U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:01 AM

3,149 posts, read 3,084,775 times

Advertisements

Sorry for being ignorant, but what's an OH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Sorry for being ignorant, but what's an OH?
Other Half

Old 11-20-2018, 11:04 AM

1,933 posts, read 347,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
My 12 year old shelter dog that I rescued last Saturday has brought so much joy and love into my home. He is already blossoming in so many ways. It is very healing for me to give him a new life but I am not sure who rescued who!
Awe, bless you HappyDog! Old dogs are so wonderful, and often so much in need of a loving home.

OP, our hearts are with you. I wish you much peace and comfort, knowing what a great life you've given your little guy, and what a great life he gave you as well.

Our last cats lived to 17 and 18. Millie was a neurotic, anxious, sweet girl who couldn't get enough petting and snuggling. Jack was a rogue - caught and ate every insect to be found, liked to tease us by being just out of reach, devilishly handsome. We had to make that hard decision with both of them - Millie had kidney failure, and Jack had a nasal tumor. We nursed them both as long as we could, until it was clear that their quality of life just wasn't there anymore. So hard, yet I do take comfort in the fact that we shared nearly two beautiful decades together, and we have so many wonderful memories of them.

Our dog Greta is a 13-year-old goofy lab mix who makes us laugh every day. She's slowing down a lot but still finds breakfast and dinner to be the most exciting events of the day, and still loves her stop-sniff-pee walks around the lake, especially on those crisp fall days.

What would we do without these incredible little beings? Thinking of you today and sending love to you all.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:42 AM

8,239 posts, read 11,104,689 times
My pit//lab mix is 20. Going strong except for being deaf.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:10 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,534,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
I lost my 14 yr. old Golden Retriever last February, 14 is really getting up there age wise for the breed.

I have a Border Collie/Heeler mix, I don't know exactly how old she is as she was a rescue, but that was back in
2004 and she was fully grown by then. She is doing great.

My cat who was born in my home turns 17 in July. I never imagined in a million years that I would have pets
last for so long. I too struggle with the idea of getting a new pet. Too painful to imagine.

I am sorry about your precious cat. Sending you hugs. I understand.

btw, I cried for three days straight over the loss of my Golden Retriever. After the third day, I went to sleep
that night and had a vivid dream. I was sitting in my living room, and she was standing at my front door. I
was so happy to see her, so I jumped up and ran to her. In life, she passed away from a cancerous tumor in
her lung/chest area. Anyway, in my dream I noticed that she had a bubble on her chest. I opened the door
and called her to walk in. Instead she slowly walked away, turning her head to look at me as I called to her.
I woke up with a jolt, the dream seemed so real. Someone suggested that she was visiting me in spirit form,
and that she did not come to me because she crossed over. I have no doubt that I will see her again when it
is my turn to leave this life.

I had several shelties. They are wonderful dogs and would love to have another. But I've taken to adopting those who 'come' to us and need us. The dogs we started with in my marriage all lasted into the teens. Several were put down simply because the pain that kept worsening could not be helped anymore. They were also old by then, and I believe they wanted a release. I held my one cocker while he passed, and there was just relief and comfort, and a look of thanks. And little Gumby was almost 18, and could barely walk. We gave him meds for pain, but he knew he was ready. He lay on his favorite pillow and with his humans there and relaxed into a deep sleep, and never woke. But you could feel the relief and the gift we'd given him.

In his honor I named the current Gumby, except he's a very large shepard mix. He's ten. He was found as a lost and unclaimed puppy we took in. We didn't expect such a big dog, but he's taught me not to fear them JUST because they are big. He has his sidekick Pokey, who turned out to be a heeler. I had noticed she tried (and sometimes succeds) to herd cats before but didn't know it was normal to the breed. She and her brother also have the loudest, snarliest 'fights' in settling who runs the house, and usually she wins since he's done his part and wants to check if there's any food yet.

He's my first real big dog, and nearly full shepard, and I'd been afraid of them, but will never be again. If the dog is NOT under any control, its their human's responsibility, not the dogs..... But he's so much more than a 'dog', and knows the rules too. The cats are not supposed to sneek outside. He runs over and barks at them if they approach the door. And he's got this little 'yip' which means help needed. He's not just my dog, but my helper.

With my cats I've felt them in the room for a time after their passing. They are past pain, but not love. They come and go as they need, until they are ready. Sometimes you just know with the older ones that its time. Hold them and let them love you, but cats are skilled at hiding pain, and there is a lightness to them when they have chosen to let go, and will come to you to say goodbye in your arms with special love.

My sheltie we had when I was in high school, and moved, was at the vet for regular checkups, and we knew how fragile his body was. But while the vet said not too much longer, he lived more than another year. But he is was in pain. We did what medicine could do, and let him go. But for years I could feel him, especially when we moved in the new place, just waiting to be near again.

Pets are part of our lives not because we need them to guard us, though they will, but because in some way when we lived in caves and our dogs kept us safe a bond deeper than changing times connected us to our dogs and cats and other creatures we made family, and we are not whole without it.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:20 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,295,407 times
I had 2 nineteen year old cats who were brothers. Same litter both died this year just a few weeks apart. They had been declining for the past year but still had their personality so it was very difficult to pull the plug. Thankfully they passed peacefully in their sleep. I have a few young ones now but the house just seems so quiet without them around.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:08 PM

480 posts, read 323,114 times
I had a cat who was a couple of months shy of her 21st birthday when she died. I got her when I was in college; she moved with me from Utah to Colorado to Maryland and back to Colorado; dealt with the indignity of acquiring dogs (and a husband, LOL) in the household; and slept with me every single night. She died at home, on my bed, two days before my birthday.

The oldest of my current pets is a cat who is 14 or 15 and battling mammary gland cancer so won't be with us much longer. I cherish every day I have with her.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:28 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cat, 19yrs.
Same here. Cat, 19 years old.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
That would be my dog Tayah, who passed away last year at 17, and my cat Scratchy who is presently 17 and probably has a good year left in her. She has kidney disease and hyperthyroid, but she's still spry and loves to run amuck in the house. She still climbs her 5 foot cat tree, and can jump on and off the bed, so she's not feeble or anything.

I'm so sorry about your fur baby OP. It's so hard to let go, but it's a gift of kindness and mercy to relieve them from their suffering. Think of it as your last act of love for your kitty.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-20-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 11-20-2018, 03:11 PM

11,081 posts, read 12,461,714 times
My Blue Healer was 16-18 when he died. He was my EXGF dog and she threw him away when she threw me away. I only had him for 3 years but got very attached. He was a great dog, very very smart, amazing personality. He died laying on his pillow in his sleep (this past June).

I must have cried for two solid weeks and still tear up when I think about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or