U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 AM

18,451 posts, read 9,554,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
you can disagree all you want but dieting statistics show most diets WILL FAIL . just because yours is working and mine worked for 2 years does not mean it works for the majority .

i have no weight to lose at this point so pretty much i just watch carbs and sugars not calories at all . eating is not a problem ,i still have a lot to choose from and i don't limit quanities of non carbs .
Yeah but I'm not talking about most diets, I'm talking about what I'm doing which has given me great results while everything else I tried beforehand didn't work for me.

If you're happy with your diet and results, I wouldn't suggest changing...for someone unhappy with a big fat gut and diabetes that doesn't want it like I was, I couldn't recommend The Plant Paradox any higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 AM

71,469 posts, read 71,652,652 times
i joined the facebook group to see a cross section of comments on it . so far i have to say MEH based on those commenting. not something i would likely have interest in , but glad it is working for you

Old 11-20-2018, 07:51 AM

9,800 posts, read 5,476,447 times
Hmmmmm.....

As I said in my post about going to days in Work & Employment, I appear to be in better shape than my male co workers despite us all being in our mid 50s at least. Able to lift floor tiles with one (my right) hand, to do constant up and down and up again motion. I get compliments about it and it rather amazes me.

So what's the secret? A whole bunch of things. First of all, we can't deny that in addition to working in IT that I am an active professional diver and an active belly dancer with more emphasis on the latter. That is, the other day, when I was doing constant up and down and up again motion working in the server cabinets in a data center, one of the things that kept me going was using the frames of mind that allow me to keep dancing this or that routine, such as.....

.......unicorn power. That is, I'm a unicorn and as a magical creature of the Earth, I can draw whatever energy I need directly from the planet. Frame of mind, I believe it, I can keep on going.

Next, in my life, I have been a trained athlete. I am not athlete now, not really, I can't run anymore due to a stage injury (oh, I can kick the legs into motion but it feels like one leg is trying to pile drive through the body), but I can still dance, swim, do mermaid, etc.. The training of being an athlete, though, is still there. That's why I think I can lift things easier than my male co workers; the muscles of the body will all work as one when the need is called for.

I say "little bionic arm" and that's another one of those frames of mind but what it comes down to is not just the arm lifting but all the muscles in the body lifting.

Other things are items like using my dance moves in my daily life like pirouettes in checking my 6 when I am walking on the street, not eating snack bar food, and constantly seeking ways to reduce my background stress (though this shift change isn't helping that).

NOW, one of the things I do need to do? Is get back to working on the house and put my dance room into operation so I can be using my barre. It's more a function of a focus of myself, being who I am, what I am, a focus against the negativity of spirit than the actual stretching. If I get that room in order, I can also return to doing weights which might me a counter against coming home and just collapsing for 10-12 hours before I have to return to work.

One other thing before I click off is that living alone, I find having music playing to essential to the positive outlook of life. The catch is that I often forget about it and the house is quiet.....and then things fall into disarray.

Got to run.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:17 AM

3,479 posts, read 1,910,652 times
Quote:
you can disagree all you want but dieting statistics show most diets WILL FAIL ..
Indeed. Watched a show on Netflix awhile back that tried explaining why, though it didn't entirely penetrate my numb skull. I do remember the upshot of it though. Basically, once a person has become fat it will be a struggle to lose weight and then a much bigger one to actually keep it off.

They must eat less calories and exercise more than the "average" person to keep from ballooning up again.

Once overweight, hunger pangs will constantly be driving the person to eat more than they need in order to return to the bodies' previously "normal" status. Hardly seems fair, and most people understandably just aren't up to the challenge of constantly fighting back hunger.

The corollary is: If you imagine that thin people are frequently hungry-probably not.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,213 times
I am trying hard to beat the odds. If I make it to March (and I strongly believe I will), I can add my data to the National Weight Control Registry. You have to keep 30 or more pounds off a year or more to participate in the study. Lots of people probably lie and add it even if they shouldn't, but I think the data there is pretty good. What it says is that most people manage by watching their weight like hawks. The vast majority of people weigh very often. The majority also have maintained an increase in activity; it may be true that weight loss happens in the kitchen, but you keep it off all over the house, out in the yard, at the gym and wherever.

IMO, what helps the most about exercise and activities is not the calorie burn; it's getting involved in things that make you care about yourself. Activities are a big component in the vague "lifestyle change" everyone talks about as being necessary to keep it off.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Indeed. Watched a show on Netflix awhile back that tried explaining why, though it didn't entirely penetrate my numb skull. I do remember the upshot of it though. Basically, once a person has become fat it will be a struggle to lose weight and then a much bigger one to actually keep it off.

They must eat less calories and exercise more than the "average" person to keep from ballooning up again.

Once overweight, hunger pangs will constantly be driving the person to eat more than they need in order to return to the bodies' previously "normal" status. Hardly seems fair, and most people understandably just aren't up to the challenge of constantly fighting back hunger.

The corollary is: If you imagine that thin people are frequently hungry-probably not.
There is something called adaptive thermogenesis that technically isn't exactly the same as lowering metabolism a little but the result is the same. It happens to people that lose a lot and/or lose very quickly. It can result in burning a couple of hundred less calories a day than the calculators say. That won't happen to nearly everyone, but will happen to some people. The hunger thing is leptin production. Leptin is a hormone that inhibits hunger. This is stuff I have learned from reading studies.

This next bit is part opinion based on that. The problem is that there is no reset button. The amount of food in the system it took to kick up leptin production was slowly adjusted up by years of overeating. But we aren't supposed to eat everything in sight until a hormone kicks in to make us stop anyway. If you are going to burn less energy doing nothing than you used to - don't do nothing.

While the failure figures are depressing, I think they are too often presented as an inevitable outcome. For a lot of people, it's a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post

typically what happens is people lose weight by cutting calories . they burn both muscle and fat. you can't pick which . since it is muscle that burns calories and fat is inert and does not , each cycle of weight loss leaves them in worse shape then the previous cycle .

you need to build muscle when losing large amounts of weight or muscle gets burned too

Old 11-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
typically what happens is people lose weight by cutting calories . they burn both muscle and fat. you can't pick which . since it is muscle that burns calories and fat is inert and does not , each cycle of weight loss leaves them in worse shape then the previous cycle .

you need to build muscle when losing large amounts of weight or muscle gets burned too
It is extremely difficult to increase muscle mass while losing weight. it usually has to be done in cut/bulk cycles, which is what serious bodybuilders do.

When you have a fair amount of fat stores, most of what you burn will be fat. If you exercise a lot while losing, you will lose less muscle than a sedentary dieter. If your rate of loss is high, it causes you to lose more muscle than if you lose slower.

it's kind of like what I said about the failure rate; yes, it is true that it often works out that way but it should not be accepted as inevitable. There is a lot of irrational emotion tied up in getting fit. I try to look at things in a positive light because I am committed to making this work and I think that helps.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:56 AM

tell me about it , i initially lost 50 lbs . it is very hard to gain muscle back while losing . but i did it but it required pretty heavy workouts .

Old 11-20-2018, 12:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,958,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those of you in your 50s or 60s probably will not understand. But maybe you should. I know I didn't at that age. I had the idea which was true that I could exert some effort and be strong and healthy. At 72 that has idea is fading. For the past several months I have been traveling and hiking on a frequent basis. Finally I have legs of steel. It took a long time to reach that point.

After months of traveling I will soon be returning home to a more sedentary lifestyle. Those legs of steel will soon turn to mush.

Today I walked for several miles on the sand flats at Death Valley. Then I went out and walked for miles more. As I said great, but mush will soon follow when I stop the daily miles of hiking. My upper body is already mush. The past few days I finally woke up and realized my upper body has turned to mush. I grabbed some exercise bands and tried and tried to overcome months without exercise. I am pissed and tried and tried again to make a difference. Sadly I know it would take months and months and months to make much of a difference. That made me even more pissed.

A few days ago, I was at artists palette in Death Valley. The typical visitor gets out of the car, looks at the scenery and departs in less than 3 minutes. Meanwhile just a few minutes of walking is rewarded with fantastic, surreal scenes that are unique and special. In addition to walking all of the canyons and trails, I spent time watching the visitors. Most visitors arrive at the overlook, take a cellphone snap and then departs within 3 minutes. A few visitors spent longer and may actually walk a few hundred yards. Most of those are foreign visitors.

So I ranted for a while, but I think there is a message here. Research shows the advantages of exercise. We need to exercise all of our muscles on a regular basis and that becomes more and more important as we age. In addition to that there seems to be something drastically wrong with our culture. People from other cultures seem to be less obese, have fewer "joint" issues and exercise more.
I don't know why, but this post reminded me of the Seinfeld episode where the son, father and grandfather all tried to prove they were stronger than Jerry, and ended up in hospital beds from trying to lift too much.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement