U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,148,021 times

Advertisements

Just curious in a friendly sort of way. Share what you want. Past life, where you live and how it is. Why did you pick your locale? Hobbies, interests, stuff you do, that sort of thing.

I guess I’ll start since, well, I started this thread.

Retired ( 2.5 years) Social Worker. Seen a lot of negative stuff. I know what dead people smell like, but what bothered me the most was the smell of cat pee and poop. It seems that having 12 cats (never dogs) is a requirement for mentally ill people. Give me skunk any day.

We live in an area popular with retirees-the mountains of eastern CA. We moved here 16 years ago planning to stay here after retirement. We love it here! Near a town of 5000 with friendly people and many events. Two excellent live theater venues and a National Forest a mile away. Mrs5150 is an attorney and is looking to retire next year. Two grown kids and two grandkids.

We both ski and hike. I bike and she reads. I volunteer 3 half days a week. We camp in our area in a money pit of a class B camper van. It’s in the shop as I type needing $1200 worth of front end work. I’m a musician -Sax, flute and Mandolin. I will be playing this Sunday at the Lutheran church we attend.

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-15-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 04:53 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,872,421 times
Retired 1 year. Federal employee 15 years with DOJ - lived through being at the epicenter of the Branch Dividian mess and the OKC bombing. 15 years with DOD with Corps of Engineers-total bore but it paid well and I have a great retirement and residual benefits.

Married to a 100%er disabled Vietnam vet with many issues and 2x cancer survivor - married 14 years this month. We are both fairly healthy, no meds, exercise regularly, eat low carb and are slender.

Mother to a 39 year old son, husband has four grown children. I don't feel like a stepmother and have never been in that role which is fine with me.

Moved to homeland of Texas to retire, paid for by DOD - worked for them 2.5 years to fulfill agreement based on paid PCS. Happiest day of my life was when I arrived after 12 years in exile in WA state, which I hated. Moral of that story: make a plan to escape and never give up. Lots of prayers made it happen.

Go to symphony, plays, Mavs and Rangers games, follow TCU football. Love riding the train to Dallas. Go to Santa Fe frequently for my fix of culture and food.

English/German/indigenous heritage. Choctaw, cousins are Muscogee Creek.

Things that make me happy: being at home, sleeping late, eating right, not cooking, harvesting pecans (my ancestral heritage-really connects me), taking care of husband, dealing with his OCD, PTSD, road trips, free stuff, jeans, sweaters, clogs, boots. And I love C-D and all the many personalities, both good and annoying and critical. Love it when someone researches my post history I get a real laugh out of that.

I guess that's it.

Last edited by mschrief; 11-15-2018 at 05:25 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 05:38 PM

31,684 posts, read 19,984,454 times
Retired almost 5 years. Background in the administrative side of environmental engineering, and a brief stint in government.

Avid photographer and editor, some video. The other members of my pack are two large dogs, and my retired husband, and my step kids.

We are on the younger side for retired folks, and very physical fitness oriented.

We plan to move from Hawaii to Carson Valley, and will probably spend the first year in a 5th wheel traveling.

Other hobbies include crocheting (lol. Developed that hobby when DH was injured and couch bound), and cooking. DH is in his first year of retirement and has become OCD on plant propagation and gardening.

Edit: I read a lot and listen to podcasts. I always want to be learning.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Last edited by Mikala43; 11-15-2018 at 06:18 PM..

Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 PM

4,453 posts, read 7,208,209 times
Retired for 9 years (feels wrong to call it that, I'm not even 50), background in IT and motorcycle mechanics. I only don't earn an income due to my wife's career as a pharmacist and our location in GA allowing for her to cover all our retirement, living expenses and travel on a 3-day a week job.

I do all of the cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping/errands, vehicle and home maintenance, etc...

I used to have a whole bunch of hobbies, but don't seem to have many right now. Started my first veg garden this year, I've remodeled 4 houses (and started on a 5th a few weeks back). Just back from a 6 week road-trip in our DIY camper-van. I occasionally dabble in sewing, stained glass, and photography. I used to be VERY into competitive shooting (as in, I tried out for both the Beijing and London Olympics, was ranked within the top 10 in the US for awhile), roadracing motorcycles, and golf. Thinking about picking up each of those again, but I've been thinking about them for years without doing anything.

As crass as this sounds, my life is on hold until my folks pass on (mid 70's, starting down that elderly surgery path, mom just had back surgery and dad is going to have both knees replaced in the spring). If their house survives, my wife will retire from Pharmacy and we will move to my folks house in Montana. Then it'll just be work to cover medical costs till we're old enough for the subsidized stuff.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:10 PM

1,937 posts, read 2,471,125 times
This is fun reading about y'all

Old 11-15-2018, 06:14 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,880,277 times
About to turn 60 next month, will retire at 65 unless something happens to force it sooner or make it unworkable until later.

I have been a software developer nearly 40 years and at my current company almost 25.

I like to get out on the water in paddle craft and I like to fish. Those are my primary hobbies.

We chose this location to raise a family. My wife and I want different retirement locales and will likely split; last kid is out of HS and we probably won't make it much longer. I will be headed toward someplace warm nearly all year.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:22 PM

7,676 posts, read 4,719,031 times
65, not about to retire, just closed escrow today on our new-to-us home in Scottsdale. Still keeping the California home for now.

Hobbies: Managing remodeling projects, reading, movies, researching and brainstorming new business ideas.

We chose Scottsdale because of the incredible variety of activities, laid-back luxury lifestyle and simpatico people.

We spent the day with the sellers of our new home and hit it off so well we're ready to adopt them into our family. I'm looking forward to seeing them again at Christmas. For their part, they're not retiring either. They want to work into their 80s.

It was a good day.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 PM

31,684 posts, read 19,984,454 times
I LOVED Scottsdale, it was on our short list for retirement locations. Only fell off because I can't take heat anymore.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM

16,420 posts, read 5,357,597 times
I live in San Francisco, turn 70 next month, and I've been retired for nearly 10 years from a technical job at a TV station. I was part of the studio crew, handling cameras, audio, video playback and graphics. I've been married for 32 years. My husband also worked there as a master control operator. He's 78 and has been retired for 13 years. (Yes, we met at work.) It is the second marriage for us both; no kids.

In my previous life, I grew up in the Santa Clara Valley. Then it was still known as the prune capital of the world and not Silicon Valley. I remember walking through orchards on my way to school. When I was 18 I met a boy at college who was from New York City, fell in love and moved to the East coast to be with him. That didn't work out, but my six years in NYC was a real adventure. I worked for a small film production company at one point, and Paul Simon had the office above ours. We could hear him play the piano sometimes. One of my bosses knew Joan Crawford, and that is how I came to speak to her on the phone once when she was trying to reach him. I remember what a lovely, well-modulated voice she had and how gracious she was to a mere secretary.

My life now is not nearly as exciting. After 30+ years of working nights and weekends at the TV station, I love being a homebody and don't go out that much. My husband has health problems and doesn't like to go out much, either. We're both rather introverted. For this reason we don't travel. Our big splurge is that we go out to dinner twice a week and breakfast once a week, always at the same places. We also read voraciously and spend a lot of money on books. I am an opera fan and also love classical, oldies, jazz and big band/swing from the 1940s.

Another legacy of working nights is that my husband and I are both confirmed night owls. We rarely get to sleep before 3am and usually get up between 11am and 12 noon. I assumed that after retirement we would go back to living on normal people's time, but it just never happened.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:04 PM

21,579 posts, read 14,370,483 times
Interesting stories, thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or