Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:46 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Gotta ask OP, why not just buy a home of your own?
I am considering that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I could easily afford the subsidized rent but I make about $500 too much than the income guidelines. But cannot afford market rate apartment.

My beef is that I would prefer to sell my home and live with people my own age in a senior apartment building. I will be alone in a 1900 sq ft house. Sad, really.

I could sell the house and use that money to pad my living expenses in a market rate senior housing set-up, but that money wouldn't last very long.

Catch 22 for sure.
How about some roommates along the lines of "The Golden Girls"?

Old 11-17-2018, 01:15 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
Things landlords have to consider.

1. Can a tenant afford the rent. It is a fact any experienced landlord or lender will know,often from experience: If the rent or loan payment exceeds one third income, the odds are, you will have periods where the tenant or buyer will be unable to pay that months rent or payment.

2: The cash flow return on rental property is low. You cannot afford to have a property vacant for any period of time, or having to excessive repair after a bad tenant, and small investors may have to take food of their own table to cover lost rent.

3: Pets can be a serious problem, so a majority of landlords do not allow pets.

4. People with bad credit, are the most apt. not to pay rent on time, or not pay it all.

These are all facts, and the reason for income requirements, credit and previous landlord checks,.

And the reason landlords are so picky on who they rent to, is tenants in the past have made them this way.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:25 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's not just about trashing an apartment. It's about going after someone for past due rent when they don't pay for 2-3 months and just leave.
Or an elderly senior dies inthe unit rented!

Then theres no more rent, cleaning fee, family to remove the junk or get it taken out, etc.

SS automatically means "old", sorry. And i collect SSDI.

Id be happy to rent to seniors if they would not sue because they fell down in the living room tripping over their little chihuahua!!!!

LL ing is a fickle business. Ask any LL. One lady in our duplex took EVERY SINGLE THING she could. Sold the washer and dryer, fridge and stove, took the fixed lights and electric plate covers and even the blasted toilet and vanity!!! She even took, omf all things, the closet doors.

THAT cost a small fortune to remedy.

Sye told the management agency " by the time you get around to court, ill be long gone and you wont know where i am"!!!

In another instance the tenant took a sledge hammer to the toilet, among other damage.

Both those tenants left of their own accord, NOT EVICTED. imagine if they had been evicted!!

Its not all "rake in the dollars " for landlording. Trust me!!

People dont realize that.

And hoarders are the worst.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:38 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Or an elderly senior dies inthe unit rented!

Then theres no more rent, cleaning fee, family to remove the junk or get it taken out, etc.

SS automatically means "old", sorry. And i collect SSDI.

Id be happy to rent to seniors if they would not sue because they fell down in the living room tripping over their little chihuahua!!!!

LL ing is a fickle business. Ask any LL. One lady in our duplex took EVERY SINGLE THING she could. Sold the washer and dryer, fridge and stove, took the fixed lights and electric plate covers and even the blasted toilet and vanity!!! She even took, omf all things, the closet doors.

THAT cost a small fortune to remedy.

Sye told the management agency " by the time you get around to court, ill be long gone and you wont know where i am"!!!

In another instance the tenant took a sledge hammer to the toilet, among other damage.

Both those tenants left of their own accord, NOT EVICTED. imagine if they had been evicted!!

Its not all "rake in the dollars " for landlording. Trust me!!

People dont realize that.

And hoarders are the worst.

Yeah, I've heard horror stories as well from friends who are landlords about renting to seniors. Seniors pose a different set of problems like the probability of dying in the apartment and not being found for several days if they live alone. No one likes to talk about it but it happens probably more often than most people realize. I would hate to have to deal with that.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:48 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
The fact is that one could create so many contingencies across each age group that they are too scared to rent to anyone.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:55 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,643,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
How about some roommates along the lines of "The Golden Girls"?
Never - I like my own space. And you get some renter in your home and they rob you, trash your house, or just don't pay ret and you can't get rid of them.

Hey, I watch Judge Judy I know (j/k)....

Old 11-17-2018, 12:33 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Things landlords have to consider.

3: Pets can be a serious problem, so a majority of landlords do not allow pets.

Kids can be a serious problem too, but unfortunately the only thing you can do (at least in my state) is limit the number of legal bedrooms (2 people per bedroom are allowed by law).

Old 11-17-2018, 12:45 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Kids can be a serious problem too, but unfortunately the only thing you can do (at least in my state) is limit the number of legal bedrooms (2 people per bedroom are allowed by law).
I’d rather have seniors or cats in the apartment than kids or dogs!

Old 11-17-2018, 01:06 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I could easily afford the subsidized rent but I make about $500 too much than the income guidelines. But cannot afford market rate apartment.

My beef is that I would prefer to sell my home and live with people my own age in a senior apartment building. I will be alone in a 1900 sq ft house. Sad, really.

I could sell the house and use that money to pad my living expenses in a market rate senior housing set-up, but that money wouldn't last very long.

Catch 22 for sure.
My MIL was in a similar catch 22. Between her little pension and her survivor SS, she made about $25k/year. The max for the subsidized IL places was $23k/year and the market rate places were higher than her entire income! She had a bit of money saved, so she paid the difference for a year or two, and then we moved her in with us before her savings ran out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement