Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 07:54 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,102,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I read your comment, then I went back and re-read the original thread question AND each response. What on earth are you talking about? Almost every single one was directly responsive to the question the OP asked. Yours is pretty much the only one that isn't.
I did the same thing GBH original post was no different than anyone else's response to the question. ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 AM

3,972 posts, read 8,102,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No, about half mentioned friends, kids, in laws, etc. Your first post was one of them. That is not alone or with spouse.
But the final question was.......

"What plans do you have and do you have a big traditional meal?"

We can still be retired, live alone, live far away from family, and still celebrate with friends , kids, etc. and that was her question. What plans do you have? Do you do a traditional meal? Some of us old, retired people who live in a state without any family around don't do the alone or even just with spouse and they answered as such. It is OK if some prefer it that way; but also OK if we prefer to make family traditions continue till we die.

So yes everyone is answering the original post.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 AM

705 posts, read 557,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
This thread sounds like an assumption that everyone is married or has kids but that's isn't the case.
It really wasn't intended to be that way. In the title I said, How many of you that retired will have Thanksgiving alone or just with spouse? I do realize that there are people alone. I later said please tell us what you have planned because I love reading on this forum and thought it would be a nice subject. I wanted everyone to be included.

We have no kids unless you count our two dogs. After my divorce and before I met my 2nd husband I spent holiday's alone and it really didn't bother me, it was just another day. Don't get me wrong years ago I loved big Thanksgiving and Christmas family meals but that changed for me when I lost my family and then my close friends. It actually happens to a lot of people.

My husband and I aren't big eaters so I don't do a big meal for us, he's not big on eating leftovers for several days and he can't have turkey. We do get invited to join others for dinner but we always choose to stay home and watch the parade and just have a nice quiet day. My husband had to travel in his job so we spent so little time together and actually enjoy it now. I now look at Thanksgiving as a day to just be thankful for something. For me, I'm thankful I still have my husband, he's had a rough 4 years. And today is our Anniversary, we made it another year.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 AM

881 posts, read 643,525 times
We aren't retired yet. Our son, his wife and 15 yr old grandson live with us. They are going by her mom and we don't care to go. We could also meet up at my nephews in Milwaukee about 3.5 hours away both of my sisters will be there. No thanks. So its my hubby and me with my brother in law who is up deer hunting. Turkey breast, stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberries and roasted sweet potatoes and carrots. Don't want a lot of leftovers the grandson is in a basketball tournament all weekend so we will be watching.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:43 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,675,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
And today is our Anniversary, we made it another year.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Happy anniversary. Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 AM

34,812 posts, read 30,852,651 times
I won't be alone, but I'll probably eat and leave.

All the family that I care about are local. Getting together for a Thanksgiving dinner when I see them all weekly isn't really that meaningful. I'll probably leave for a trip either Thanksgiving night or very early Friday morning.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 AM

10,043 posts, read 6,307,300 times
It will be just me and the furry bunch, as usual, this Thanksgiving. I'm going shopping today for something low fat but good to eat as I have a heart procedure tomorrow and won't be able to drive for two days (assuming it goes well, haha). Fortunately the furries' dinner comes in cans, so it's easy to prepare!

Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 AM

87,957 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Holidays mean nothing to me. So I don't sit around feeling all sorry for my self. Like seriously? It is all artificial.
If it were all "artificial", would it be the biggest travel weekend of the year?

Doesn't mean you have to participate in it, and I'm not really, either, but it is an important time of family gathering for many, and there is nothing artificial about it.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:32 AM

705 posts, read 557,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Happy anniversary. Happy Thanksgiving.
Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It will be just me and the furry bunch, as usual, this Thanksgiving. I'm going shopping today for something low fat but good to eat as I have a heart procedure tomorrow and won't be able to drive for two days (assuming it goes well, haha). Fortunately the furries' dinner comes in cans, so it's easy to prepare!
My husband is getting his teeth pulled today so it'll be soup for us this year.

I hope heart procedure goes well, will say a prayer for you. Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:46 AM

5,945 posts, read 5,081,003 times
Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving, however you choose to spend the day/weekend.
I'm always surprised at how threads like these seem to bring about argumentative discussion.

Kind of like having dinner with the family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement