Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2018, 09:04 PM

705 posts, read 562,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Since my retirement, I assist at one of the missions with serving a hot holiday meal to those less fortunate than me.
Thank you for being such a compassionate person. Happy Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 09:07 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
We are making dinner here with our son, DIL and two grandkids coming over. I saw our son tonight and told him to invite any of their friends over that might be alone and want to come, even if just for dessert.

I cleaned the refrigerator today, washing the shelves and bins. There’s a lot more to clean out now than our first tiny fridge. At least I don’t have to boil water and defrost the ice inside the freezer, remember that? I swear I did that every other week! I thought of that today and quit mentally complaining. I made a shopping list and am heading out to the grocery store early tomorrow. I’ve been stockpiling a few items, so it’s not a ton of stuff to get all at once. It’s a lot of work, but I enjoy doing it.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
We spent last year alone but this year a cousin and her husband expressed a wish to come see our new apt.

So I said, How about Thanksgiving?

A real benefit is that her husband is really into cooking so they're bringing all the vegetables. Even home made cranberry sauce.

That leaves me to buy a turkey breast and make a pumpkin pie. As the time draws nearer I'm getting excited. I never thought I'd be using my good china and silver again. Cousin is 85 years young so she will appreciate the nicely set table. I'm going to throw the boxes still unpacked from moving into one of the bedrooms and keep the door closed, lol.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Actual Turkey Day it will just be the two of us, although we will be going out Friday with friends and Saturday to a large holiday party.

Usually we spend it with our son, but this year he and his gf are going on a cruise. Instead of us going to see him over this holiday, they will come up here in late December.

Other than him we have just about no family left.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
The Dentist actually said it was possibly the reason. I've heard that a mineral deficiencies especially of calcium, magnesium, zinc, or riboflavin can affect oral health in many ways. He's had a lot of health issues (2 types of cancer) since 2014 so I don't know if any of that helped speed up the process but he made it 68 years with all his teeth. He considered implants but decided at this point it's not worth the cost.

For Thanksgiving we're having homemade creamy potato soup and jello which will be easy on him.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeJP...G9ijdH1wqF3KX9
A quick off-topic suggestion, if it has not already been mentioned to you: Dentists can sell a prescription-grade fluoridated toothpaste. You brush with it and do NOT rinse, just spit it out. In fact, you should not eat or drink anything for at least an hour afterward. Because our water is not fluoridated, I use this most nights just before bedtime. Alternatively, or in addition to the special toothpaste, the dentist can have you do a swish-and-soak of fluoridated solution at each checkup. The toothpaste costs $14 and easily lasts 6 months.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:22 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Holidays mean nothing to me. So I don't sit around feeling all sorry for my self. Like seriously? It is all artificial.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:11 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Wife and I go out for dinner. Kids are all 400 plus miles away.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:39 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
My husband and I have Thanksgiving alone, no family left. Since it's just the two of us we have a small meal, chicken, dressing, green beans, chicken and dumplings, basically whatever we feel like. One year we went to a restaurant and it was really good but swore we'd never do that again because of the line and crowd.

My husband has always taken care of his teeth but he's been fighting a losing battle and finally gave up, they continue to break. Monday he goes in and will have them pulled. We could join some others here for a potluck but he has to be a soft diet, we'll be having soup. The Dentist thinks having well water most of his life could have caused this.

What plans do you have and do you have a big traditional meal?

My lovely SO and I will be eating alone, at home. Originally made reservations for the Thanksgiving buffet at the country club but decided to go with a traditional dinner at home, supplied by Safeway.

Note to OP - Sorry to hear about your husband's dental issues. We can both relate

Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Hey, you're the one who brought up your fathers being alone and also that your father-in-law will be bitterly disappointed. If you didn't want anyone to comment on that situation then you should have kept those details to yourself.

I agree.
Hes bitterly disappointed regardless of what we do. He was disappointed when i DID put on the whole shebang.

There is tension so thick between my OH and my FIL that you can cut the air with a knife. They never have gotten along, ever. You cannot put those two in the same room, heck they cant even talk civilly on the phone let alone be in the same room without fighting.

He is 90 and is bitter ti be living do long especially since MIL died. I only continued to do the whole shebang for MIL. My mother passed away many years ago. Lonv after i was physically able to do it anymore.

Since YOU dont know the family dynamics AT ALL, its NOT YOUR PLACE to pass judgement on anything i said.

Perhaps you need to know more about people and familial situations before YOU decide how people should handle things .

And my father? He doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving anymore sinve my mother passed. Has no desire to.

Now you know more THAN i wanted to tell based on YOUR RUDE SUGGESTION.

sheesh

Judge not lest ye be judged...

Old 11-19-2018, 06:52 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,760 times
This thread sounds like an assumption that everyone is married or has kids but that's isn't the case. I'm single and have tons of single friends (both male and female). None of us are widowed nor divorced with kids nor do we have any SO's.

I'm going with a friend to see her relative in a nursing home and we'll eat there. I also hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for another friend at my house over the weekend because I'll be busy on Thanksgiving itself.

It's just another day. Personally I don't eat a lot and don't drink so the food aspect is wasted on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement