U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:17 PM

17,372 posts, read 21,223,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would say the biggest benefit of exercise for the elderly is to stave off and slow the speed of further degeneration.
And let's not forget that sleep is very healing to the body. I'm trying to get in extra sleep and, thus, I feel that I don't need to exercise as much. 9-10 hours of sleep every day and wish I could increase that to 10-12 hours a day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 PM

6,223 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Enjoy that walking, I did. Now I have two knees that don't work anymore. It can happen to you too.
My right knee was dislocated and will never be the same. Left as a torn meniscus. I deal with the pain but eventually I will need to go bionic.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:45 PM

11,121 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And let's not forget that sleep is very healing to the body. I'm trying to get in extra sleep and, thus, I feel that I don't need to exercise as much. 9-10 hours of sleep every day and wish I could increase that to 10-12 hours a day!
You've posted this before and it doesn't make any sense. Sleep isn't going to keep your muscles from atrophying. Nor will it condition your cardiovascular system.

Exercise or not but don't delude yourself.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Enjoy that walking, I did. Now I have two knees that don't work anymore. It can happen to you too.
I dislocated my right knee. It will never be the same again. The left has a torn meniscus. So far I can deal with the pain. I am sure I will need to be bionic eventually. Sounds like you are ready for that now. Instead of complaining and losing you mobility, maybe your should consider knee replacements.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wrong. I have met people in their 70s and 80s who are in excellent shape and loving life. .......
I am sure there are a few. I belong to an organization with over 1000 retirees. Most of them in their 80s are not doing well at all. Unfortunately the death toll is all but constant. In addition to losing strength and abilities, the life insurance tables tell a sad, sad tale. How old are you and how long do you expect to live?

Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Regarding building muscle mass for seniors:

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...-after-age-60/

He goes on: "The key," he continues, "is regular and progressive weight training."
Bull Hockey! He also states: "You can rebuild them, even if you are middle-aged or older." Middle aged is one thing, 70s and 80s is quite different as has been documented in lots of studies.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:

Sooner or later you will make 24 hours but don't expect any healing.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:53 AM

71,490 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Quote:
One thing has nothing to do with the other . If I slept instead of running I would be on so many more meds .

This is just silly advice..

I hope you don’t really believe this bull

Old 11-14-2018, 02:47 AM

1,151 posts, read 949,862 times
A lot of good comments here, especially since this topic is on my mind these days. I'm 65 now and used to exercise regularly but have lapsed. I want to get my weight down and reduce my blood pressure. I drink wine, which may contribute to both of those issues, so I need to cut back or stop that consumption. But ... I need to get back to exercise. Plantar Fasciitis kinda derailed my running, which I used to love.

On a related note, on a visit to LA in about 2017, I read about a 78-yo Korean guy living there who had climbed Mt. Baldy (10,064 ft) more than 700 times. I was very impressed. I wish I could have met him. It was sad to hear later that he died after falling on one of his climbs. Despite the tragedy, I still find him to be an inspiration to keep going, keep active, as we get older.

Last edited by madrone2k; 11-14-2018 at 02:59 AM..

Old 11-14-2018, 06:18 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I dislocated my right knee. It will never be the same again. The left has a torn meniscus. So far I can deal with the pain. I am sure I will need to be bionic eventually. Sounds like you are ready for that now. Instead of complaining and losing you mobility, maybe your should consider knee replacements.
You are 72 and having knee problems. I was having knee problems when I was 70. I am now 81. My advice for what its worth is , if you are considering TKR, do it early rather than later. I went the knee injection (Synvis) route and it worked great for about 10 years, now it no longer works and Iím faced with the prospect of two knee replacements. That will take over a year of recovery with no guarentee of success. If you wait till you are in your eightyís, the decision is a lot harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement