U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 05:09 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
As said in another thread, I'll have a mini Thanksgiving here alone. I've had plenty of years with family and/or friends, this is just another way of being. As a loner, it's not unusual for me and I enjoy being alone.

I'll plan to have my grandmother's recipe of dressing, my favorite, some sweet potatoes, a green vegetable and maybe a turkey meatloaf, if I get around to it.

Will be a quiet day, music, cooking, reading, hanging with the 3 felines...

After my grandparents had died, and then when Mom and Dad weren't always up to the drive from Riverside to Los Angeles, we sort of lost contact with my Aunt and Uncle and family. Their kids were married for better or worse, so they weren't there. Dad got real tired and Mom didn't drive, at least not LONG trips.

The first few just us meals were sort of sad, but we'd go out for dinner, get dressed up and all. It was cool. I kind of understand now. Now I'm more likely to do another pizza than cook something. After Mom died on that night, Dad didn't really want to. She was his world and he never got better.

But I like remembering the days when my aunt and cousins and all and us all converged on Grandma's little house and it was like one of those traditional gatherings we are so much about. We rotated but she liked Thanksgiving. We traded Easter and Christmas. My current house is about the same size and not much younger. Its kind of like I found Grandma's house all over.

Sometimes I miss that closeness to someones family, and the ties that you cherish and all the memories from when you were a little kid, and wish that somehow it could come together with my son, but aside from being married and over burdened by work and church, I almost feel like that tie has been damaged and I really want some sembelence of it to exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 09:02 PM

5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Its my OH (Other Half, spouse) and my FIL who dont get along. Father and child.

Our two fathers never see each other.

See you STILL jump to conclusions.

Sheesh.

No comment was necessary to my original post anyway.

Some people cant help sticking in where it doesnt belong, i guess.

The point is the same regardless which relatives despise each other.

But since you are taking your hatred out on people who are trying to help, I am perfectly fine with letting you savor your misery.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:19 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,943,598 times
My daughter isn't speaking to me, so forget her.

But, I have made friends with some ESL students from my volunteering, and they are people who are in the US from other countries, whose families are far away.

So, I decided to ask a few of my students if they'd like to go out to eat with me and then go see a movie. They were actually really happy I'd invited them out, because they had no plans and nobody to spend the day with.

So, we're going to go out to eat to a cheap breakfast place that will also offer a Thanksgiving meal menu option, and then we're going to go see Creed II (the new Rocky sequel with Sylvester Stallone).

I just decided that instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'd reach out to see if anyone else would want to go out, etc. And, I'm really glad I did. I'll spend the day with Silicon Valley nerds from Russia and Brazil and their wonderful wives.

Yes, I wish my daughter was interested - but, honestly, even when she was talking to me, she could be a real party-pooper, to put it mildly. So, sure, I wish I had a perfect relationship with my daughter, but I don't. And honestly, I won't miss her critical attitude toward everything. I'll have a lovely day with interesting people who are fun to be around. My family never met that description LOL.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:25 PM
JRR

3,678 posts, read 2,224,896 times
I actually miss the family gatherings from years ago when we lived in Florida. My wife and me, my mother and an aunt, my sister and brother-in-law and four nieces and a nephew. All lived in the same town, so it was pretty easy. Everyone picked what food they wanted to bring and we ate on my mother's back porch if it was nice or at my sister's house next door if it wasn't. A lot of times after we ate and cleaned up, some of us would go to a movie for a bit. Never really had any problems;everyone seemed to enjoy it. Now my mother and brother-in-law have passed on and everyone else has scattered to Wisconsin, West Virginia, Pennsylvania and us to Tennessee.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:05 AM

7,798 posts, read 4,385,889 times
Those of you who are TRULY alone might want to contribute to my thread about being alone (in life) for the holidays, which I post annually. Last year it was here, but this year I went for "non-romantic relationships."

Last edited by otterhere; 11-20-2018 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-20-2018, 07:33 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
My husband and I have spent our last several Thanksgivings alone, just the two of us on the beach because this is exactly the way we want it.

We could care less about being with tons of people and overstuffing ourselves.
That sounds so wonderful.

I know a couple that does this every Thanksgiving. The husband kind of whines, but still goes.

It would be fabulous. Love the sound of the waves.

That will be one of my goals. Spend the holidays at the beach!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:12 AM

56,035 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That sounds so wonderful.

I know a couple that does this every Thanksgiving. The husband kind of whines, but still goes.

It would be fabulous. Love the sound of the waves.

That will be one of my goals. Spend the holidays at the beach!
It's not a bad thing. This was sunrise on New Year's Day, 2011, Long Branch, NJ:

Old 11-20-2018, 08:33 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My daughter isn't speaking to me, so forget her.

But, I have made friends with some ESL students from my volunteering, and they are people who are in the US from other countries, whose families are far away.

So, I decided to ask a few of my students if they'd like to go out to eat with me and then go see a movie. They were actually really happy I'd invited them out, because they had no plans and nobody to spend the day with.

So, we're going to go out to eat to a cheap breakfast place that will also offer a Thanksgiving meal menu option, and then we're going to go see Creed II (the new Rocky sequel with Sylvester Stallone).

I just decided that instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'd reach out to see if anyone else would want to go out, etc. And, I'm really glad I did. I'll spend the day with Silicon Valley nerds from Russia and Brazil and their wonderful wives.

Yes, I wish my daughter was interested - but, honestly, even when she was talking to me, she could be a real party-pooper, to put it mildly. So, sure, I wish I had a perfect relationship with my daughter, but I don't. And honestly, I won't miss her critical attitude toward everything. I'll have a lovely day with interesting people who are fun to be around. My family never met that description LOL.

Yes, have a great day...nice of you to invite students. You'll miss out on family strife!

Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 AM

563 posts, read 266,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's not a bad thing. This was sunrise on New Year's Day, 2011, Long Branch, NJ:
That is absolutely breathtaking.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 AM

7,798 posts, read 4,385,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You should ask a mod to delete all those posts that are unnecessary. That way this thread will have only what you want to see and be very short.
The question was pretty clear: will you be alone (meaning ALONE) or with only your spouse; IF SO (implied), will you (nonetheless) have a big, traditional meal?

Yet the majority of posters list all the people above and beyond self and/or spouse with whom they'll be sharing Thanksgiving. SMH

My best guesses are: a) the majority of people can't even conceive of such a thing, or b) they like to gloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or