U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 08:34 AM

1,289 posts, read 290,719 times

Advertisements

Alternative question: How many of you WISH you were having Thanksgiving with just yourself or with just your significant other? Families can be stressful sometimes. Life isn't the Hallmark channel.

I'm always one contentious holiday away from opting for the holiday Bahama cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 08:43 AM

11,999 posts, read 5,126,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Alternative question: How many of you WISH you were having Thanksgiving with just yourself or with just your significant other? Families can be stressful sometimes. Life isn't the Hallmark channel.

I'm always one contentious holiday away from opting for the holiday Bahama cruise.
I'm probably in that category. I know this sounds selfish but I hate the stressful 2 hours plus drive each way through So Cal freeways to get to my brothers house which is about 100 miles from where I live. They don't eat until evening hours and I have to be at work the next day.
My mother is 87 and so I never know which will be the last Thanksgiving or Christmas with her and my siblings all together so I make the best out of it, but I don't look forward to it.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:

I wouldn't say I want to have it alone, but I would like the extra day for traveling without the expectation of having to show up for a meal.

I see the people I'll be with tomorrow for Thanksgiving meals every week. Seeing them on a random Thursday is just not special.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:46 AM

3,696 posts, read 1,870,935 times
Quote:

I am VERY pleased not to be living near my husband Kennedy-esque size family and their family holidays. Gossip, fighting, greasy food, feeling left out.

Being here with my husband is fine with me. In the words of his eldest right before we married (saw her in the Costco parking lot) ......"he's YOUR problem now".

At the time, I had no idea what she was talking about. Better just him than that entire family!

Old 11-21-2018, 08:46 AM

1,289 posts, read 290,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm probably in that category. I know this sounds selfish but I hate the 2 hour drive through So Cal freeways to get to my brothers house which is about 100 miles from where I live. They don't eat until evening hours and I have to be at work the next day.
My mother is 87 and so I never know which will be the last Thanksgiving or Christmas with her and my siblings all together so I make the best out of it, but I don't look forward to it.
I hear ya. Given your situation I would likely do the same thing. No way to get Friday off? That would make the drive and the later hours easier to bear.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 AM

2,532 posts, read 803,938 times
Quote:

Even when I lived closer to my son, we both agreed that the stress involved with travel, cooking, etc etc etc, especially since he has to work the night before and the day after, just isn't worth it. When we get together we want to be able to relax and have fun, eat, play with the dog, hang out. The collective angst surrounding Thanksgiving just isn't conducive to that.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:11 AM

7,670 posts, read 4,712,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Being here with my husband is fine with me. In the words of his eldest right before we married (saw her in the Costco parking lot) ......"he's YOUR problem now".

At the time, I had no idea what she was talking about.

So he's always been a miserable grump.

I wonder how these guys manage to hold it together long enough to attract a female. Or in your husband's case, two.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 AM

6,317 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So he's always been a miserable grump.

I wonder how these guys manage to hold it together long enough to attract a female. Or in your husband's case, two.
That is why I said - that they will always find a way or someone.

My oldest brother is also a miserable grump - sickly Vietnam vet. PTSD etc - but still has to beat them off with a stick.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:23 AM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Just me and my cat. In past years I would make a Cornish game hen and some of the traditional sides but this year I think I will treat it as just another day. As much as I love living in Arizona, it still feels weird not having snow for the holidays.

Trust me, that is the only time I even think of the s word tho except to shiver when I hear from old friends or check Minnesota weather.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 AM

2,455 posts, read 1,066,757 times
Here in VT it feels weird having snow for Thanksgiving!! Still coming down, no signs of it melting or going away any time soon. It's like Christmas in November.Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or