U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:38 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times

Advertisements

So I just stayed home all day. Did put the turkey breast in the oven, but that was it. Sliced it up and put it in the fridge. Maybe will eat it tomorrow. I've been eating turkey and dressing for weeks now. Our town goes nuts and has all these turkey and dressing dinner fundraisers. I am turkeyed out!

I've been lounging around reading, updating my genealogy tree, watching hallmark channel, playing with the dogs.

I look at all the pics of the families celebrating. Where do they get the energy -? lol. I feel so lazy.

If they saw what I did all day, would they feel sorry for me? Or would they want to be me? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 06:46 PM

11,931 posts, read 20,379,765 times
Our family is thousands of miles away. So it’s always been the two of us. And now that we own our own business, we get to work on Thanksgiving, just a few hours, but there you go. No one in our family likes dark meat — I’m including the cats — so right now, since we’re home, the turkey breast is roasting, I’m basting with chicken stock, with mashed potatoes and homemade gravy, yummy rolls, green beans and later coconut cream pie.

My husband could careless about tradition, but he sucks it up for me.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:58 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but I don't think "just" was meant in a derogatory way but rather "just the two of us" as opposed to a big Thanksgiving crowd.
That's the way I took it too. Either alone or with a crowd.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,660,491 times
We invited my wife's entire side of the family, only one brother came. Her 3 other siblings and Mother declined our invitation.

One of our two sons came.

We invited my younger sister and her husband but one Neice suddenly responded to her mother's text messages and phone calls with an arrival time when she would be in town and the time did not allow my sister to join is.

So four adults, 1/3 of the invitees, had dinner together.

Hours of cooking and baking spread over two days for 30-40 minutes of meal. Is it worth it?

Old 11-22-2018, 08:18 PM

6,392 posts, read 3,351,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I know, right? Didn't take long for people to start blathering about their kids, grandkids, blah blah blah, none of which had anything to do with the topic.
(good grief ^^^^^)

Just my husband and I this year and our turkey-focused dog.
I really enjoyed it being just the two of us today. We spent much of the day cooking a traditional dinner together (dog camped out by oven on turkey-watch),
Enjoyed a bottle of wine by the fireplace while looking through old photo books cruising down memory lane, and marinating in gratitude.
(Dog finally sated with turkey scraps and the one day a year he gets to be up on the couch with us)

Old 11-22-2018, 09:40 PM

4,662 posts, read 3,239,300 times
I'm sorry to say I canceled out going to my friend's house for turkey dinner. Feel kind of guilty. But I knew she was having several people so I thought one person wouldn't be missed much.

So today was a lazy one for me, too. Had something in the fridge to eat. Watched CSI for much of the day.

But I did see some of the Macy's parade. Our local high school band (Cicero/North Syracuse district) marched and played in the parade. Looked so good and sounded wonderful. I love that stuff.

So I'm thinking of buying a pie and taking it over to her house tomorrow or Saturday. And try to explain how I got to be such a zombie.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:01 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have three kids but will, basically, be 'alone'. I do have my renter living here...another story!...but not doing anything just because of that. Anyway, son lives in Oregon, one daughter here will be spending the day with her boyfriend and his daughter's family. Other daughter will spend the day with her son, DIL and HER family. Have two brothers here but they never invite me to anything and they have their own kids and grandkids to be with. Have cousins here and they also have kids and grandkids to spend the day with. No invites there either but it's okay because I probably wouldn't go. I've spent so many holidays alone I'm used to it. Used to be just me and Mom but she's been gone almost four years. I never understood her sons not inviting HER to their homes for holidays. Holidays have never been the same since my grandparents died but I guess we've all 'adjusted'.

Another thing is that I've nearly always had to work holidays. Not last year because I was out with a broken hip and this year I'm just 'unemployed'...but going back soon. Never thought I'd say that. lol This will be the first year I haven't made a nice dinner, just for me, though. No ambition I guess.

Well, plans change! Older daughter got sick so didn't spend the day with her bf's daughter and family. Younger daughter spent it with a friend and *I* spent the day with her son, DIL and HER family. lol You just never know how things are going to go. lol

Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 PM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm sorry to say I canceled out going to my friend's house for turkey dinner. Feel kind of guilty. But I knew she was having several people so I thought one person wouldn't be missed much.

So today was a lazy one for me, too. Had something in the fridge to eat. Watched CSI for much of the day.

But I did see some of the Macy's parade. Our local high school band (Cicero/North Syracuse district) marched and played in the parade. Looked so good and sounded wonderful. I love that stuff.

So I'm thinking of buying a pie and taking it over to her house tomorrow or Saturday. And try to explain how I got to be such a zombie.
I'd have been much more content to eat the food I have here and been left alone.

My aunt's stepson's six year old boy was wanting me to do everything with him. He'd bounce between me and my dad. Always wanting attention.

Meanwhile, his biological father and mother have been separated for two to three years, but do not divorce. He is a school resource officer for the county driving a $50,000+ truck, and has another woman besides his wife living in the house my aunt gave him after this father died in 2010. The whole situation is ridiculous.

I have to sit there and play along. He's less of a family member to me than most people on this forum are.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:20 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
We invited my wife's entire side of the family, only one brother came. Her 3 other siblings and Mother declined our invitation.

One of our two sons came.

We invited my younger sister and her husband but one Neice suddenly responded to her mother's text messages and phone calls with an arrival time when she would be in town and the time did not allow my sister to join is.

So four adults, 1/3 of the invitees, had dinner together.

Hours of cooking and baking spread over two days for 30-40 minutes of meal. Is it worth it?
yes! Was it here that I read that someone suggested we should do Thanksgiving every five years.

Make it worth the work.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:38 AM

4,503 posts, read 6,576,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
"Thanksgiving alone or 'just' with spouse"??
She's one of the main reasons I'm Thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or