U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,241,496 times

Advertisements

Fun reading these!
I haven't been on here in, well, a long time...really long time!
Because life kinda got in the way.
Been reading over some of my past posts/threads.
Nice to see some are still on here from around the time I first posted.
Can't believe it's been that long ago?!
Where exactly does the time go???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM

1,189 posts, read 977,532 times
Grew up in central NY in the 1960's. We retired a few months ago and really, really like it! I was an RN, he was an engineer. We met in college. We have four kids, from their mid-thirties to age 20. One grandchild so far. Just celebrated 40th anniversary.

We have spent too much of the last couple of months having procedures done (me) for relatively minor cancer removal and testing, testing, testing. Seeing another Dr. on Monday. Please cross your fingers for me. I feel fine.

After we are done with that stuff, we want to volunteer, babysit, travel, do artwork and have FUN! Well, I do. I can talk him into these things and he enjoys some of them as well. We want to play more instruments and improve in the ones we already play. And we want to dance!

Husband loves his projects in the garage, and he's delighted that he can finally get to 'em. Fixed two tractors and a snowblower, now working on another old snowblower to sell. The garage is much cleaner.

Last edited by mgkeith; 11-17-2018 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM

688 posts, read 865,468 times
Grew up in Baltimore suburbs in the 1950s- the golden age of childhood, at least for much of white America. Parents were middleaged when I was born, and I lived with them and maternal aunts and uncles. Had a wonderful childhood, only child, primarily living in an adult world, which I loved. Really memorable 50s childhood, - outdoors, walking everywhere, much freedom, hide and seek, building forts ,exploring the woods that backed up to the neighborhood, long car rides on weekends, stopping for ice cream . Family was very involved in church, and I spent most Sundays , morning and evening there. Met my future husband there when I was nine.

Began piano when 7, and vocal training when 13. After graduating high school, attended Peabody Conservatory of music as a vocal major. A wonderful experience but ultimately decided that it was not the career path for me. Transferred to university, English and Sociology major, finished in three years. Taught school- not a great fit- for a year, married the childhood sweetheart. Began working at Social services for the state, went back to school. Husband graduated from college, began teaching, and we bought first home.

We were married 36 years- not long enough- never wanted children, and never regretted it. Bought and remodeled -husband had talent- several homes which we enjoyed the experience of living in and trying out new neighborhoods.

I retired a year after my husband's death, sixteen years ago, and have been in a relationship with significant other for 15 years. I have my house and he has his- close by- and this arrangement works for us most of the time. It is certainly not the retirement , "old age" I had wanted or thought I would have, but I'm a fortunate person in many ways, I know. I turned 75 this summer, and will probably stay where I am for as long as feasible- I'm a generally active person, but may consider a Continuing Care Retirement Community in the future. I'll stay in this general area- S.O., some friends, no family for many years, but it is familiar, weather not too bad, considering all the climate change some places experiencing, and it is convenient to metropolitan areas and very good medical care.

Catsy

Old 11-17-2018, 11:27 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,645,775 times
You all are so interesting!

Here's my story: I grew up in a small town in PA, and moved to FL in the early 70's because then-husband had always wanted to live in Miami. Had three kids, got divorced, married again to a transplanted New Yorker who loved living in FL, so even though I wanted to move back up north, that was not happening. Husband died four years ago, and at first I thought the way was clear for me to move back up north, but then my daughter, who lives a few blocks from me, announced she was pregnant. I never wanted to be a long-distance grandmother, so it looks like I'm a Floridian for life.

I taught English for 15 years, went to law school at age 43, practiced law for 10 years but didn't much like it (I'm not an adversarial person), so became a law professor until my retirement in 2009. Now I volunteer for the local Legal Aid organization, but not as a lawyer. It's a great volunteer gig for me: I get to help low-income people with their legal problems but I'm not their lawyer so I don't have to deal with opposing counsel!

I take care of my granddaughter (now age 4) two days a week, work at Legal Aid two days a week, and spend most of the rest of my time surfing the internet. I used to be a voracious reader, but now most of my reading is done on the computer. For a while I did some online dating, but after a short time I realized I really don't want to be in that kind of a relationship any more. I miss my husband (the good one, not the other one) but as a true introvert, I'm very happy living alone.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:39 AM

23,785 posts, read 8,308,152 times
Born in small PA town (at home) at end of Great Depression. So I'm 80.

Married once and that was in early 60's, and he took me to Calif with our daughter and the marriage ended in CA. Hard times back then but love CA and would never leave, my remains will go over Pacific. Never wanted to marry again and never did. Once was enough for me.

Worked 40 some yrs, supported myself and it's all worked out just fine. Ups and downs but MOSTLY ups for sure.

Love alternative/holestic healing and work to keep myself healthy with all I've been learning for at least the last 25+ yrs.

Realize that if I had not divorced most likely would not have experienced the life I have. Love my freedom to do as I please.

Know hard times and appreciate and am greatful for the good stuff.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-17-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 12:21 PM

4,743 posts, read 4,378,456 times
Hmmmm... I've enjoyed reading other people's replies, so here's mine.

I've pretty much told my story in various posts all over the CD forums, but to sum it all up:

Army brat, born in Kentucky and spent the first part of my childhood there. When I was 8 my parents moved to Colorado permanently because my Swiss mom was homesick for the mountains.

Two college degrees - undergrad in Climatology and Environmental Sciences and Masters in Library and Information Sciences. Loved my profession as a science librarian until a prolonged exposure to chronic carbon monoxide poisoning caused so much damage that I could no longer work and was forced to go on SSDI. Lost pretty much everything I had due to medical bills and stepped through the looking glass from a middle class life to one at close to poverty level. What a long strange trip it's been!

Now 67 and living on my social security check, but all in all I can't complain - although I do now and then.

I now live in a little house in the middle of the vast alfalfa farms south of Cortez, CO and north of Shiprock, NM. It's very beautiful out here and along the way I've acquired a roommate along with his Catahoula hound and feral rescue cat. I have two cats and a hound myself and my animals give me a great deal of pleasure except for all that fur!

I grow flowers and veggies during the summer, and I am a voracious reader all four seasons. I love the mountains and camping and hiking. Maybe someday I'll move back to Colorado Springs if the real estate market ever becomes reasonable again, but for now I'm just fine where I am.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 875,113 times
29, engineer for a large telecom company, think "Big Blue". Raleigh, NC. Wife, no kids. She works for her parents' company remotely and nannies during the week. Live far north inside the city limits just before Wake Forest. We're just enjoying life at the moment.

Enjoy this forum and seeing a reflection of values across the US, and I can see by state, too, if I want! Born and raised in the south by two Yankee transplants who met in NC. What a love story, right? A couple weekends a month we'll drive and visit either my family or wife's. (They've given up asking us about grand kids)

Love to travel around the US, been to the west coast (worked there for part of last year) and have driven I-40 from Raleigh to Barstow with my better half before heading north to the Bay Area. They say long car rides tell you whether you can stand to live with someone or not, and it was on the last day of that car ride that I broke down crying and decided she's the one and I refuse to live another day as just boyfriend and girlfriend. So we took care of that and couldn't be happier.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:45 PM

467 posts, read 428,407 times
More a lurker than a poster - attempting to pick up some knowledge and wisdom...

Late 50s - happily married to my wonderful wife for 26 years. Originally from India - came to the US for PhD at Penn. Taught in upstate NY for a few years - met my wife who was doing PhD there and been happily married for more than 25 years. Lived in various places - Philly, upstate NY, the Berkshires, Boston, Ohio and now in SLC. Been in various professions - professor, consulting roles, software product management, senior management roles and now have a active consulting practice. Health permitting - will work for several more years, but have been prudent to save up well for retirement already.

Like travel, reading, outdoors - hiking and biking, getting to know the world (been to about 20 countries), reading and sometimes responding on the boards such as this. Travel a great deal - heading to Everest base camp trek soon!

Still unclear about how / where we will retire. Love where we are and our condo - so could be here. Could be elsewhere on the West, or Europe (my wife is a dual citizen of Germany). But - for now, those decisions are still far away as both of us pursue our careers.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:22 PM

28,266 posts, read 39,934,162 times
We are both 70. Both grew up poor. We are both surprised that we ended so well off.

She worked for the Feds for 35 years in various positions. She ended up as a Techie managing Techies. I spent 22 years in a hell hole, but doing so allowed me to work with computers because no one but me knew anything about them when CAD CAM started moving to PC's. I ended up taking care of offices all over the world and setting up and maintaining their local network. Once I had enough experience from that and a couple of interim jobs I started my own one-man computer consulting firm, which I enjoyed immensely until health put a stop to it.

I used to be an avid gardener as evidenced by our previous back yard being surrounded on all sides by a 10-15 foot border of flowers, bushes, and plants of all types. I've always been a DIYer and removed all the grass from both sides of our house and replaced it with walking stones. Very low maintenance, which freed up time up for the constant "work" aka fun required for the rest of the yard. One side was solid for wheelbarrows, etc, and the other was stepping stones and gravel.

Now we're in Las Vegas. No gardening, but I make up for it by updating everything in the house.

We play Bridge, video games, and spend a lot of time with friends. We learned, and are addicted to, Rummikub. We are avid readers (Kindle now).

Since we didn't have time to travel much when we were younger are going to Europe every year until we can't (that will likely be me) then we are going to travel the U.S. until we can't. We are trying to decide on where to go next Spring since we didn't travel this year (death in the family). Next fall it's a Viking River cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow. Last year it was a Viking cruise from Amsterdam, around Belgium, and back to Amsterdam. We then flew to Dublin, drove for 17 days around the southern half of Ireland, flew back to Amsterdam for four days, and home. That was our first trip outside the US and we loved it! Came home exhausted but it was well worth it.

We live in an over 55 community and are in a club that contains sub-clubs so we go to a BYOB once a month, Ethnic Dining club once a month, Happy hour most months, lunches, and just try all the restaurants that are available in Las Vegas. We rarely go to the Strip, and while we used to vacation here every couple of years and gamble neither of us has done so after being here four years.

We've been married 46 years. Met at Halloween party where we talked for three hours (neither one of us can remember what we talked about.) I have to admit to derailing her plans to move to California where she had a job lined up.

We are head-over-heels in love, best friends, and laugh every day.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:30 PM
JRR

3,685 posts, read 2,231,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Grew up in central NY in the 1960's. We retired a few months ago and really, really like it! I was an RN, he was an engineer. We met in college. We have four kids, from their mid-thirties to age 20. One grandchild so far. Just celebrated 40th anniversary.

We have spent too much of the last couple of months having procedures done (me) for relatively minor cancer removal and testing, testing, testing. Seeing another Dr. on Monday. Please cross your fingers for me. I feel fine.

After we are done with that stuff, we want to volunteer, babysit, travel, do artwork and have FUN! Well, I do. I can talk him into these things and he enjoys some of them as well. We want to play more instruments and improve in the ones we already play. And we want to dance!

Husband loves his projects in the garage, and he's delighted that he can finally get to 'em. Fixed two tractors and a snowblower, now working on another old snowblower to sell. The garage is much cleaner.
Where were you in central NY? I was actually born near Utica but when I was 9 my father had enough of the winters there and moved us to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or