U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times

Advertisements

OP here.

It is over. He is at peace.

Theres an ache and a hole in my heart, an empty spot on the bed,
and a litter box looking for its owner.

My little man, my furry boy, my fur-face, little buddy is gone.

The vet gave us one last chance by asking if we were sure we wanted to do this.i gave her one last chance by asking unless she had something else in mind? She said this was all she had in mind, we said then go ahead.

Ill write more tomorrow.

Right now I'll try to take a nap...without the familiar heat spot and lump that always reassured me he was snuggled up against me......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 04:15 PM

480 posts, read 322,831 times
I'm so sorry, galaxy. It's never easy.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:08 PM

21,954 posts, read 22,094,309 times
I had a tuxedo cat, Annie, who lived to be almost exactly 22. She was really pretty healthy right up until the end, too. One day she had a seizure; I saw it happen. We rushed her to the vet, who was able to stabilize her. She came home and was okay the next day, but the day after that, had another seizure. This time, the vet said she suspected a brain aneurysm and suggested that we put her to sleep. Obviously, after 22 years of having her with us every day, it was heartbreaking. But there was no denying that she had a long and very happy life.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:20 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
On another note:

I called our "family " (very close friends). Who lost a 16 yo cat a couple years ago. We adored their cat and he in turn adored us, it was hard to hear we'd never see him again.

He was sorry to hear about our little boy, but informed me today they got their new 6 mos. Old cat.

And thusly, "The circle of life" continues....

May i and my OH rest as peacefully as our furry boy, my little buddy.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,504,154 times
Though it was extremely incredibly unbelievely difficult, it was the right time and you did the right thing because of your deep love.

You have so much more to give and receive from another little soul, when you are ready.

((Big hug))

HD

Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,663,961 times
Lots of hugs for you, galaxyhi, what a hard day.

We euthanized our 20 year old Siamese this past spring. I got her as a tiny kitten as an anniversary present to myself. She was the best present ever. She was a sweetheart and lived with us longer than our son did before going off to college.

20 years is a long time, with a lot of love to give and receive during that time. You were lucky to have your boy with you for so long.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:26 PM

3,149 posts, read 3,083,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Other Half

Ok, thanks, makes sense.

So sorry about what you're going through with your kitty.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,321,933 times
So sorry about your little buddy. We lost a few old-timers in 2017 and early 2018 (20 years old, 18 and 2 that were 15). We knew they would start passing away, but it was tough to lose so many in a short period of time. We subsequently took in a few of our friendlier ferals and they are all doing well.

Give yourself some time to grieve and then see if you are ready for another kitty.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,294,198 times
I read this whole thread just now and was worried when I got to p.4, because I knew what I'd see: the post about the OP's little fur buddy being gone from this world.

Galaxihi, so sorry you've had to go through this. I think every one of us knows that empty feeling, and we realize how much space in our heart and our home these beloved nonhuman family members take up. So few things left behind--a blanket, a pillow, a few toys--but they have left paw prints all across our memories over so many years. You will probably hear his paws on the floor, and see him out of the corner of your eye, for weeks to come.

After the passing of our two dogs, First Dog (13) and Sweetie (only 8), I wrote a short memorial piece. It had great therapeutic value for me. A photo memorial on social media also works for some people, but this is as "social" as I want to get online, so I'm not into Facebook, Instagram, etc. But putting some pictures and words together about your kitty's life may make your grief focused, somehow, and help you get through the darkest hours.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:43 AM

1,183 posts, read 343,669 times
A cat, 21. Our old boy was healthy up to the last couple of months. At the end we had the vet come to the house to put him to sleep in his favorite spot on the sofa.

He was black as night, black fur, whiskers, claws. I still momentarily confuse anything black on the floor or sofa - like a sweater in the dark - for him and step around. After he passed away, the few times when I returned home and my family wasn't home gave me the weird sensation of the house being unfamiliar to me. Missing the presence of that little being - he was part of "home."

Still miss his furry belly, his purrs, and his occasional bad mood swipe at me feet as I walked past him. It takes time to adjust. But I can't complain - 21 years was a good run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or