U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 AM

8,947 posts, read 7,721,438 times

Advertisements

18 year old Siamese cat. 17 year old domestic cat. Both house cats. House cats live longer than cats that go outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 09:17 AM

1,336 posts, read 3,476,310 times
Two poodles - one lived to be 21 and the other's specific age is a mystery. We found her as a stray and she was an adult already. We had her in our lives for at least 20 years.

My cat is currently 17 and going strong.

My sister had a cat that was 23 when he died and it wasn't from old age. He died from getting mauled by a stray dog.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:44 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,325 times
My macaw, THE BEAK. He was old when I traded a diamond ring for him a long time ago. I had him for 27 years. He outlived 2 of my husbands; something I actually find rather amusing since both of them absolutely hated that bird. THE BEAK didn't like the husbands either - so maybe the bird hung in there out of pure spite.

Next: a doberman that was abused, starved and beaten, that I rescued. The vet thought Dobi was apx 3 - 4 yrs old when I got him. Dobi was with me for about 14 - 15 years. We loved each other.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:46 AM

6,438 posts, read 3,450,877 times
My cockatiel is now 18, oldest pet I've ever had.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:43 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
OP here, as sad as it was yesterday, we bith did get some sleep.

I was at tge doctors office today and the nurse wirks with the animal rescue squad as well.

My OH has been specific...a female, black, short hair, perhaps with a white patch IF we replace our little buddy.

As luck woukd have it, the nurse just got a short haired black kitten who was rescued from a perilous truck ride up under the fender well! Thats where it ( she just got it, hasn't looked for sex yet) was found after the people who tirned it in found it meowing under the engine compartment of tgeir truck after a trip to the store.

My OH is unsure, but is willing to consider it. The nurse will call us Friday after sexing the kitten. Then we will have to go look at it, of course. My other half already has a name...Sakura, which is Japanese for "cherry blossom".

Im not sure either. I know i really dont want to go through a loss again. Ive had 7 cats, 2 dogs and an iguana, and fresh, saltwater, goldfish and koi. Ive had to go through the loss of all of them.

It will be another hard decision.

Old 11-21-2018, 12:46 PM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Keep your stories coming, i am enjoying them.

Maybe later when i have more time, ill tell you a littoe about my little buddy.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM

2,060 posts, read 1,303,416 times
The cat I grew up with, Pepper, lived 19 years. The last couple were very lazy, geriatric, slow years, but one day he meowed and meowed and scratched at the door and I let him out (He had been an indoor-outdoor cat in his younger years, but stayed inside for most of his life). We found his body curled up looking peaceful the next morning in a sunny spot in the garden. I think he knew it was his time somehow.

I had a plecostomus (algae sucker fish) that lived 12 years happily in my tank. I got a bit sad on the first page when someone said their goldfish lived 5 years. Their lifespan is near 25 years, just not in a bowl. I have some that are about 8 years old in my tank right now. I hope they last longer!

Old 11-21-2018, 04:50 PM

3,687 posts, read 1,863,297 times
My Cavalier King Charles spaniel. Maddie. She lived to 15 years....still miss her.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:18 PM

4,067 posts, read 1,551,316 times
Newman and Asher (Siamese, in door kitties) both lived to about 9.
Annie (Shih Tzu) lived to about 15 1/2. She crossed Rainbow Bridge in September 2016.
Hoot (toy Poodle) will be 15 next week. He has a lot of health issue, and most likely will not make it to 16.

They all get take a little piece of our heart with them when they go, don't they?

Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 AM

1,815 posts, read 2,241,646 times
My Siamese cat was 21. It’s been 20 years and I still miss her

A friend lost her little yorkie but wrote the best “eulogy” for pets. She had been nursing the little dog through an illness. On what turned out to be the last day, she dressed the dog in her favorite pink sweater. They went for a ride in the car, doggies favorite thing to do. They stopped for ice cream, another doggy favorite. When my friend came back to the car after throwing trash away, the doggy had died.

My friend said, how could you ask for a better last day? You got to wear your favorite sweater, you went for a great ride with the person you loved the most, you had ice cream, then you went to sleep.

You gave your little buddy his best last day by being with him

Now go give that love and care to another poor kitty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or