U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,687,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm surprised at how many people I know will be spending this holiday alone and they have kids!

I will be going to a sibling's house today - Wednesday. So tomorrow will probably just stay home, maybe make the turkey breast, and just read.

I have three kids but will, basically, be 'alone'. I do have my renter living here...another story!...but not doing anything just because of that. Anyway, son lives in Oregon, one daughter here will be spending the day with her boyfriend and his daughter's family. Other daughter will spend the day with her son, DIL and HER family. Have two brothers here but they never invite me to anything and they have their own kids and grandkids to be with. Have cousins here and they also have kids and grandkids to spend the day with. No invites there either but it's okay because I probably wouldn't go. I've spent so many holidays alone I'm used to it. Used to be just me and Mom but she's been gone almost four years. I never understood her sons not inviting HER to their homes for holidays. Holidays have never been the same since my grandparents died but I guess we've all 'adjusted'.

Another thing is that I've nearly always had to work holidays. Not last year because I was out with a broken hip and this year I'm just 'unemployed'...but going back soon. Never thought I'd say that. lol This will be the first year I haven't made a nice dinner, just for me, though. No ambition I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
For a couple of reasons, that are really non of your business.

Thats why.

Biggest is we as a family went out one year, disastrous.

Second we once got one of those store "premade Thanksgiving packages precooked"...was a disaster too...

Besides that, the rest of the reasons are not your business.

Please dont try to make other people celebrate their holidays like you might.

Triggered much?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,443,971 times
Not having it. I live alone with no family nearby. No kids. Holidays have long meant nothing to me except for the 4th of July and other patriot holidays that remind me repeatedly how lucky I am to have grandparents that had the guts to flee Eastern Europe and come to the USA, long ago.

So not observing T-day or x-mas, isn't an issue - just another day for me.

Wishing everyone a great Thanksgiving - however you do it.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:36 PM

239 posts, read 84,925 times
Will stay in with my dogs--very cold forecast in New York. Bought them turkey slices. Doggies include a 16 1/2 year old spaniel, who will be very much celebrated too.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:47 PM

1,562 posts, read 776,813 times
Husband and I thought it would be just the two of us this year, but instead we are driving over 2 hours to son's house and bringing a friend who would otherwise be by himself. Plus son has invited two "orphans" he knows. So, instead of being lazy today, I have to hustle and bake pie and cake. And I've been asked to make and bring gravy as well. No rest for the wicked.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Alternative question: How many of you WISH you were having Thanksgiving with just yourself or with just your significant other? Families can be stressful sometimes. Life isn't the Hallmark channel.

I'm always one contentious holiday away from opting for the holiday Bahama cruise.
Why don't you start another post asking that question rather than hijacking this one?

Old 11-21-2018, 02:42 PM

2,636 posts, read 1,546,477 times
"Thanksgiving alone or 'just' with spouse"??
She's one of the main reasons I'm Thankful.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:14 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,260,355 times
Thanksgiving plans are becoming more clear. Mr. LookingatFL broke a tooth. The dentist can't see him until Monday. We will be having mush. I made salsbury steak in mushroom gravy. It is so soft it broke apart as I cooked it. I made creamed spinach. I will make mashed potatoes and he can have a bit depending upon how many carbs he calculates his meal to be.

For his breakfast I am thinking oatmeal should work, and for lunch maybe plain Greek yogurt or soup. He is going to be miserable for the next few days.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:22 PM

2,247 posts, read 1,467,194 times
It'll be just my wife and I alone. We are going to do a full Thanksgiving dinner, 12lb turkey, gravy, mash potato's and stuffing, cranberries and all. Turkeys are like .39 cents a lb here this year!

That'll mean lots of leftovers for the following week!

Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM

2,534 posts, read 805,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
"Thanksgiving alone or 'just' with spouse"??
She's one of the main reasons I'm Thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or