Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2018, 03:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,935,418 times

Advertisements

Thanksgiving with spouse and puppy. 10 lb turkey covered in bacon, stuffing, cranberry sauce, broccoli custard, stuffed artichokes, pecan pie. My mouth just started watering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,846,583 times
I've been having Thanksgiving by myself since I was in my 30s. People used to invite me to their houses for holidays because I wasn't married and didn't have any family up here (although my brother came up for Christmas a couple of times).

Having a holiday with other people was just something I didn't want to do but did because it was the expected thing to do. At the time, I worked a full-time job and went to school with finals about a week before Christmas, so when the holidays rolled around, I really wanted a day off. From everything. What I didn't want to do was get up early, make or bake something to take along with me, spend time with a lot of people I didn't know, and eat foods I didn't like to eat (I don't like cranberries, yam, stuffing, green beans, etc). But I did it anyway and I always went home with a headache afterwards. And it was right back to work the day after the holiday.

So one day I decided to put my foot down and tell people I had other plans, thank you. I had the nicest holiday ever. I went out and got some Chinese food the night before and spend the day just watching TV and eating. By myself. Total peace and relaxation.

I did that the next year and the next and decided that when I got tired of being alone, I'd go out or invite some friends over. But I never got tired of being alone. Just me and the dog and it was great. I'd like to have another dog, but I still don't want to "celebrate" a holiday with a bunch of people. Just...no.

Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,632,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
"Thanksgiving alone or 'just' with spouse"??
She's one of the main reasons I'm Thankful.
I can't speak for the OP, but I don't think "just" was meant in a derogatory way but rather "just the two of us" as opposed to a big Thanksgiving crowd.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:37 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,772,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I can't speak for the OP, but I don't think "just" was meant in a derogatory way but rather "just the two of us" as opposed to a big Thanksgiving crowd.

Yes, agree. Someone always looks for an insult....

Old 11-21-2018, 05:41 PM

705 posts, read 560,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Thank you. I honestly didn't mean anything by that. I just wanted other people to share whatever they were doing for Thanksgiving and I wanted everybody to be included in the conversation. I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:48 PM

50,169 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Put me in the category of being fine with just the two of us. We will have a lovely quiet meal, and it is a relief to not have to polish up the house, get out the good China and spend a fortune on company.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:05 PM

749 posts, read 849,035 times
Blissfully, just the two of us!

Old 11-21-2018, 06:24 PM

7,754 posts, read 6,332,195 times
There is a veterans group here in "geezerland", and we will go to the VFW over in the next town. Good to be with friends.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,378,055 times
Someone else mentioned a place in San Jose, CA. I'm meeting some friends at Scramblz in San Jose, which is a breakfast joint that will also have a traditional Thanksgiving meal on the menu for tomorrow, in addition to their usual menu items.

I'm seriously thinking about just ordering eggs benedict, though, ha ha.

I decided to invite some friends to go out to eat somewhere cheap and then go see a movie. No cooking, no cleaning. My friends are from other countries and won't be going home to visit until closer to Christmas, so they didn't have family plans.

We're going to eat cheap, and then go see Creed 2. The new Rocky movie.

I decided to boycott cleaning and cooking for holidays many years ago and never went back.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,548,135 times
Me, the little woman and our puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement