U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 11:59 AM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Whether dogs or cats... it is the pet owner that is the problem, not the pet. If someone is going to have a pet it takes time and energy to take proper care of them, train them etc., I grew up in NYC with my parents renting with pets, have been renting all mt adult life, have had pets while renting and never had a problem with urinating, dogs eating apt. bits... it's the pet owner, not the pet. Train your pets!!!
Problem: When someone applies for a rental and have an animal, owners have no way of knowing what type of pet owner is applying for the rental. So to solve the problem, NO PETS, policy is the one intelligent owners follow. I know because from 1972 until I retired, I was an investment real estate broker, and managed numerous rentals for my clients, plus was president for 3 years of a very large county wide rental owners and managers association. None of our members allowed pets, as they had found out this is the safest one for owners to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Whether dogs or cats... it is the pet owner that is the problem, not the pet. If someone is going to have a pet it takes time and energy to take proper care of them, train them etc., I grew up in NYC with my parents renting with pets, have been renting all mt adult life, have had pets while renting and never had a problem with urinating, dogs eating apt. bits... it's the pet owner, not the pet. Train your pets!!!
You are right on about that. It is too bad that owners like that ruin it for the rest of us. And for pets.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:31 PM

6,188 posts, read 2,856,740 times
Op- keep in mind that the landlords want to squeeze the turnip dry. You are basically their cash cow. They put in 5% and easy peasy the tenant pays their mortgage and upkeep. Pretty cool eh?
I am a tenant and learned that contracts ARE negotiable. Is a matter of creating equal footing.
I've no bleeding heart for landlords corporate run or mom and pop style. The burden of income is real and yes a landlord can inquire. It behooves a business to know the cow will be viable to pay up!
So to humor yourself...go in to one of these places and say hey! Can you produce your last five years of business tax...and your next five years of projective income? The reaction is priceless!
The cookie cutter response is..that's not your business to know! In which I shyly say...good we both carry the same sensibility. It's not your business to know my overall assets just that I'll pay x amount and agree to the state regulated rules of rental rights. So where do I sign? *wink*

Old 11-18-2018, 04:57 PM

14,690 posts, read 8,476,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Personally, I found that our very worst tenants were two separate young married couples with small children. They created the most damage to our property (broken blinds, crayola on the walls, kool-aid stains on the carpet) failed to take care of the landscaping as agreed, were always late on rent, and snuck in unauthorized pets.
Pretty much this. Young children do the most damage and many parents are blase about the cost/trouble of repairing it.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:19 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,779,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Op- keep in mind that the landlords want to squeeze the turnip dry. You are basically their cash cow. They put in 5% and easy peasy the tenant pays their mortgage and upkeep. Pretty cool eh?
I am a tenant and learned that contracts ARE negotiable. Is a matter of creating equal footing.
I've no bleeding heart for landlords corporate run or mom and pop style. The burden of income is real and yes a landlord can inquire. It behooves a business to know the cow will be viable to pay up!
So to humor yourself...go in to one of these places and say hey! Can you produce your last five years of business tax...and your next five years of projective income? The reaction is priceless!
The cookie cutter response is..that's not your business to know! In which I shyly say...good we both carry the same sensibility. It's not your business to know my overall assets just that I'll pay x amount and agree to the state regulated rules of rental rights. So where do I sign? *wink*
I hope you have something better to do with your time. If you were to behave like this, any LL or their agent would rightly assume that you are a difficult and contentious tenant. And they'd never rent to you. I certainly would not.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:36 PM

8,211 posts, read 2,426,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Remember, there is nothing either illegal or immoral about discriminating against young people just starting out, the unemployed, and those relocating.
And why is that? I can't think of any reason why that would be okay if race discrimination is not.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 PM

6,188 posts, read 2,856,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I hope you have something better to do with your time. If you were to behave like this, any LL or their agent would rightly assume that you are a difficult and contentious tenant. And they'd never rent to you. I certainly would not.
I appreciate your business ethics. I've yet to allow an attitude to determine the "business" goal of renting . It's a business transaction not a miss congeniality contest.
No where in my years of renting does the contract say..you must be nice,pleasant and cower to a landlord.
I believe the OP in essences ..is questiong the new ways landlords are being funded upfront . Most consumers like to know where their money is going towards before plopping down 3k.
I'm 9 years at my current condo. .each year the contract is reviewed. Sometimes the contracts tweeked to clarify. I would certainly not grace you with my funds.nothing personal mind you...it's just savvy business sense

Old 11-19-2018, 08:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,773 times
As far as renting from a private owner, we found ours right away by driving through the neighborhoods we wanted to live in. Bingo, our landlord had just placed a sign and was cleaning the house to re-rent. There was some inherent trust involved as she knew we had to find a place quickly. She then let us "break" the lease when our house became ready. We are now good friends. Too bad that isn't the case most places anymore.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:01 PM

If you think it is hard to find a rental today, it is going to get harder.

Population is increasing, especially in the cities. But rentals are not being built at the same rate the need for rentals increases.

1...Smart landlords, are going to only rent to the most prime renters.

2...They are going to make sure the income of the renter, is at least 3 times the rent, and those with even higher incomes are going to get preference.

3...Anyone with below high level credit score, is not going to get the apartment/house that is for rent.

4...The renter with great rental history as given by previous landlords. Any trouble in the past, and you will not be rented to.

5...The amount of money you have to put up front for the rental, is going to be determined by the local/state landlord tenant laws. Long time to evict, more money up front. Limit the up front money, and hard to evict. landlords will just tighten up on who gets rented to, and a lot of people will find it is impossible to find a place to live.

6...Nov3 tells above how he is going to negotiate the rent, and he wants to be in charge, it is reaching the point in many areas of the country, he is not going to find a rental. His attitude says problem tenant. People with an attitude like his, are not going to get rented to by any experienced land lord, when there is a surplus of renters to vacancies.

There is a huge shortage of rentals, in most big city areas of the country, and in many small towns like where we live. Landlords are going to be very choosy as to who they rent to.

Rentals are not a big cash cow, as most renter posters on this thread seem to think. The cash flow income after taxes in San Francisco which today is rated as the city with the lowest returns on investment, is reported to be under 3%. Have a tenant that does not pay rent, does a lot of damage to fix back up to re-rent, fighting eviction, etc., and the cash flow return can drop to -3% and worse. The only benefits that really mean anything from real estate investment: 1: Tax Benefit Return. 3: Amortization on Investment Return. 3: Appreciation in value Return. And finally last and usually the least: 4: Is a small cash flow return. This becomes the Total Return On Invested Dollars.

A lot of cities and some states with a big need yesterday for rentals to house the residents, that are putting so many restrictions on landlords, are doing a few things such as:

1...Developing a huge demand for rentals, that is not being filled. It is getting harder every day to find a rental.

2...Landlords, are going to be even more choosy as to who they rent to.

3...States that are the most renter friendly, are going to cost more for renters up front.

OR

4...Make it much more difficult for a renter to qualify for rentals. A lot of people will find it impossible to find a rental. Young people just starting out especially young singles without a good rental history, employment less than a year or two, and a few other factors, are going to find it almost impossible to find a rental. Anyone which has been problems to a landlord so they cannot get a good reference, is going to find it impossible to find a rental.

5...Developers are not going to build rentals in those areas, as it is a guaranteed way to drive developers to other markets where they can make money on rentals.

6...Landlords are going to invest in more friendly to landlord areas of the country. Working people have to live in the vicinity of their jobs. On the other rental owners can invest where it is the best climate for them to invest.

I know this as a fact, as I spent from 1972 till I retired as an investment real estate broker. I had investors I bought, sold, and exchanged income property for which I managed, who lived as far away as Libya North Africa, and Malaysia the other side of the world. Investment money knows no geographical boundaries.

Most people do not realize it yet, but the rental housing shortage we have today, is going to get worse and worse for the next few years. If you think things are rough today to find a rental, just wait a year or two and it will get a lot worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or