U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 PM

13,655 posts, read 8,573,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess I'm a boomerang. And you?
I'm a Tumbleweed.
Born in Boston in 1945, raised in Alabama.
Lived in Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta, Huntsviile, Ft Worth, and damned if the wind didn't blow me right back to Mississippi. We just stayed here and retired in 2010.
Been to 49 states and 20 foreign countries. Being willing to travel and not having a family home did wonders for my career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 09:42 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,949,076 times
Everybody from the NY tri-state area, please accept my apologies in advance. I mean no disrespect. It takes all kinds to make a world, and I'm not a tri-state type.

I grew up in NYC and prayed that I would get a ride to a small-town college. Heaved a sigh of relief when I moved into the dorm and saw an expanse of woods and trails outside my window. I swore that I would never, EVER go back. We plan, God laughs. My last job before I got out of the Northeast was at the far end of the commuting radius from CT.

I endured the Bermuda Triangle* of taxes, awful waste of life commuting, and bone-deep nasty colleagues until the smell of rot permeated the area during the 2000 recession. CT had never emerged from the early 90s recession. Heck, it had never emerged from the 1982 recession. I escaped with my skin intact and moved to Virginia - although it took me years to get it all set up. Researching where to go and what to do, developing the credentials. Once I saw a former director stocking shelves at Home Depot some time before the Great Recession, it was time to pull the trigger in a hurry. I was able to GTFO within four months, door to door, Thank Heavens! - because I had researched where to go.

I have such good feelings about the economic vitality of this state, and am so appreciative of the safety, and the economic and regulatory freedom, that I will never, ever leave. Virtually everyplace I go has a halo to me, attributable to economic security. On the rare occasion that I am wrested from here and compelled to go northward, I begin stress hyperventilation en route to the airport. Not because I have a fear of flying.

Two of my kids are here. Because of my location in this center of economic vitality, which has a persistent demand for no-BS analytical work, I was able to fund tuitions. I have fond hopes that the other one (currently in the Land of Fruits and Nuts) will wind up here as well. Knock on wood.

In sum, you'd have to take a horsewhip to me while tying me to a flatbed truck to remove me from Virginia, lol!

*Tri-State area Bermuda Triangle: where your life disappears in taxes owed, wasted time, and forced observation of nanny-state mores

Old 11-17-2018, 12:44 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
I was born about 20 miles from the Ohio River and I currently live about 20 miles from the Ohio River, only now about 100 miles upstream. It"s "always on my mind".

I was an Army brat, Navy vet. Grew up mostly in central Kentucky. Lived in Kentucky, Virginia, Rhode Island. Germany, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio.

I have lived where I am now for 28 years in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. I had a good career here and a great life with my SO, who is now passed. No children, parents and all aunts and uncles, grandparents long gone. Have 5 cousins I keep up with in Ohio, Alaska, South Carolina, Nevada, and Virginia. Whereabouts of rest unknown.

I love where I live with its 4 seasons. I am a country girl living on the edge of the burbs. I dream of a little house further out in the countryside in the woods down some dirt road. But I am what you call " poor in the purse, rich in the heart and mind", so I stay put for now. I live a quiet life with a few good friends and I have "never met a stranger" so I rarely feel isolated.

I plan to stay here till my time is up and have my ashes scattered somewhere pretty and peaceful along with my SO and our dog children. Somewhere down near the Ohio River, probably.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times
Sometimes, as much as 3 or 4 times a week, I go right by the hospital where I was born. When I was 29, I spent two weeks scouting-out So. California for job prospects. There were literally thousands of job offerings that I might have filled, in the cities there. They paid well and had good benefits. But the air pollution, high living costs, long commuting distances and the lack of any sense of community, were not things I wanted to endure. So I headed home and realized there was no better place for me. But I'm glad I got it out of my system and found that most of the great things you hear about California living, were largely mythical.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:44 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,760,423 times
No, I am not a boomeranger.

I was born in MA, worked all over the US until I was in my mid-50s and moved to Denmark in 1996, where I am now retired. It's only about 8 hours to the East Coast by air, but I spent much of my life on the West Coast and in the Rocky Mt. regions. These trips are longer in both flying time and time zones changes and are beginning to take a toll.

I do have a small summer house on small lake very near my primary residence, thank God.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:52 AM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times
We are boomerangs too.

We now STAY here where we grew up due to elderly remaining fathers ( 84 &90). FIL 90, is becoming quite the pain, and my 84 yo father is in declining health. Hes going to have cataract surgery so i will have to drive him fir about a month. My father is not the pain my FIL is.

This area is low economy, minimum wage based and in ok but sad shape. It never recovered after major manufacturing left and the recession of early 80s hit. Seriously.
Only higher paying jobs are at the hospital as a nurse of some kind. Literally. And my OH isnt cut out for that and inm disabled. Unkess you are dr or attorney that is.

Wed like to move to warmer climate lower cost area, but at least my OH will need to work and that may mean lower wages there too.

But both of us moved away and moved back, when the whole economy collapsed. Now we feel kind of stuck. I moved from NY to Massachusetts to Florida and back, my OH moved to California and back.

Not fun, but we now figure its our duty to try and look after fathers.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:01 AM

3,689 posts, read 1,868,735 times
I spent 12 years away from Texas and that was 12 years too long.

We've kicked around the idea of moving to Montana, Santa Fe, etc. With interest rates going up, and our mortgage $800, it would be a financial risk to move. Staying put here.

We don't pay property tax on our house (husband is disabled vet) which transfers to me if he dies, house is fully renovated with stuff we wanted...neighborhood is fairly quiet and very diverse. Husband is a Clint Eastwood get off my lawn kinda guy so he has his own demons to deal with. I don't mind diversity. Living in lilly white WA state for 12 years I was eager to have that diversity and culture.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 AM

20 posts, read 9,522 times
I boomeranged early-- born in Portland OR, moved a lot in early childhood due to my dad's job transfers (Michigan, South Carolina, St. Louis area) but always Portland in between. Have lived here since I was 11 except for a 3 year stint for law school in Seattle followed by 5 years in SoCal for my first law job at a major law firm. Moved back 'home' in 1990 and been here ever since, raised kids here, all within 1.5 hours of Portland, will stay put but will travel extensively in retirement. Love the area, extremely beautiful, family and old friends are here, liberal politics fit my own world view (hubs not so much tho). May snow bird eventually (Tucson?) but will never move away. Will continue to regularly spend time at Oregon Coast and Central Oregon High Dessert too (family vacation homes in each spot which we will eventually inherit with our siblings).

Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post

How about you? I know some of you guys lived much, much further away from your hometown than me. How does that compare to where you retired or perhaps where you plan to retire?
I was born and spent the first 22 years of my life in Madison, Wisconsin. I then moved to California.

My spouse was born in and around the San Fernando Valley in Southern California.

28 years ago we moved to Utah - to afford a house, to live closer to the outdoors, to find jobs, etc.

Fast forward and you could call it a "boomerang".... we are moving back to California in the next month - specifically- to the Central Coast/Valley - close to where I have family - and within driving distance of his family and many, many friends we still cultivate from when we lived there.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 AM
mlb

3,179 posts, read 2,855,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Sometimes, as much as 3 or 4 times a week, I go right by the hospital where I was born. When I was 29, I spent two weeks scouting-out So. California for job prospects. There were literally thousands of job offerings that I might have filled, in the cities there. They paid well and had good benefits. But the air pollution, high living costs, long commuting distances and the lack of any sense of community, were not things I wanted to endure. So I headed home and realized there was no better place for me. But I'm glad I got it out of my system and found that most of the great things you hear about California living, were largely mythical.
Ah... you've never lived in the better part of California. No myths necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement