U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:47 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,960,359 times

Advertisements

Yeah Im somewhere in the middle. I can understand the attraction but don't think it's for me for the foreseeable future. I wish I had done something like this when I was younger (would have even just used a van or small car) but now with a young family that time has passed. Perhaps things will change in a few decades but I don't anticipate it.

The other issue is that I am very much a city traveler and like to spend most of my time in urban areas/concrete jungles. I can definitely see the appeal of being able to park at a campsite and explore nature, or park by a lake, mountain top, etc, but for me that would only be fun for a week at a time. Given my propensity for urban escapades, it makes much more sense to just get hotels or STRs than be a full-time RVer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 02:06 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Spend retirement in an RV? To quote Marlon Brando, "the horror, the horror."

Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Have they spent a protracted length of time RVing before?

I was looking at a world cruise for us in 2020 while being very aware that there's a huge difference between being on a ship for 11 days and really living on a ship for 132 days. Same goes for RVing.

I would never try to discourage anyone from following their dream. But I am concerned about the crowds on the interstates. With this bustling economy, there are more big rigs than ever on the road. I went from Northern California to Colorado this summer, through 8 states in two weeks. There would be even more trucks on the roads but manufacturers can't keep up with the orders flowing in.

What health insurance solution did they come up with?
They've owned their RV for several years and spend a week or two at a time in it several times a year. My bro actually lived in a small travel trailer once for a couple years, so he's aware of the limitations. Both he and his wife were bus drivers for the last 20+ years, so they are very comfortable on the highway. They plan to camp at each location for a month or two before moving on.

They have retiree health insurance through their employer, but they will have to take the "out of state" option, a PPO plan until they are old enough for Medicare, and then it will be an advantage plan.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:20 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I know a couple of people who ended up spending a lot more than they thought they would. The guy who started my company says he mostly does it because he likes having so much of his stuff with him and sometimes he goes to remote places without having to rough it. But he said over the long haul, with the purchase (he does have a nice RV), gas, insurance, maintenance and campsite fees at popular destinations, his nightly costs would pay for a really nice hotel room instead.
So how long does it take to break even on a $60,000 RV that gets 8 miles to a gallon of gas? Compared to a car that gets 30 mph? With RV campground fees what they are you’re saving maybe $70 a night over a three star motel. Plus you are having to drive this big vehicle. When my mother retired she and her boyfriend tried the RV .lifestyle. They were burned out after four months. Fortunately she did not sell her house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

They have retiree health insurance through their employer, but they will have to take the "out of state" option, a PPO plan until they are old enough for Medicare, and then it will be an advantage plan.
As a trained Medicare counselor, just know that if you need medical help with an Advantage plan and you are out of your network, which is easy to do when you are traveling you will not be covered. Advantage plans are not a good idea for people who like to travel. Come to my tourist area of CA, get sick with an Advantage plan and you will be paying for treatment out of pocket.

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-13-2018 at 03:35 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 PM

115 posts, read 50,200 times
One other thing no one seems to mention: RVs are not really built for full time living. (I've never owned an expensive motor home so maybe those are different). The floors tend to give out over time. The other thing is cleaning that small space. You basically move everything from the front of the trailer to the back, clean, then move it all from the back to the front. I've spent several years living in travel trailers. I'd like a house to grow old in.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:57 PM

628 posts, read 401,624 times
It sounds fun to me, but I think my goats and chickens would disagree.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
It sounds fun to me, but I think my goats and chickens would disagree.
Eat the goats and chickens and then you are free to travel.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I just don't see the attraction to being in an RV all the time. It seems like there would be problems every day. Just driving a huge beast of an RV through big city traffic would be more stress than I want in retirement. If I want to see the USA, there are planes and hotel rooms that would suit me just fine.

Good point. For reasons I cannot begin to understand many Americans have to have an RV that is as big as a mobile home. My wife and I full timed in a truck camper. It was plenty comfortable with a queen sized bed, 3 burner stove, double sink, refrigerator, shower, A/C, heat, hot water, and enough storage for year around clothing, computers, camera gear and other toys. I am currently in Death Valley and just spent the past couple hours listening to Tom Cruise in the Last Samurai. Tomorrow I move on to the Mojave Preserve... no hotel rooms there.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
One other thing no one seems to mention: RVs are not really built for full time living. (I've never owned an expensive motor home so maybe those are different). The floors tend to give out over time. The other thing is cleaning that small space. You basically move everything from the front of the trailer to the back, clean, then move it all from the back to the front. I've spent several years living in travel trailers. I'd like a house to grow old in.
We bought ours used and then lived in it full time for 2 years and part time for 6 more years. There is nothing at all wrong with the floors, or toilet, or shower, or bed, or fridge...... I have had some minor repairs such as replacing the water pump, but those have been really minor compared with maintaining a house. I have no idea what you are talking about with the cleaning issues. I have nothing to move..there is no furniture. I wipe down the dusty surfaces and sweep the floors. There is a lot, lot less to clean when compared with a house.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We bought ours used and then lived in it full time for 2 years and part time for 6 more years. There is nothing at all wrong with the floors, or toilet, or shower, or bed, or fridge...... I have had some minor repairs such as replacing the water pump, but those have been really minor compared with maintaining a house. I have no idea what you are talking about with the cleaning issues. I have nothing to move..there is no furniture. I wipe down the dusty surfaces and sweep the floors. There is a lot, lot less to clean when compared with a house.
That's what I was wondering...move what? Everything is attached to the floor. Sweep & mop, or vacuum, wipe down surfaces, done. I can probably clean an RV faster than I can clean my bedroom and bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or