Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
I live near Philly. Today's predicted 'minimal' snow quickly turning to rain stayed snow longer than the weather people thought. 3-5 inches.. cars spun out everywhere, drivers stuck on interstates and other roads for hours... and I haven't left my house except to retrieve the newspaper before the snow started this morning. So glad not to have to drive the 45 mile round trip to work.. feel sorry for the poor people stuck in this mess.
omg just catching this thread. NBSeer- me too! I was always (and still am) the biggest chicken and baby regarding driving in the snow. My last job, was about 5 miles from home by back roads so not a bad commute at all.......but still, when it snowed, I would stress like I had to drive from one end of Alaska to another. So to speak.

This week, when they said it would snow, I sat in my sweat pants, reading and being cozy, watching for when the snow started to come. Then it got really heavy for an hour or two, (or maybe more)and I just marveled at how I did not have to go out. It was the best feeling ever. Honestly. The best part, was that the day before, we had done a really big shopping.
This was heavenly to me.
obviously there's a lot I like about being retired, but this was just so spot on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 05:29 AM

19,496 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
omg just catching this thread. NBSeer- me too! I was always (and still am) the biggest chicken and baby regarding driving in the snow. My last job, was about 5 miles from home by back roads so not a bad commute at all.......but still, when it snowed, I would stress like I had to drive from one end of Alaska to another. So to speak.

This week, when they said it would snow, I sat in my sweat pants, reading and being cozy, watching for when the snow started to come. Then it got really heavy for an hour or two, (or maybe more)and I just marveled at how I did not have to go out. It was the best feeling ever. Honestly. The best part, was that the day before, we had done a really big shopping.
This was heavenly to me.
obviously there's a lot I like about being retired, but this was just so spot on!

Same here. When I commuted, there were some tricky spots, particularly the bridge over 2 rivers.
Now, it’s nice to be home and I’m one less the driver on those roads during those times.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:47 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,002,922 times
#1 Reason I'm glad I'm retired:

I no longer have to take any $h!† from anyone anymore.

Don't have to worry that anything I say or do will get back to my employer!

Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 AM

245 posts, read 152,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
#1 Reason I'm glad I'm retired:

I no longer have to take any $h!† from anyone anymore.

Don't have to worry that anything I say or do will get back to my employer!
THIS X 1 MILLION!!!!!!!

You no longer have to make an effort to be friendly and wear a fake smile around difficult supervisors and coworkers who you detest. I don't miss that aspect of working one bit.

Then again, even though I tried, I guess I never was very good at it as I often got the "bad attitude" and "insubordinate" labels. What saved me was doing a superb job and working more efficiently than my coworkers who were too busy schmoozing and kissing up. Looking back, I really should have done my own thing. Working as an employee was a pretty miserable experience as I have a very independent personality and didn't confirm well to groupthink or the whims of mediocre managers. I had the work ethic and competence needed to get the job done but was almost always the least popular employee in the office. It was the "good worker, bad employee" thing.

Last edited by Blue Wave; 11-21-2018 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,518,860 times
Fortunately I have a great pension with medical benefits and don’t have to worry where my next buck is coming from.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:15 PM

515 posts, read 359,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave View Post
THIS X 1 MILLION!!!!!!!

You no longer have to make an effort to be friendly and wear a fake smile around difficult supervisors and coworkers who you detest. I don't miss that aspect of working one bit.

Then again, even though I tried, I guess I never was very good at it as I often got the "bad attitude" and "insubordinate" labels. What saved me was doing a superb job and working more efficiently than my coworkers who were too busy schmoozing and kissing up. Looking back, I really should have done my own thing. Working as an employee was a pretty miserable experience as I have a very independent personality and didn't confirm well to groupthink or the whims of mediocre managers. I had the work ethic and competence needed to get the job done but was almost always the least popular employee in the office. It was the "good worker, bad employee" thing.
So true. I had to learn to not trust any co workers. They will stab you in the back for anything. Also, I had to learn not to give a crap most of the time. When I was young I got into trouble expecting competent performance from co workers. Of course then I was the employee that could not get along. Kissing boss butt was never a good fit for me either. Working is so much more than doing a good job. They don't teach you that in college. Over time you get jaded with all the BS that comes with a job. I can't wait until I retire. Only a year or so to go.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:31 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Being able to move to Arizona and never again worrying about snow.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:37 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
No longer having to rush to the bank on my lunch break, to find most teller windows closed because it's their lunch break.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:41 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
Having sex with the wife in the middle of the morning during daylight hours followed by a nap and a leisurely lunch.
Now let's ask the wife how she's enjoying your retirement...

Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 AM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
not retired yet but I know the answer

Sleeping in

Second is to get away from my sociopathic boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement