Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You are talking about California when it comes to efficiency of water use and land, in England there’s no water necessary. Maybe this year it was a bit dry. But you can’t grow at these hills anyway. That’s why they are used to raise sheep,
Then it sounds like an efficient and non destructive use of a resource; carry on.

My biggest beef (pun intended) is with grain fed stock raised in arid/semi-arid regions and/or areas where droughts are common. This inefficiency is hard to justify when so many are going hungry.

My personal objection to eating mammals is just that - personal. Plenty of people tell me it's stupid and plenty of people tell me I should feel the same compassion for poultry and fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 10:56 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is great. 35 years several times a week and probably at least an hour each time. That really adds up. Have you done the equivalent to improve your knowledge and critical thinking?
So what you're saying is that your image of someone who is strong (which is what you purport to want for yourself) is a meathead who is otherwise not too bright - or at least they don't spend much if any time cultivating other aspects of themselves?

See, this is the crux of the matter. You have an image of yourself and you can't achieve what you want because you'll have to spend more time doing stuff you think only others should have to do. So, you WILL turn to mush because you don't want to be one of THOSE people sweating it out in a gym and lifting heavy things. That is YOUR choice.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the ones i knew let themselves to get to skinny . they looked drawn and shapeless for guys .

if they stood sideways and stuck their tongue out they would look like a zipper
Sounds like most runners I know, regardless of diet, including me.

Look at this guy. He eats over 4500 calories a day and is still quite thin. What Grant Campbell Eats in a Day | Home of The 80/10/10 Diet by Dr. Douglas Graham, Low-Fat Vegan Raw Food Health, Fitness, and Sports Performance

Hard to put away enough calories to gain weight when you're that active.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:32 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
the days i run i don't even get full . i just get tired lifting things to eat

Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Fortunately, we have millions of square miles of land that is suitable only for grazing.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:49 AM

as they say ----if god did not want man to eat animals he would not have made them out of meat . lol

Old 11-20-2018, 04:27 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,473 times
Quote:
as they say ----if god did not want man to eat animals he would not have made them out of meat . lol
PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

Old 11-20-2018, 04:35 AM

there are lots of things we can do temporarily diet wise but eventually they fail . diets fail because trying to eat less then makes you full is like trying to breath half a lung of air . hunger is a pain to the body and no one can deal long term with hunger voluntarily .

so how we eat and what we eat is usually based on personal choices eventually , that leaves us satisfied .

it usually is very different from the original far less calorie meals we started out with on that diet .

for me vegetables and salad was not really food , it went with food . if someone brought me a salad it was the precursor that told you real food would soon arrive . so i endured being a vegan as long as i could but i could never live like that .

Old 11-20-2018, 05:04 AM

30,349 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
there are lots of things we can do temporarily diet wise but eventually they fail . diets fail because trying to eat less then makes you full is like trying to breath half a lung of air . hunger is a pain to the body and no one can deal long term with hunger voluntarily .

so how we eat and what we eat is usually based on personal choices eventually , that leaves us satisfied .

it usually is very different from the original far less calorie meals we started out with on that diet .

for me vegetables and salad was not really food , it went with food . if someone brought me a salad it was the precursor that told you real food would soon arrive . so i endured being a vegan as long as i could but i could never live like that .
I disagree because I started following the recommendations in The Plant Paradox 15 months ago and lost all of my big gut, got down to 10% bodyfat, 45% muscle, went from diabetic back to normal sugar numbers, and holding it and I haven't been hungry and it's been ridiculously easy for me to maintain.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 AM

you can disagree all you want but dieting statistics show most diets WILL FAIL . just because yours is working and mine worked for 2 years does not mean it works for the majority .

i have no weight to lose at this point so pretty much i just watch carbs and sugars not calories at all . eating is not a problem ,i still have a lot to choose from and i don't limit quanities of non carbs .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement