U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM

992 posts, read 378,533 times

Advertisements

I was born in the deep south and lived and/or worked in a variety of locations throughout the US. Occasionally, I was able to travel to different parts of the world.

The greatest distance from where I grew up to where I lived is just over 4,500 miles from central AL to just outside of Amsterdam where I lived and worked for six months in the late 80's. Loved it there - a great adventure but, I wish I had taken more advantage of the location to travel more in the region. We'll correct that with an upcoming vacation.

Once we retire, the distance from where I grew up is only about 120 miles meaning I left home, had a pretty good career and am effectively moving back at least close to my hometown. That makes me a boomerang I suppose. There's a variety of reasons for this but it's mostly to be closer to lifelong friends and family . Like Dorothy said, "there's no place like home".

How about you? I know some of you guys lived much, much further away from your hometown than me. How does that compare to where you retired or perhaps where you plan to retire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:00 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
How about you? I know some of you guys lived much, much further away from your hometown than me. How does that compare to where you retired or perhaps where you plan to retire?
I spent most of my working career in Bethesda/Chevy Chase, MD, about 1,100 miles from where I grew up in Miami, FL, but the farthest away I lived was 2,649 miles when we initially retired to Las Vegas in 2010. I moved back to Miami in 2013 to help care for my elderly (now 91 & 86) parents. I currently live exactly 5.3 miles from the house in which I grew up and in which my parents still live.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:08 AM

3,604 posts, read 1,639,332 times
I am about 5,000 miles for my hometown and there isn't a chance I will live there again. So my home is where my heart is

Old 11-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,749 posts, read 54,373,866 times
I spent my first 41 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, the next 26 here in the Seattle area, about 850 miles away. Since coming here more family has moved up here over the years, the most recent just last summer, and another on the way next spring. Already we have more family here than there. When we retire in 3-4 years we plan to stay here, just downsize and maybe go an hour or so outside of the Seattle metro.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:34 AM

13,188 posts, read 6,301,958 times
We are boomerang as well. I’m back about less than 30 miles from my original home, where I grew up.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 AM

16,334 posts, read 10,324,206 times
nope. can't go home again. parents are gone. house I grew up in (built by parents) was sold long ago.
I mean literally built by my parents. Payed to have the electricity put in. They did every thing else.

It's not home any more.

although, to be honest, since it's in NYS, wouldn't move back there any way.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,781,240 times
We're about to find this out! We bought a second home last March, in Florida, and will be heading to it at the end of the year for four months. We have JUST retired. In May we'll be back in Wisconsin to sell the house we built in 1991. Its just too big. We're unsure how we will feel about coming back. We'd LIKE to MAYBE buy a smaller house here and do the snowbird thing, but I am certain (now anyway!!) that we will never move back to Wisconsin permanently. I have a few cousins here, but never see them anyway, both parents are gone, sister is in California, daughter is in NYC. Hubby's siblings are here, but he's not really close to them. We will miss our friends more than his sibs! We'll see how we do, but after writing it all down here, I guess I'd have to say no! We won't be back here. Not permanently.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:46 AM

992 posts, read 378,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
nope. can't go home again. parents are gone. house I grew up in (built by parents) was sold long ago.
I mean literally built by my parents. Payed to have the electricity put in. They did every thing else.

It's not home any more.

although, to be honest, since it's in NYS, wouldn't move back there any way.

Yep - that's why I'm about 120 miles away. There's nothing for me at home. I have one relative left and she's in her 70's. There are a few others within 35 miles but I'd prefer to move to our planned location than live at home. The new location will have better services, more cultural opportunities due to the presence of a major university, etc.

The funny thing is that I've always been happy regardless of the location. It's my wife who insisted on living somewhat closer to family and in particular, to one set of my friends. I'm cool with that!

Old 11-15-2018, 10:49 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,311,930 times
I never had a hometown. I was a Marine Corps brat. We did however retire in the state of my birth, although not the town. I lived most of my fomulative years in and around the DC area (Springfield, Quantico, Georgetown, Falls Church.)

Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
My summer house where I intend to retire is about 200 yards from the old wood frame schoolhouse where I used to walk to first and second grade as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement