U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 10:53 AM

21,222 posts, read 30,452,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Sounds much like my planned day. Glad you are treating yourself to a very nice meal. I'll see a bit of the parade, watch football and hang with my cats too.

Alone but not lonely, cats are great company. And you are right, the aroma of cooking is good for us.
Have a pleasant day!
Great minds think alike...have a pleasant day as well!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM

3,994 posts, read 2,052,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You people who say you are spending Thanksgiving with just pets - I have to say that pets are generally better company than most people.

Certainly, I am never alone with my cats - even if DW is sleeping like a log, one or another cat will come along and jump up on the bed.
Well, one good thing about spending Thanksgiving with just pets is that they never complain about the menu. Mine eat the same thing every day, Thanksgiving included, and are happy with it. Either that or they just put up with the food since they don't have opposable thumbs and can't open the cans themselves.

On an unrelated note from childhood Thanksgivings, which were always spent at my Aunt's home in New Jersey, I still have hilarious memories of her stuffing. It was legendary in our family, due to the fact that my Aunt did not know the meaning of "enough" when it came to adding sage to her stuffing. She also managed to get the consistency such that the stuffing emerged from the turkey's cavity as a dense, sage-soaked turkey-inside shaped inedible (to our taste buds) bomb. Her kids loved it though, so I guess it proves that you like what you grow up with or are accustomed to (or else their taste beds were numbed out).

Old 11-20-2018, 04:25 PM

255 posts, read 133,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I know, right? Didn't take long for people to start blathering about their kids, grandkids, blah blah blah, none of which had anything to do with the topic.

I like reading about what people are doing for Thanksgiving and don't understand what the problem is. It amuses me to read about families of 35 getting together for a big dinner. As for the "all-alone people", they don't sound too unhappy about it.

My sister was so freaked out about having to spend Christmas on her own that she booked a cruise. (We live far away and it's not easy for her to get here. Or maybe she just doesn't like us, ). I'd rather see her volunteer somewhere and donate the cruise money to a charity but to each his own.

Whatever you are doing this year, enjoy your day whether it's full of food, family and friends or peace, quiet and your pets.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:33 PM

2,012 posts, read 2,651,078 times
I'll be alone this year for Thanksgiving, probably for the first time in my life. My local daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are going out of town for the holiday. Not only do I not mind it, I'm actually looking forward to it.

I lived in Miami for 25 years and was always a fan of Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach. So this year since I'm on my own for Thanksgiving, I decided to have a stone crab fest a la Joe's. I went to my local seafood market and bought a pound of stone crabs. To go with it, I'm having all the side dishes that Joe's is famous for: mustard sauce to dip the crab meat in (I make my own), creamed spinach with garlic, hash brown potatoes, and a tiny little key lime pie for dessert. Today I went to Trader Joe's and bought a nice bottle of Three-Buck Chuck to accompany my meal. Heaven!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Old 11-20-2018, 05:05 PM

255 posts, read 133,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'll be alone this year for Thanksgiving, probably for the first time in my life. My local daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter are going out of town for the holiday. Not only do I not mind it, I'm actually looking forward to it.

I lived in Miami for 25 years and was always a fan of Joe's Stone Crab in Miami Beach. So this year since I'm on my own for Thanksgiving, I decided to have a stone crab fest a la Joe's. I went to my local seafood market and bought a pound of stone crabs. To go with it, I'm having all the side dishes that Joe's is famous for: mustard sauce to dip the crab meat in (I make my own), creamed spinach with garlic, hash brown potatoes, and a tiny little key lime pie for dessert. Today I went to Trader Joe's and bought a nice bottle of Three-Buck Chuck to accompany my meal. Heaven!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Have a wonderful day, sounds perfect.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:15 PM

2,564 posts, read 816,565 times
Iím going to a jazz club thatís serving an awesome thanksgiving feast along with some great jazz. I miss my son every day (he lives far away) and have spent thanksgiving alone for many years but we always talk at least once and he sends me pics of whatever heís cooked . Itís all good.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:40 AM

659 posts, read 326,318 times
I'm going on a 7 hour road trip with my son, daughter-in-law and 10 year old grandaughter. We are going to Charlotte, NC to my younger son's place. We will stay at an Embassy Suites Thursday and Friday nights. Looking forward to it although we are leaving at 3 AM to get through the I-95 south traffic in Northern VA near DC. I'm glad we are staying in a hotel. I have my own suite and I got another suite for my son and his fam (Christmas Present).

They don't want me to bring anything except a bottle of Jack Daniels and Captain Morgan Spiced Rum. They are planning this huge dinner and I offered to bring serving dishes, platters, a 3 element burner, etc--no they don't want it. There will be 6 other family there so we should have a good time.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:43 AM

7,823 posts, read 4,409,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
I like reading about what people are doing for Thanksgiving and don't understand what the problem is. It amuses me to read about families of 35 getting together for a big dinner.
Except that there are already plenty of what-are-your-Thanksgiving-plans threads up and running for those people; this thread was for people WITHOUT big families or a tribe of friends. What part of "alone" don't people on C-D understand? Sheesh!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 AM

6,347 posts, read 5,081,974 times
I'm surprised at how many people I know will be spending this holiday alone and they have kids!

I will be going to a sibling's house today - Wednesday. So tomorrow will probably just stay home, maybe make the turkey breast, and just read.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,549,238 times
If the OP of this thread has any problem with off-topic posts, the OP of this thread has the option to either object here and/or contact a moderator. Anyone else's post here about off-topic threads is (including this one) . . .

*gasp in horror* off-topic!!!

So please give the rest of us a break and knock it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or