Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
According to the BLS's inflation calculator, $500 in 1970 is equivalent to $3,345 today, so there isn't as much difference as you think between what you had to come up with back then to move into an apartment and what young people have to come up with now.

Oh, and that $175/month rent would now be equivalent to $1,171.
Thanks for the research -- interesting! -- but the OP said that (quote), "It would cost almost $3800 in deposits just to get in a $750 a month apartment.", which meant that the deposit for her (or him) is about five times the amount of monthly rent, versus slightly less than three times the monthly rent it cost me in the 70's. I still think that is crazy.

Btw, just to clarify, the first apartment I got on my own was in late 1975 or early 1976, and $175 back then is equivalent to about $795 today, using January 1976 as the date for the BLS calculator; and A $500 deposit back then would be equivalent to about $2,275 today. Here is the link if anyone is curious.

https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:12 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
How many people old enough to collect SS will "trash" an apartment? Likely a bit past wild parties. . . .
Our seventy-ish tenants trashed an entire house and destroyed the back and side yards. We were lucky we didn’t have to take the house down to the studs. Filthy, disgusting pigs.

We were “nice” instead of prudent — we only collected a $1000 deposit.

From what I’ve seen, seniors are more likely to be hoarders than the rest of the population.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I checked into two "senior" apartment communities recently. The highest income one person could have was 31k. I exceed that just with my income. The market rate adult senior apartments in my area are about 4k a month, too much for me.

I would also NOT qualify for a typical new market rate apartment in an all-ages community. Most are $1800 a month for a one bedroom and three times the rent is the norm.

If I outlive my husband I guess I'll just stay in my house, with the $800 mortgage payment. I can buy lots of "services" such as yard care and cleaning with what I have left.

Typical middle income retiree that falls through the cracks of society.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
My husband received a call yesterday from his friend who is renting out his home in the country. The friend said his new tenant has a mastiff living in the house. Now the tenant wants to also bring in 2 yorkies, chickens, and a horse. His friend said "OK". We are thinking there is going to be a lesson learned here eventually.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Gotta ask OP, why not just buy a home of your own?

Old 11-16-2018, 11:23 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
The friend said his new tenant has a mastiff living in the house. Now the tenant wants to also bring in 2 yorkies, chickens, and a horse. His friend said "OK".

I'm reasonably certain that's not what a spare bedroom is intended for.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I checked into two "senior" apartment communities recently. The highest income one person could have was 31k. I exceed that just with my income. The market rate adult senior apartments in my area are about 4k a month, too much for me.

I would also NOT qualify for a typical new market rate apartment in an all-ages community. Most are $1800 a month for a one bedroom and three times the rent is the norm.

If I outlive my husband I guess I'll just stay in my house, with the $800 mortgage payment. I can buy lots of "services" such as yard care and cleaning with what I have left.

Typical middle income retiree that falls through the cracks of society.
And many times, income restricted housing rents will be pushing the boundary of what is a "safe" rent for that income level.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,048,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
My husband received a call yesterday from his friend who is renting out his home in the country. The friend said his new tenant has a mastiff living in the house. Now the tenant wants to also bring in 2 yorkies, chickens, and a horse. His friend said "OK". We are thinking there is going to be a lesson learned here eventually.

One assumes the horse won't be living inside the house but then again, the mastiff is kind of halfway there already, LOL

I think your husband's friend will be lucky if he doesn't have to gut the house down to the studs and floorboards after he eventually gets rid of that tenant. It will be an expensive lesson.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,686,218 times
I don't believe the house is zoned for either horses or chickens.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
How many people old enough to collect SS will "trash" an apartment? Likely a bit past wild parties. . . .
Many. I live in a senior residence building. You wouldn’t believe the repair work the maintenance men have to do to get some of the apartments livable again for new tenants after the former tenants have moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement