Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times

Advertisements

We had PLANNED to eat Thanksgiving Dinner alone yesterday. However, as is usually the case, we received a couple of Thanksgiving Day invites on Wednesday. That is one of the great advantages of living in a 55+ community. People are always inviting those who have no place to go on Thanksgiving.

The food was excellent and as the hosts were from the PNW, there were a couple of dishes that I had not had before.

55+ communities and areas near military bases generally have a lot of people who are away from their families and many invite in friends who have no place to go.

Several local churches were also serving meals on Thanksgiving.

Our original meal plans - steak and baked potatoes - will be dinner today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Thank you. I honestly didn't mean anything by that. I just wanted other people to share whatever they were doing for Thanksgiving and I wanted everybody to be included in the conversation. I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

And I didn't mean to imply that the statement was intended in a derogatory way. I apologize if I offended anyone with my post.
My point was that its so easy to become complacent about the presence of your life partner (of which I've been guilty myself), that we can actually begin to think of the couple as one person and of being together as not that much different from being alone -- so that more people need to be present before it becomes "a family gathering."

Old 11-23-2018, 10:35 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'd have been much more content to eat the food I have here and been left alone.

My aunt's stepson's six year old boy was wanting me to do everything with him. He'd bounce between me and my dad. Always wanting attention.

Meanwhile, his biological father and mother have been separated for two to three years, but do not divorce. He is a school resource officer for the county driving a $50,000+ truck, and has another woman besides his wife living in the house my aunt gave him after this father died in 2010. The whole situation is ridiculous.

I have to sit there and play along. He's less of a family member to me than most people on this forum are.
Poor kid. He's six, for heaven's sake. Big of you.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:06 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
One down, one to go.....the big one, Christmas. I don` even count New Year`s.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:37 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
One down, one to go.....the big one, Christmas. I don` even count New Year`s.
Eh, not a big one to me. My adult daughter will come to me on Christmas Eve after spending the previous day with her dad, and then on Christmas Day we will go to my mother's for dinner. Nothing big about it.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:41 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Xmas is even a bigger meal for me. I do 9 courses meal, just like the experience I had in France 30 years ago.
I keep doing until I’m too old to do it.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:44 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
We had a big traditional meal with 30. We are fortunate to have family not too far away. My 95 year old mom established the tradition of getting together with family this time of year to give Thanks. I grew up knowing my cousins well from spending most of thanksgiving week with them. Most of mom's sisters were teachers or married to teachers so this was a good time to drive to be together. My mom is the last of her generation left but is the catlyst for traveling to bet all together. My brother in Norman hosted this year and I drove from Dallas area to be there just up and back same day. My other brother lives in NYC and drop his daughter back to be with us all week. My sister lives west in Oklahoma so drove as well.

Joint effort on food with all the traditional items is a nice event. But I am feeling my age, I was the second oldest person to my mom which combined with feeling my age from the 3 hour early morning drive up to visit before the early afternoon big meal as well as from caring for a spouse that was not up to making the trip. I was worn out and so glad to get home after the drive back. Between traffic and feeling my age I can see when we wont be making this trip due to aging and its health and energy issues.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Because not everyone is depressed or despondent to spend Thanksgiving alone or with an SO. Some people choose to do so.
Where was being "depressed or despondent" mentioned in the OP? It simply asked if you were going to be either alone or with just a spouse and, if so, if you'd still have a big celebration.

Maybe the OP should pop up every few posts to remind people what the question was, since that seems necessary (people can't stick to the subject).

Old 11-23-2018, 05:51 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
. . .
Maybe the OP should pop up every few posts to remind people what the question was, since that seems necessary (people can't stick to the subject).
Keep up, back there!

If you look back at post #175 in this thread, you'll see that the OP *has* popped in and commented on people sticking to the subject.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Family, all the food one can eat with 50 plus people in the house.

I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement