U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:56 AM

6,212 posts, read 4,718,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OK, reasonable question.

I got in the daily habit of wearing a pedometer when I was trying to achieve 10,000 steps a day. Today I spent the whole day at the AZ house and logged 8,363 steps, almost all inside the house. I start feeling lousy if I sit down for more than 20 minutes at a time. There have been rainy days when I've basically been confined inside the van. Then I get fewer than 1,000 steps.

It's also possible the novelty has worn off after 3 years.
I just spent 4 months traveling and had plenty of rainy days especially on Washington and Oregon coasts. It rarely rained heavy all day long. On rainy days I tended to spend more time in the RV especially if the rain was heavy. I was outdoors every day usually the majority of the day. There is an old saying that there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing. I have a good rain parka and clothing warm enough for the coldest weather I encounter before moving on.

Also I would not trust the steps that pedometer tallies when you are indoors. You are probably getting a lot less exercise than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 07:32 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,381,326 times
I, too, try to log 10k steps a day on my pedometer, but I, too, believe "there's no such thing as bad weather -- only inappropriate clothing." If I wanted exercise or felt hemmed in, I'd have no problem going for a walk or even a hike in any weather, as I do now. If you rely on indoor mileage, you could always find a mall or indoor track, and I can see where a 3k sf house would come in handy for that, but the trade-off wouldn't be worth it (to me, anyway). I do think many believe they need more space than they think they need simply because that's the cultural norm here. I never tire of hearing prospective buyers and renters on "House Hunters International" complain about how small European bedrooms are. What are you going to do in there besides sleep; throw a party?

But to each his own; that's why they make so many different styles and sizes of campers!

Old 11-28-2018, 08:05 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,452,717 times
When I moved here, the best apartment for me was a 2bedroom HUD complex due to my age and physical disability. I never use the second bedroom. It has been a storage room for the most part, which tells me that if I hadn't used the things in it for a year, I probably don't need them. There's really not much in there though.

One good thing is that when I decided to move here, I seriously downsized. There's still a lot I have to reduce in order to become a full time nomad but I could rent a small storage shed until I get the vehicle I want and decide after that. I have 10 months before I have to make a decision.

In that time I will research, research, and research more. I do know that with paying rent and utilities I am only able to save $100-$150 a month. That will be reduced somewhat as I will be buying camping essentials each month until I have the desired products to camp comfortably. Whatever I decide in living arrangements, Arizona fascinates me and I plan to explore it.

Since I'm retired I'm not on a time schedule and if I don't decide when my lease is up, I would then have another year to decide. I'm fairly certain I will have made a decision before then but I have that option.

I love retirement!

Old 11-28-2018, 10:28 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I agree with you, Dave. Couldn't rep you again because you have such wise responses I've rep'd you too often.

It is my hope that this post is not closed due to negativity as I am very interested in everyone's responses and experiences.

Please be mindful, respectful and nice to each other.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:36 PM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
Judging by the number of reps apparently many share my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or