U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,771 posts, read 54,408,375 times

Advertisements

If you can get an apartment for $750, even with the extreme up-front costs, you have a real deal. Here, for example, with the rent averaging $2,100 just the first and last month alone would be $4,200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM

5,769 posts, read 4,827,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you can get an apartment for $750, even with the extreme up-front costs, you have a real deal. Here, for example, with the rent averaging $2,100 just the first and last month alone would be $4,200.
But as the OP stated, they aren't going to be able to get it, because mgmt won't accept their very valid proof of income from SS or tax returns. I think this is a form of discrimination. A year's worth of paystubs means nothing about your income NEXT MONTH when the renter could be fired or laid off. SS extends for life, with no danger of being cut off, so in reality, should be a preferred form of income, and proof is easy to obtain.

As a LL, I would prefer a senior to a young adult, or even a young couple with kids. Seniors are stable, not likely to move precipitously, have stable income, and are frequently at home day and night to provide a modicum of "security" just by their ability to notice something amiss and call authorities.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:47 AM

23,571 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
If there is a significant demand for local apartments, then landlords can get far more selective on virtually everything. They could raise the rent. They could demand more deposit. They could make the tenant pay the broker. Kingsport has had

I think discriminating against SS is borderline elderly discrimination.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:05 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
They had a 2 pet limit (typical) and wanted $250 non-refundable deposit per pet, plus $30 per pet per month.
That seems quite reasonable. I'm surprised they allow more than 1. Pets have the capability to do lots of damage.

Quote:
They wanted 3 times the monthly rent up front plus a $600 security deposit!
That also is reasonable. It used to be first & last month's rent plus another month for a security deposit, but that does not provide the landlord with enough protection. I've had tenants who just skip out and then demand the security deposit back. First, last, plus one more, plus a security deposit plus a cleaning deposit provides sufficient protection in most cases.

Quote:
They wanted a year's worth of pay stubs. They would not take a Social Security statement, bank statements, or tax returns as income proof. Plus credit checks, of course.
Anyone with a scanner & printer can forge SS statements and bank statements. With Turbotax, you can print out a fake IRS 1040. I wouldn't ask for a year's worth of pay stubs, but I would absolutely do deep background checks.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:08 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
That also discriminates against young people just starting out or against anyone who has been out of work for a while and may be relocating because they found work.
Remember, there is nothing either illegal or immoral about discriminating against young people just starting out, the unemployed, and those relocating. For young people just starting out, I've required the parents to financially guarantee the lease and any damage.

I had one tenant solve the problem by offering to pay me a full year's rent in advance.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,258,991 times
My worst tenants were single and in their 30's. One, a male, ran an unauthorized martial arts studio out of the house. The damage that the students did to walls, and floor was a nightmare. The second was a female who against the lease sneaked in tenants and each unauthorized tenant sneaked in pets, which was also against the lease. Then she was surprised when I refused to renew the lease. I had to go through legal means to evict the squatters and the damage they all left behind was costly.

I understand why landlords are asking for large deposits and have gotten strict, since over the years I have found that tenants have gotten to be more troublesome.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Generally for me it has been first, last and security deposit. Been that way across half a dozen states over 25 years.

But sometimes, like in MA, these things are capped under the law.

Of course, sometimes there is a broker fee too, so four months upfront.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,771 posts, read 54,408,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If there is a significant demand for local apartments, then landlords can get far more selective on virtually everything. They could raise the rent. They could demand more deposit. They could make the tenant pay the broker. Kingsport has had

I think discriminating against SS is borderline elderly discrimination.
Here in our state (WA) there is a new law passed just a little over a month ago that applies to this situation:

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/re...urce-of-income

Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 783,587 times
Quote:
I have done nothing but rent either a house or an apartment all my life. I am currently on my 7th lease where I am presently and really like where I am, but was curious about another complex for next year. I had always liked their setting and location so decided to stop by their office to learn more about price, etc.

What I learned was very different than what I expected. Maybe even subtle discrimination against retirees.

The rent for a one bedroom was the same as where I am but the deposits and application process were unreasonable, in my opinion.

They had a 2 pet limit (typical) and wanted $250 non-refundable deposit per pet, plus $30 per pet per month.

They wanted 3 times the monthly rent up front plus a $600 security deposit! They wanted a year's worth of pay stubs. They would not take a Social Security statement, bank statements, or tax returns as income proof. Plus credit checks, of course.

I am on SS plus self employed with a regular monthly income but their rules left me out in the cold plus the security and pet deposits being what they were.

It would cost almost $3800 in deposits just to get in a $750 a month apartment. That is insane plus the subtle implication the SS wasn't "real" income.

I am not unfamiliar with some of the stringent demands on renting now, but this was ridiculous. Thinkiing of moving? Get all your info first. It is not as easy as it was 10 years ago.

Guess I will stay where I am at for a very long time.
What state are you in? You might talk with whatever government agency is in charge of rental laws to see if it is legal of them not to accept social security as proof of ability to pay. As far as pet deposits, that isn't discrimination. At least they allow pets as you will find many rental units don't allow any pets.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM

35,450 posts, read 10,488,468 times
Quote:
Here in our state (WA) there is a new law passed just a little over a month ago that applies to this situation:

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/re...urce-of-income

We've have such a law in NY, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or