U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 AM

8,760 posts, read 10,834,959 times

Advertisements

I was in the best shape of my life at about 45-50, which is the last time I seriously worked-out on a regular basis for gain. Even then, the diminishing returns required 6+ months work to achieve what I used to achieve in 2-3 months. Now, at 71, I still work-out some, but, more to maintain my cardio, keep a little muscle tone and supplement efforts to improve my diet and lose some weight. Along these lines, I've never been a runner (no 'lungs'), so have substituted weights with some cardio

Ironically, it seems like I can virtually watch myself gain weight and lose muscle tone, but, barely notice the results of my efforts to go the other way. I guess that's why so many older folks lose interest in working-out. Like it or not, I too am getting older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 09:27 AM

71,508 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Young people with a newspaper? It's phones at my gym. I have seen a few older people with books. There is a drop off with attention span. I usually do the ARCTrainer ~45 minutes at ~100 SPM (steps per minute) with the resistance setting at 45 (3 of 3 bars, though you can go higher within the upper range). HR is around 150. A few days ago, I downloaded something to watch on my phone and I dropped to about 85 SPM and a HR around 140. But it was a 2 hour feature film, so I think I did okay. I do hear people justify not doing exercise because of their daily activity level. Some are right but most are not.

I am pretty close to the point where just maintaining the level of fitness will be all I really want to do, but even that will take a significant amount of regular exercise.
As we say at the gym the workouts never get easier , they get longer and harder to stay in that maintain mode . As I run over time I am forced to run faster as at the older pace heart rate drops from just becoming more efficient at it.

Thankfully my wife pushes us or I would give this life as a hamster on a wheel up. But she is better than me at having discipline. 6 days a week we are there by 7am latest.

She is even better than me diet wise. I mean this woman can take 1 fork of cake and she is done . I mean she is in better shape then 98% of women her age but still , you can eat that cake. Ha ha.. I am diabetic and eat more goodies then she does and I am pretty good for me.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM

5,415 posts, read 2,819,339 times
What is this with exercising only on vacation? You can exercise right from or near home.

I exercise 7 days per week, all year ‘round, just like I have since my teens. The only time I didn’t do that, it was 6 days of bike race training per week, and I liked having one day off.

In the warmer seasons, this consists of a mix of kayaking, cycling, or hiking days. In winter, it goes to nearly all hiking, except on days when there is snow to shovel—then the exercise is a few hrs of shoveling snow! Although I don’t do it every year, some winters I also hit the gym for weight training.

Recently, I wondered why my shoes were lasting only about a year. I figured out that, averaging out the foot miles, they were getting walked 1800 miles per year. When a bigger percentage of my exercise days was spent cycling or kayaking, the shoes lasted longer. Well, duh. A pair of good new shoes each year is a small price to pay for good health and enjoyment of the outdoors. We are lucky to live in a beautiful area with, sometimes, almost too many things we want to do.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:39 AM

221 posts, read 115,909 times
Is there a fitness minded person near you which you can partner with? Motivation can link with obligation as you'd feel guilty to 'no show' for a work out. The two Senior Centers in my city have cardio/weight facilities. Like minded folks partake from 8am-9pm six days a week. Annual fee of $130. is reasonable. Modern and clean a lot of us have routines that find us constantly running into each other. Good friendships have developed. We look forward to heading to the gym. Great development when the destination is to sweat it out!

Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 AM

71,508 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Find a work out friend with benefits. Ha ha ha . The ultimate solution . Of course their spouse may not agree

Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM

5,393 posts, read 21,388,001 times
I have been a regular but not religious exerciser over the years, tend to be overweight, and a failure as a runner. Generally in the gym about three or four hours a week, and active with other activities.

I recently had periods of unprecedented fatigue with sustained high exertion and finally sought help and an angiogram showed I have a fully blocked artery but have developed collateral arteries, basically a do it yourself bypass... clearly not the capacity to allow the high level of activity I desire at 70, but enough to avoid a heart attack.

The cardiologist is treating me with drugs (beta blocker) and says I can credit my life and relative wellbeing due to exercise (and of course genes).

Being 'in shape' is a relative measurement but really important to your life span.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 AM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
I've never been very athletic but thank goodness for Silver Sneakers. Even though all I do is use an indoor pool, at least it's exercise, gives you a workout and it's aerobic. I do a few of my old PT exercises while I'm there at the pool.

Used to love cross country skiing when I was younger but it seemed that the good skiing took place while I was at work! Now I have the time but the bindings have changed. Again. And I can't find my ski poles. Would have to buy new ski boots. Done with that.

One thing to my advantage: my apartment is on the second floor so I get exercise that way. My legs have never looked better, lol. There's a stair lift but I only use it to haul the groceries up the stairs.

Walking the dog is good exercise. Another reason why they are men's and WOMEN'S best friend--they keep taking us out for walkies.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 AM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
I bet I could come close to guessing someone's age by the advise they give on this subject. Under 70 the advice is just go out and do it. Over about 70 it seems clear that doing it has little or no positive effect.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Is there a fitness minded person near you which you can partner with? Motivation can link with obligation as you'd feel guilty to 'no show' for a work out. The two Senior Centers in my city have cardio/weight facilities. Like minded folks partake from 8am-9pm six days a week. Annual fee of $130. is reasonable. Modern and clean a lot of us have routines that find us constantly running into each other. Good friendships have developed. We look forward to heading to the gym. Great development when the destination is to sweat it out!
Mixed feelings...

If you are serious about working out, the social aspect cuts your efficiency. There are a couple of guys at PF that seem to have nearly the same schedule as me. One of them seems to have a lot more experience than the other, demonstrating form, watching and giving tips a lot. If they are there an hour, they probably do maybe 45 minutes of exercise. I haven't seen one of them there without the other. I could be wrong as I am inferring this, but it seems like neither comes unless they can both make it. This would make you miss days more often instead of less often.

OTOH, I need more social interaction IRL. If someone wanted to meet up at the gym regularly, I should probably take them up on it.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:05 AM

5,415 posts, read 2,819,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I bet I could come close to guessing someone's age by the advise they give on this subject. Under 70 the advice is just go out and do it. Over about 70 it seems clear that doing it has little or no positive effect.
Wrong. I have met people in their 70s and 80s who are in excellent shape and loving life. They didn’t get that way by sloughing off exercise. Some of these people could kick the butt of those half their age. Not by superior speed or strength (those capacities diminish with age), but by going for as long as they intend to.

Some perceptions are skewed by seeing what other seniors in your region do. It’s great to live in places where many older people are climbing mountains, cycling, running, etc. It becomes normalized, as opposed to being some extraordinary effort. Where we used to live, people would exclaim about “how far you walked from your home!” Every time I heard this, I pointed out that the entire length of the town was less than 4 miles. And that much as driving their Prius to a cafe was “green,” it wasn’t as green as walking there and certainly didn’t provide any exercise.

Last edited by pikabike; 11-13-2018 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement