U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:10 PM

5,209 posts, read 671,612 times

Advertisements

I retired in July. I've lived in the Northeast all of my life--I grew up in WNY and then eventually landed in NE.

Plan A was to try out FL for a few years. I just got here so I'm not quite settled yet (but what a long strange trip it's been so far!)

Plan B was to retire to my hometown. It became "Plan B" because I instinctively knew if I came back "home" I would probably never leave--I would get TOO settled and I'm not ready for that yet.

If my current situation ever gets resolved (long story) I plan on giving FL 2 years.

And then I'll see what's next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:22 PM

489 posts, read 326,000 times
I moved 2200 miles away from my hometown (from Boston to Salt Lake City) when I was 19 and never looked back. I spent 9 years in Salt Lake and have lived in Denver since 1983, except for 2 years spent in the DC area when I was married. Next move will be to Arizona next year for retirement. I always knew I wanted to live out west.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 PM

18,574 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Grew up in New Orleans area, went to Texas after graduating university and then to the PNW where I've been for almost 30 years although much of that time it's been my home base but I've actually lived and worked abroad (currently in Azerbaijan). I plan to retire in the next couple of months.

Initially, we plan to retire, sell our PNW properties, and move to Arizona. From Phoenix, I can travel to all my family with 1 plane ride. I also inherited some land where I grew up so I might build a house on the property to have a place there when I visit family or if my kids want to use it when they visit. We might also buy a house in the PNW to live through the Phoenix summer and to be closer to kids and grandkids.

Because I've lived all over the world and feel comfortable living abroad, we might live periodically abroad if the right situation arose (I would like to live in a Spanish speaking country to improve my Spanish skills).

Old 11-15-2018, 06:35 PM

14,412 posts, read 7,932,198 times
I lived in California for almost two years in my 20's and came back to Illinois when I was getting a divorce. I own my childhood home and it should close at the end of the month. I'll be happy to see it go. I always hated the house and the town. I do still have friends there so I will visit from time to time. I won't miss the house, but I miss the tenants, and I hate giving up money. I live about 45 minutes from where I grew up now. We have another rental that may go on the market next year. We have thought about moving, but I can't find a house that I like better than ours, and we have a great life here. Moving is still an option if the right house in the right place comes up.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 PM

2,216 posts, read 935,111 times
I now live 1200 miles from where I spent the first 60 years of my life. Canít imagine what if anything would lead me back. Not saying I donít miss certain things about my home town, but for a lot of reasons I had to move on. And I did.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,473,076 times
Very sad to report that I spent the first 66 years of my life living withing 150 of where I was born, (and where my dad was born). Traveled the world and the western states extensively. Two Navy deployments. International and domestic short-term work assignments. But home has always been Southern California.

Now, upon retirement, I moved about 1,250 miles distant. From a land of two seasons, (i.e., a warm/hot, dry summer and a not-so-warm/hot, sometimes wet summer), to a land with four true seasons . . . and snow! What a switch, and I love it!

There is no going back. Primarily due to the cost-of-living, and the cost to get re-established.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 PM

769 posts, read 1,847,979 times
I was born and reared in Central Kentucky for 11 years. I have since lived all but two years (military service) in Alabama. I have five or six really good, close friends here in Alabama, but I still love and miss all the many Kentucky cousins that I grew up with (and still see on a fairly regular basis). I know that someday I will return there, if only perhaps to be buried there.

Indeed, home is where the heart is. Even after 58 years.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:54 PM

3,418 posts, read 3,972,097 times
Tried returning in 2012. I quickly learned due to changes in not only everything, ie neighborhood(s), fancy suburb that was now older, dirty and shabby, businesses long gone, streets looking like a war zone, and just my overall feeling from bad memories, that, in my case anyway, the old adage "you can't go home again" applied to me. I returned to my preferred new home state within 5 months of leaving it. I am now "home" and will live here the rest of my life.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
I was born in the deep south and lived and/or worked in a variety of locations throughout the US. Occasionally, I was able to travel to different parts of the world.

The greatest distance from where I grew up to where I lived is just over 4,500 miles from central AL to just outside of Amsterdam where I lived and worked for six months in the late 80's. Loved it there - a great adventure but, I wish I had taken more advantage of the location to travel more in the region. We'll correct that with an upcoming vacation.

Once we retire, the distance from where I grew up is only about 120 miles meaning I left home, had a pretty good career and am effectively moving back at least close to my hometown. That makes me a boomerang I suppose. There's a variety of reasons for this but it's mostly to be closer to lifelong friends and family . Like Dorothy said, "there's no place like home".

How about you? I know some of you guys lived much, much further away from your hometown than me. How does that compare to where you retired or perhaps where you plan to retire?

I guess I'm a "boomerang" too! I have been back in my hometown (this time) 13 years and not leaving again. My growing up years involved grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and half the town...small town. Now most of those people are gone but I still have siblings, nieces, nephews, kids, grandkids, great grandkids, cousins and all of their kids here. No matter where I've lived, or for how long, I have always ended up back here. I was born 100 miles from here and have a huge family of cousins there too but don't want to live there. Family is a big deal to me and probably the biggest draw for me to live here. Also I have lived all over the country and this area always comes up 'close to perfect' for me in all ways.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 2,836,728 times
Not me.

I left the region I was born in and never wanted to move back. That was my parents’ choice of homebase, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement