U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 06:59 AM

4,978 posts, read 3,464,691 times

Advertisements

A car accident severely injured my back. Prior to that,I walked a lot, was remodeling my house, and able to lift heavy objects, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:05 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,261,178 times
Me too, meo. Had yet more surgery this year. Thought I could give up the cane a few months later. Recently fell down hard on the concrete. For a while I was in a wheel chair to get around because it was just easier. Will try again when I am up to it.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:51 AM

5,790 posts, read 4,843,885 times
My community is mostly active retired folks. I see a lot of injuries due to playing sports, mostly knee injuries, rotator cuff injuries, hip replacements, etc. I'm sure the orthopedists of the world love the sport of pickleball for providing them with plenty of new retirement age patients. LOL. I've also seen a few of our friends getting some scary diagnoses...Parkinson's, prostate cancer, etc. One friend got MERSA in the hospital from a knee replacement 6 years ago, and he still suffers periodic flare-ups of the infection. My siblings suffer the family curse of diabetes and heart disease.

We're doing fine healthwise. DH (64) has a diagnoses that could spell trouble SOMEDAY, but that day isn't going to be this year, so we watch and wait. I (59) have only a minor auto-immune condition that I've had since my 20's that is easily managed with one medication, and a back that likes to spasm if overworked.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,174,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This isn't mine but what I observe in my senior independent living complex is far more people using walkers and canes than I ever imagined I would see. Lots of hip and knee replacements to go along with this.

I wonder if this could be because these people in their youth had cars to drive even the shortest distances and they just didn't get the exercise needed for strong legs by walking or if it's just some kind of genetic condition. I have noticed that those who don't need help walking walk a lot but is that because they can or because they do?
I think just the opposite, I think you see so many with hip and knee problems because in their youth they ran all the time. and now the joints have broken down.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:54 AM

566 posts, read 267,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Had to use the 1 in my title let CD allow my subject.

As a retired Social Worker I am still interested in the human condition. I see so many people posting here who speak of many limiting physical issues. How and why I ask, but with all due respect. And let me say I’m sorry.
I have several health issues, 2 limit what I can and can't do. I had a back injury years ago and it's been made worse by RA, so I have problems with my joints, today my hands are really painful and I notice more typo's occur on those days. I'm the 1st to admit I do a lot less these days, sometimes I stay in a chair, the couch or bed when it's severe. Sometimes no matter how much we exercised, ate right etc...life just happens and it's not always pleasant but it beats the alternative.

Years ago I had a friend that started having joint issues, according to her Dr. from all the jogging she did. She was forced to stop due to repeated stress fractures. He said it would give her a fit when she was older and it did.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:15 PM

7,693 posts, read 4,725,286 times
Quote:
This isn't mine but what I observe in my senior independent living complex is far more people using walkers and canes than I ever imagined I would see. Lots of hip and knee replacements to go along with this.

I wonder if this could be because these people in their youth had cars to drive even the shortest distances and they just didn't get the exercise needed for strong legs by walking or if it's just some kind of genetic condition. I have noticed that those who don't need help walking walk a lot but is that because they can or because they do?

The auditory vestibular nerve (sends balance information to the brain) in my left ear was damaged by a viral infection a couple of years ago, so I am unsteady on my feet when I'm tired and tend to list to the left. I can see I might have to use a cane before long. There's nothing wrong with my legs, no neuropathy or claudication or lack of muscle.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:32 PM

132 posts, read 46,794 times
I am a cruise enthusiast and I've noticed a lot of people with walkers, canes and scooters on ships. It is not just those in their 70's and 80's but some that are much younger. One thing some have in common is that they are overweight which is stressful for the joints. Yes, I know there is an abundance of food on cruises but I don't really think that is the reason for the obesity. It seems the weight issue is the norm for these people. As a result, they do need support equipment to move around.

I think that there is a proliferation of knee replacements in more recent times. I observed knee scars and also talked to some who have gotten surgery both at the gym and on some of my cruises. I would assume that a doctor have suggested to some that they need to lose weight for the benefit of the new knees. Seems that the weight should be taken off before surgery for a better chance of success. Anyway, the support equipment is needed for these people to get around.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You are seeing a subset of people of that age. The population there is biased by circumstance. I suspect those who move into a "senior independent living complex" do so because they want/need a bit more assistance with living than those who don't. Those who, because of physical limitations no longer want to keep up a home, yard, do their own driving, etc. Those who don't have physical limitations are still where they manage/maintain their lives without assistance.
We don't have any assistance offered here though. This is just an apartment complex for people age 62 and up. It's more of a social thing to move here.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:51 PM

31,701 posts, read 19,992,457 times
I think it makes sense that those that have some sort sort of physical problem/limitation would be more prone to spend time on the internet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-19-2018, 04:08 PM

7,229 posts, read 12,680,107 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I think just the opposite, I think you see so many with hip and knee problems because in their youth they ran all the time. and now the joints have broken down.
I was going to say what arwenmark ended up saying (thanks! ) -- when I lived in Ann Arbor (1993 to 2002, age 34 to 43), for at least the last several years there I was a dedicated runner (had a major medical issue in the late '90s that scared the crap out of me, and running was the ONLY thing that kept me sane) ... but I ran mostly on the streets instead of tracks (although I did use those sometimes) or treadmills (boring, boring, boring, I thought). As a result, although I was probably in the best shape of my life, I was seriously screwing up my knees.

I continued to run when I moved to New Hampshire in 2002, although I bought a treadmill and ran on THAT more often than not to TRY to make things easier on my knees. But the years of going out 1, 2, 3 times a day (running was THE best stress reliever I had ever known) took a toll. My left knee is pretty much shot and I expect I will have to have a knee replacement in the next 5-10 years (if I can wait that long). My right knee feels normal most of the time, but even THAT one sometimes acts up.

I loved, loved, loved running, so I miss it more than I can say. When I jog, very slowly, on my treadmill, I relive some of those wonderful days, but I know rationally I have to take it easy -- and I definitely should have been more prudent. I have dreams sometimes where I am running on the streets of Ann Arbor, almost flying ... and I wake up feeling very, very sad.

I'm 59 now, will be 60 on New Year's Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement