U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 03:10 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,318,532 times

Advertisements

Having Thanksgiving Dinner with my husband at a small boutique hotel in Asheville. The Princess Anne. The menu sounds yummy.

Princess Anne Hotel - Asheville, NC. Guest House Historic Princess Anne

We are usually with family or “gold friends” for Thanksgiving, but this year has been complicated. Will be seeing them for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 03:41 PM
JRR

3,687 posts, read 2,233,446 times
For the last 20 years or so, it has pretty much just been the two of us for Thanksgiving. Only exception was once when we managed to get time off from work and visit my wife's family in Ohio. But this year some friends invited us over, so we are leaving our turkey in the freezer and heading over to their house.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:45 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,945,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
Having Thanksgiving Dinner with my husband at a small boutique hotel in Asheville. The Princess Anne. The menu sounds yummy.

Princess Anne Hotel - Asheville, NC. Guest House Historic Princess Anne

We are usually with family or “gold friends” for Thanksgiving, but this year has been complicated. Will be seeing them for Christmas.

Oooh...looks like a great place, have fun.
That's about an hour from me...maybe I'll get there one day

Old 11-17-2018, 03:48 PM

3,701 posts, read 1,879,781 times
Just the two of us. Going out to eat.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:48 PM

1,002 posts, read 391,262 times
We have an older neighbor who is kind of the local, grumpy, old man joining us, an older member of our church who is alone with a broken arm and my daughter joining us. My wife loves to cook so she’s happy to share the meal with our neighbors who could use a little love.

The alternative is to fly 1800 miles and work ourselves to death at my aunt’s who typically sits between 25-35 for Thanksgiving dinner. We’ll pass this year. Lol

Old 11-17-2018, 04:57 PM

20,423 posts, read 37,851,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No, about half mentioned friends, kids, in laws, etc. Your first post was one of them. That is not alone or with spouse.

That is not specified in the original post. It says that THEY will be on their own.

"My husband and I have Thanksgiving alone, no family left. Since it's just the two of us we have a small meal, chicken, dressing, green beans, chicken and dumplings, basically whatever we feel like. One year we went to a restaurant and it was really good but swore we'd never do that again because of the line and crowd.

My husband has always taken care of his teeth but he's been fighting a losing battle and finally gave up, they continue to break. Monday he goes in and will have them pulled. We could join some others here for a potluck but he has to be a soft diet, we'll be having soup. The Dentist thinks having well water most of his life could have caused this.

What plans do you have and do you have a big traditional meal?"

As for ourselves on Thanksgiving itself it will be just the two of us. Being foodies who like spontaneity and experimentation, no telling what we'll eat but it likely won't be traditional. (Except maybe cranberry sauce, he has to have cranberry sauce no matter what for Thanksgiving.)

Old 11-17-2018, 05:17 PM

28,287 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No, about half mentioned friends, kids, in laws, etc. Your first post was one of them. That is not alone or with spouse.

You should ask a mod to delete all those posts that are unnecessary. That way this thread will have only what you want to see and be very short.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:09 PM

1,692 posts, read 581,526 times
I would prefer to spend Thanksgiving alone but am kind of socially obligated to go to my DIL's aunt's house who has it every year (been invited/gone for the last four.)

They have the big family gathering thing with all the traditional food, which is a problem for me on two levels: (a) I usually have more than enough of large group of people after Hour Two, and (b) due to health issues I'm on an extremely restricted diet and literally the only thing I'm able to eat there is plain turkey. Makes it awkward for both me and the hostess. Frankly I'd much rather spend the day quetly at home eating my usual soft bland mushy foods that are utterly boring at least won't cause me to spend the next 12-24 hours in painful debilitating gastric misery. :-/

However, since DS and DIL had a baby earlier this year and they always go there, my presence will probably be de rigeuer for the foreseeable future. Oh well.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM

21,618 posts, read 14,393,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Amazing how many don't read the original thread question.

they just respond the way they choose... but it has nothing to do with OP's question.
I know, right? Didn't take long for people to start blathering about their kids, grandkids, blah blah blah, none of which had anything to do with the topic.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:57 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,118,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You should ask a mod to delete all those posts that are unnecessary. That way this thread will have only what you want to see and be very short.

I wish a mod would delete my post, I feel bad for having said anything in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or