Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 03:33 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i did it for two years . the problem was i really missed meat .

i tried a hamburger after not eating meat for about 18 months and it made me sick . i no longer had the bacteria's that break down meat properly . so it kept me good for a while longer .

but about 6 months later i tried a steak . game over . no illness .. i knew then man did not claw his way to the top of the food chain to eat rice and broccoli .

as the bumper sticker says " i love all of gods creatures , especially with gravy and mashed potatoes "
I know of no studies that prove vegans/vegetarians live longer, healthier lives than meat eaters. I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I have seen some rather unhealthy looking vegans/vegetarians. Thin yes but often kind of pasty and gant looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
most vegans i know look sickly .

Old 11-18-2018, 03:46 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
I bet you noticed during the 2 years of being vegan, you didn't feel as strong. I have a buddy tell me that. He was a former vegan.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:52 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I bet you noticed during the 2 years of being vegan, you didn't feel as strong. I have a buddy tell me that. He was a former vegan.
That's likely because they aren't getting enough protein. Being a vegan/vegetarian isn't about just eating vegetables. People who do it "for a living" because they come from a culture where they have been veg since birth eat lots of beans, legumes, and pulses - that's where they get the protein - they actually don't eat all that many vegetables when it comes down to it. Certainly they don't eat a lot of what we typically call salads or "rabbit food".

Old 11-18-2018, 03:54 PM

106,557 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I did it prior to my weightlifting years

Old 11-18-2018, 03:58 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times
You can't really generalize about vegans, though, as Tom Brady and others demonstrate.

NFL players' surprising new performance hack—going vegan
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/31/why-...ing-vegan.html

Note - As mentioned earlier, I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian. I get most of my protein from poultry and dairy. But I don't think it is the only way to be healthy, especially when there is so much evidence that says it isn't true.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
How so?

I know three vegans. One is my 20 yr old daughter, and she's gained a lot of weight and muscle since adopting this diet a couple years ago. College student, works out at the gym regularly, and eats a lot! Not much fake meat either, though she did make a dish utilizing jackfruit instead of pork-Pulled Jackfruit?-that was pretty good.

The other two are very healthy young adults, 30 somethings, more active than most people their age.
One of them you'd probably never guess by looking at him because he's a husky guy over 200 lbs.
The other would fit the profile as she's a small, thin woman about 100 lbs. Try keeping up with her though! She's a real dynamo.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:19 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
How so?

I know three vegans. One is my 20 yr old daughter, and she's gained a lot of weight and muscle since adopting this diet a couple years ago. College student, works out at the gym regularly, and eats a lot! Not much fake meat either, though she did make a dish utilizing jackfruit instead of pork-Pulled Jackfruit?-that was pretty good.

The other two are very healthy young adults, 30 somethings, more active than most people their age.
One of them you'd probably never guess by looking at him because he's a husky guy over 200 lbs.
The other would fit the profile as she's a small, thin woman about 100 lbs. Try keeping up with her though! She's a real dynamo.
My husband and I love any dishes made from jackfruit. It’s so chewed, it’s like meat.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:21 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I know a few overweight vegetarians; especially lacto/ovo vegetarians who eat a lot of cheese, often on top of pizza. I know a few overweight vegans also. You can pack it on with beans and rice, maybe some cobbler for dessert. I think mostly the younger generation is just more aware of things I wasn't and make their own decisions. It won't be my generation that will have to deal with it if the scientists are right about sustainability of providing meat the way we do it now. It could be they will get that "meat in a petri dish" process perfected or at least producing acceptable results.

Even I have my limits; no crickets for me...

Also, it isn't nearly as hard to justify pork as beef if sustainability because of land use is a concern. I think it is likely that rising prices will lower demand and impact.
Sheep roams around in the hills in England. Nothing unnatural about it. I can see beef, you need to raise it. Some people eat goat meat, I see them in my local supermarket. They also roam around freely.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:29 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
we have it down to weight days 40 minutes , cardio days 1 hour . we hate the gym and working out but it is our way of life . we don't want to be there any longer than we have to . 18 years of this crap is no fun .....
18 years is nothing. Been a gymmer for 35+ years, at least twice a week and often 5 times a week.
But I enjoy it and always have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement