U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 01:26 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,099,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
For dessert he asked for a pineapple upside down cake, and I am trying to find a recipe that will work and sounds palatable.
I see several low-carb pineapple upside down cakes online, haven't tried any of them, but they sound interesting.

My husband and I have our own Thanksgiving meal the day before the holiday, just the two of us. I cook a small turkey for him, as I'm a vegetarian. Then on Thanksgiving Day, we have dinner again with family at their house, and I take a vegetable side dish or salad, and a diabetic-friendly appetizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,555 posts, read 39,934,465 times
What plans do you have and do you have a big traditional meal?

Yes, and yes...
Will be at a week long annual conference (rural country youth camp) with a BIG meal and friends from 30 yrs and friends found new for 30 minutes.

Already did a BIG meal at home before leaving

Will do another when we return. (I like BIG meals.. Thanksgiving is my favorite Holiday!) Comes from farm blood / harvest time REST!!!

I REALLY (really) miss my grandparents (gone 20+ yrs)

They hosted for decades on their farms.

As a kid, we would ride through the ravines on our horses on Thanksgiving afternoon in search of the BIGGEST tumbleweed for a hanging Christmas tree. ~6' dia was what we often brought home. Hung it up, put on lights, sprayed with 'snow'! (And enjoyed Thanksgiving Left Overs!) Grilled Cheese and smoked BBQ Turkey on Sour dough!!! Had one last night!

If you have the opportunity... be a nice (listening and fun) Grandparent (or just a nice friend)!
You just MAY impact someone's life! (likely)

Old 11-17-2018, 01:34 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
The cat and me.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:50 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,689,485 times
I've spent every Thanksgiving and Christmas alone since 2010, because I moved away from the town where my ex lives. Our son lives 2 hours from me and 10 hours from his dad, and since I see my son much more often due to the closer proximity, he usually goes to visit his dad on Christmas. Neither of us likes to drive for the TG holiday, and he's been vegan for almost 10 years, so even if he came here. we wouldn't be having a traditional TG dinner, anyway.

I really don't mind at all. I see him plenty during the year and we get along great. I usually go help at some church or another providing a TG dinner for homeless people, and I feel that's a better use of my time that day than feeling sorry for myself that I'm alone. And it helps impress upon me how thankful I am for what I have.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM

23,699 posts, read 8,243,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I've spent every Thanksgiving and Christmas alone since 2010, because I moved away from the town where my ex lives. Our son lives 2 hours from me and 10 hours from his dad, and since I see my son much more often due to the closer proximity, he usually goes to visit his dad on Christmas. Neither of us likes to drive for the TG holiday, and he's been vegan for almost 10 years, so even if he came here. we wouldn't be having a traditional TG dinner, anyway.

I really don't mind at all. I see him plenty during the year and we get along great. I usually go help at some church or another providing a TG dinner for homeless people, and I feel that's a better use of my time that day than feeling sorry for myself that I'm alone. And it helps impress upon me how thankful I am for what I have.
No stress, no mess, no 1000's of unnecessary calories. I read a long time ago and if one indulged in everything, booze, deserts, leftovers, one can consume 18K calories on that day...and yet many go to a couple pig outs.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:08 PM

3,967 posts, read 1,112,182 times
We almost always go to my wife's parents for Thanksgiving. I don't how much longer that tradition will continue. They are in their 80's. We'll probably forego Thanksgiving in the future but continue with Christmas. They do a great job hosting, we even have in-laws coming from Seattle to southern Oregon. Nobody else in the family seems interested in having up to 20 people converge for the holidays.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:16 PM

28,239 posts, read 39,884,966 times
Normally we would since we moved away from family, but we have made friends with wonderful people here that include us.

This year we are going to California to celebrate with friends and their son in Laguna Niguel. Last year it was with a family and their friends here in Las Vegas.

We've had invitations to join numerous other families as well. We know the same will happen at Christmas. And even if it didn't we are quite happy to spend it together.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:19 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,062,526 times
I'll be alone. It's a tough day for me since it was my late DH's favorite holiday and everything about it will remind me of him. I got an invite from an acquaintance but declined. I'll be having shrimp and ice cream. Maybe French toast and bacon for breakfast too.

I had my TG today - participated in our Turkey Day at the food shelf where I volunteer. Gave out over 700 frozen turkeys with fixin's. It's become my new tradition.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:32 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Amazing how many don't read the original thread question.

they just respond the way they choose... but it has nothing to do with OP's question.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:37 PM

20,413 posts, read 37,802,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Amazing how many don't read the original thread question.

they just respond the way they choose... but it has nothing to do with OP's question.

I read your comment, then I went back and re-read the original thread question AND each response. What on earth are you talking about? Almost every single one was directly responsive to the question the OP asked. Yours is pretty much the only one that isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or