U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,659,524 times
Reputation: 10169

Advertisements

This will be the first year it'll just be my husband and me. We made reservations at a restaurant, just because we felt we should do something. The funny thing is this is a seafood restaurant that happened to advertise a turkey dinner for Thanksgiving. The more we think about it, the more we want seafood and not turkey. So, we'll eat out but I suspect nothing about this dinner will be "Thanksgiving". Nonetheless, we'll give thanks.


We've both been working very hard to lose weight and get in shape, so I suspect we'll be eating lightly, whatever we have. The big heavy meal never did much for me, anyway. It was fun to spend time with family, but we'll ahve other opportunities in the next few weeks.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 11-17-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Arizona
5,959 posts, read 5,309,871 times
Reputation: 18004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I read your comment, then I went back and re-read the original thread question AND each response. What on earth are you talking about? Almost every single one was directly responsive to the question the OP asked. Yours is pretty much the only one that isn't.
No, about half mentioned friends, kids, in laws, etc. Your first post was one of them. That is not alone or with spouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Reputation: 30347
Oh no big deal....

the OP is asking for older folks that will be ALONE, as I said, that's me, or just a couple together....

Some here state they have invitations to get togethers etc. for Thanksgiving....


Nothing to do with being alone. 4-5 listed how many people they'll be eating with, where they go to someone's house for the meal.

I just took my pain med....maybe I'm being too weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Earth
239 posts, read 85,261 times
Reputation: 1031
I'm the "last one standing" after years of family caregiver duty, the latest having been my brother who passed in 2017 at 68 after years of illness. I'm socially connected enough not to feel isolated, though for Thanksgiving I'm content to spend the day with my dogs.

I have a choice of local delis to put together a nice ensemble of food. I've always been a natural loner, so I value as much solitude as the occasional invitation somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque NM
1,661 posts, read 1,527,824 times
Reputation: 3650
I may be spending Thanksgiving alone this year. A friend visited from out of state earlier this month. She had lice (has no idea where she got it from) but thought she had gotten rid of it before the trip. However she found more cooties once she got to her sister's house. Her sister, who I normally spend Thanksgiving with, and I were very careful around the visitor and I did not stay overnight at the sister's house.

The sister and I are both using a preventative shampoo (which makes my scalp itch!) and are about to finish the 14 day treatment. Will decide early next week if it is safe to travel or if I should just stay home. I'm sure I might get a little depressed being home alone but I love Thanksgiving foods and will just buy some of my favorites from Whole Foods or a similar deli. But staying home alone (and without a spouse or significant other) for Christmas would be very depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
I'm the "last one standing" after years of family caregiver duty, the latest having been my brother who passed in 2017 at 68 after years of illness. I'm socially connected enough not to feel isolated, though for Thanksgiving I'm content to spend the day with my dogs.

I have a choice of local delis to put together a nice ensemble of food. I've always been a natural loner, so I value as much solitude as the occasional invitation somewhere.

Me too...loners do just fine being alone on holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I may be spending Thanksgiving alone this year. A friend visited from out of state earlier this month. She had lice (has no idea where she got it from) but thought she had gotten rid of it before the trip. However she found more cooties once she got to her sister's house. Her sister, who I normally spend Thanksgiving with, and I were very careful around the visitor and I did not stay overnight at the sister's house.

The sister and I are both using a preventative shampoo (which makes my scalp itch!) and are about to finish the 14 day treatment. Will decide early next week if it is safe to travel or if I should just stay home. I'm sure I might get a little depressed being home alone but I love Thanksgiving foods and will just buy some of my favorites from Whole Foods or a similar deli.



But staying home alone (and without a spouse or significant other) for Christmas would be very depressing.

It's not depressing for those of us who are naturally introverted...

But might be for those who are people oriented, need to have someone around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Reputation: 30347
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No, about half mentioned friends, kids, in laws, etc. Your first post was one of them. That is not alone or with spouse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,659,524 times
Reputation: 10169
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Me too...loners do just fine being alone on holidays!

Amen! Even social people like me do just fine being alone on holidays, especially Thanksgiving. It never was my favorite holiday, anyway. I don't hate it, but I can take it or leave it. I've been on my own many times for Christmas, too, and found ways to enjoy the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
2,410 posts, read 916,924 times
Reputation: 4261
Dinner with family. This year we will all go to my sister in laws home. Dunno what the wife plans on bringing yet but everyone brings something. The years it's not at our place is so much easier. Less cooking and less cleanup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top