U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 11:19 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Maybe it is a good thing I do not belong to a retiree organization. Wouldnít want to think that a defeatist attitude is OK, at any age.

Averages donít mean much to an individual who lives differently from ďaverage.Ē

I am old enough to tell I donít have the strength I had in my 20s but young enough to keep doing what I have always done...exercise as an essential part of my day. The exact age is irrelevant, not to mention NOYB.

I could drop dead tomorrow. Or not. I am not going to stop doing what I do because the ďaverageĒ person of my age doesnít live the same way. People always mistake me for being decades younger than I am, so I donít intend to sit around all day and feel old.
This is exactly why I kicked it up several notches last year - next month I will enter my 60s in good shape; well above average. As you say, you could drop dead tomorrow. Obviously so could I. But the odds that I will make it into my 60s and much further in good physical shape are significantly improved. I don't want to give up because of what happens to the average person; I want to use that as an incentive to maintain an above average fitness profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:28 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,932,559 times
To put it in Dorothy Zbornak's words: "Your life sounds like an advertisement for a mini pad."

Old 11-14-2018, 11:53 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,067,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
One thing has nothing to do with the other . If I slept instead of running I would be on so many more meds .

This is just silly advice..

I hope you donít really believe this bull
Wow what a snide comment.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Wow what a snide comment.
M jack said the truth. If you slept in place of exercising you would be a flubbery blob. Not sure how you get snide.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:20 PM

Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
M jack said the truth. If you slept in place of exercising you would be a flubbery blob. Not sure how you get snide.

I should have said- if I just slept instead of exercising- I would be a flubbery blob. You may be naturally skinny.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 PM

14,217 posts, read 44,870,326 times
OP, I take your point that it gets harder past about 70, or anyway it has been harder for you starting at 70 - but, so what? I still work out at 61, yeah, I can't get the gains I got at 21, for various reasons - so what can I do? Give up? Hell no!

If you are retired, you really should be able to find 3 to 6 hours a week to work out. As Sporty noted, you need to include some weight training in your regime. If you have problems with your knees or hips such that running or walking is out - do something else.

Diet will of course also play a role. Older people are less able to "run away from a bad diet" the way a kid can. C'est la vie.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:49 PM

14,217 posts, read 44,870,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Bull Hockey! He also states: "You can rebuild them, even if you are middle-aged or older." Middle aged is one thing, 70s and 80s is quite different as has been documented in lots of studies.

To quote Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - either way, you're right!"

You are some 10 years older than I am so no doubt it is harder for you. Fine, I get that. That should not and must not appear to you as an excuse to give up!

Now if you guys will pardon me, I have to get to lunch with a 70-something guy who retired and now spends his summers sailing a vintage and increasingly valuable Swan sail boat, and who has lost considerable weight and so got his previous a-fib problems to go away.

"When you are saying something is impossible, expect to be interrupted by somebody else who is doing it!"

Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,067,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Yeah you are right. A person should get about 8 hours of sleep a day and 10 to 12 hours of intense exercise a day to stay fit.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Yeah you are right. A person should get about 8 hours of sleep a day and 10 to 12 hours of intense exercise a day to stay fit.
Not at all what I said- but if you really want to take offense- Knock yourself out. I just wonder why you are so adversarial. Not enough afternoon delight?

Old 11-14-2018, 01:41 PM

25,972 posts, read 32,962,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Those of you in your 50s or 60s probably will not understand. But maybe you should. I know I didn't at that age. I had the idea which was true that I could exert some effort and be strong and healthy. At 72 that has idea is fading. For the past several months I have been traveling and hiking on a frequent basis. Finally I have legs of steel. It took a long time to reach that point.

After months of traveling I will soon be returning home to a more sedentary lifestyle. Those legs of steel will soon turn to mush.

Today I walked for several miles on the sand flats at Death Valley. Then I went out and walked for miles more. As I said great, but mush will soon follow when I stop the daily miles of hiking. My upper body is already mush. The past few days I finally woke up and realized my upper body has turned to mush. I grabbed some exercise bands and tried and tried to overcome months without exercise. I am pissed and tried and tried again to make a difference. Sadly I know it would take months and months and months to make much of a difference. That made me even more pissed.

A few days ago, I was at artists palette in Death Valley. The typical visitor gets out of the car, looks at the scenery and departs in less than 3 minutes. Meanwhile just a few minutes of walking is rewarded with fantastic, surreal scenes that are unique and special. In addition to walking all of the canyons and trails, I spent time watching the visitors. Most visitors arrive at the overlook, take a cellphone snap and then departs within 3 minutes. A few visitors spent longer and may actually walk a few hundred yards. Most of those are foreign visitors.

So I ranted for a while, but I think there is a message here. Research shows the advantages of exercise. We need to exercise all of our muscles on a regular basis and that becomes more and more important as we age. In addition to that there seems to be something drastically wrong with our culture. People from other cultures seem to be less obese, have fewer "joint" issues and exercise more.
Choir here. Iím nearing 63, and still go to the gym regularly as I have since I was 27. No mush here, I have muscles, and no plans to change my exercise habits. Why would you not continue your hikes? I donít understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement