U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:16 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,336,523 times

Advertisements

We've had several cats live until age 20.
One dog lived to 17.
And I had a pair of newts that lived 25 years in the same glass bowl. My boyfriend gave them to me when I was 16 or so. I married him and those newts followed me to our newlywed apartment and then our home. When one died, the other one didn't last very much longer. I don't think you can even buy newts in NJ any more. At the time I got them, it was legal to buy them in pet shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 05:57 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,623,195 times
OP here,
Although i am male, i DO wear a necklace with a celtic cross, a my named saints medal ( st. Galalaxyhi) and an Egyptian cartouche of my first name on it.

We have decided to get lockets. On one side will be a picture of our little man, and on the other side will be a tuft of his fur, which we are still finding all over ( he was loooong haired) and his fur got everywhere...

Im man enough to wear a locket. Lol.

Wefoubnd a great one on sale at Kay's jewelers that has "In Loving Memory" engraved on the front of it, sterling silver ( i cant wear gold, im allergic to it), and on sale now 70% off.

I will add it to my hefty chain necklace ( i break thin chains, lol) along with the things i listed above.

I have an absolutely precious pic of him. Hes sittung up on my knee, he had just woke up and saw i was eating something. So he came over groggy and was asking for sone of what i had. He usually turned his nose up at people food, but he was always just as sure we had something better to eat than his food. If i knew how to post pics here ( without 3rd party server) id post it. He actually sort of looks angry, but its his just-woke-up groggy look, lol.

He was always a little gentleman and hed sit upright front paws together and ask for things like to be asked up to a lap, or for some of what we may be eating.his urn is in that pose, a cat sitting upright.

He should ( hopefully) be hone again with us by Friday.

My OH has declared to still be in mourning ( as am i until he comes home again), and has declared that no Christmas decorations go up until he returns home to be with us. Bummer as i was going to hang the Christmas wreath on the front door, that's when my OH made said declaration.

His cremation will take a little longer due to tge holiday in there.

20 years is a long time to have a little companion, and i muss him every time I open the kitchen doir coming home and especially when i get into bed, as hed always bounce up and bound up the bed to climb on top of me for his pettums. ( if he wasnt already on the bed).
He always snuggled up close to me to sleep with my body warmth. Thats what i miss the most.

Ill order the locket this afternoon, while its on sale and hopefully the excitement of cyber monday has worn off this Tuesday today, so i can actually get through to order them.

Cant wait to have him home again.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:15 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
OP here,
Although i am male, i DO wear a necklace with a celtic cross, a my named saints medal ( st. Galalaxyhi) and an Egyptian cartouche of my first name on it.

We have decided to get lockets. On one side will be a picture of our little man, and on the other side will be a tuft of his fur, which we are still finding all over ( he was loooong haired) and his fur got everywhere...

Im man enough to wear a locket. Lol.

Wefoubnd a great one on sale at Kay's jewelers that has "In Loving Memory" engraved on the front of it, sterling silver ( i cant wear gold, im allergic to it), and on sale now 70% off.

I will add it to my hefty chain necklace ( i break thin chains, lol) along with the things i listed above.

I have an absolutely precious pic of him. Hes sittung up on my knee, he had just woke up and saw i was eating something. So he came over groggy and was asking for sone of what i had. He usually turned his nose up at people food, but he was always just as sure we had something better to eat than his food. If i knew how to post pics here ( without 3rd party server) id post it. He actually sort of looks angry, but its his just-woke-up groggy look, lol.

He was always a little gentleman and hed sit upright front paws together and ask for things like to be asked up to a lap, or for some of what we may be eating.his urn is in that pose, a cat sitting upright.

My OH has declared to still be in mourning ( as am i until he comes home again), and has declared that no Christmas decorations go up until he returns home to be with us. Bummer as i was going to hang the Christmas wreath on the front door, that's when my OH made said declaration.

20 years is a long time to have a little companion, and i muss him every time I open the kitchen doir coming home and especially when i get into bed, as hed always bounce up and bound up the bed to climb on top of me for his pettums. ( if he wasnt already on the bed).
He always snuggled up close to me to sleep with my body warmth. Thats what i miss the most.

Ill order the locket this afternoon, while its on sale and hopefully the excitement of cyber monday has worn off this Tuesday today, so i can actually get through to order them.

In May of last year I lost my 12 year old, Patches. Suddenly and unexpectedly. April of this year I lost my 20 year old Calico, Dakota. I had them both cremated and their ash boxes are on my dresser. I've thought about getting two more but can't afford it right now. I miss them both.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:52 AM

Well, the vet called and our little man is hone with his cat shaped urn.

I feel half better.he is home now.

The other half is the empty spot on the bed still.

Im about to take a nap and he wont be there....
:>(
Ah well, i can pet the urn and talk to him.

I usually handle death well, but this has really got me

Old 11-27-2018, 12:23 PM

6,436 posts, read 3,364,582 times
Longest lived pet of ours was our favorite cat, Ozzie, who lived a little over 21 years. She was a gorgeous Turkish Angora —white long hair with blue eyes. The amazing thing was she was born deaf, and our vet said most deaf cats don’t live long at all because the deafness is so stressful for them.
But Ozzie was a survivor!
She once saved our other two cats trapped up a pole by a huge vicious neighbor dog by jumping on top of a It and screeching like crazy and scaring the dog to pieces as she rode clinging on its back with her claws dug into his back running out of the yard. We ran outside, but they were long gone. She came back later just fine and the neighbor dog never came near our house again!

She became wildly intelligent and communicative through her odd screechings, and we communicated to her with sign language. Our vet was so attached to her, the whole staff teared up when we had to put her down due to kidney failure. My husband still gets choked up thinking about her. Twenty one years is a looooong time and a lot of memories to share with a cat.

Old 11-28-2018, 02:28 PM

3,697 posts, read 1,877,339 times
My last Cavalier King Charles spaniel lived to 15.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,400,186 times
At one time I had 2 afghans & 1 cocker (at the same time). The cocker lived to be 18 and the beautiful afghans lived to be 16 - unheard of for these dogs. Miss them.

Now I have 2 that if they don't start behaving they may not see 2 years.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:22 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,400,186 times
Quote:
OP here,

I lost my girl (dog) 10/26 - nearly 15. That was the longest wait for the call to come and pick up her ashes.. I really do feel better with her back home - she sits on my desk and we have chats while on the computer (one-sided; cray cray?????)

Old 11-28-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I lost my girl (dog) 10/26 - nearly 15. That was the longest wait for the call to come and pick up her ashes.. I really do feel better with her back home - she sits on my desk and we have chats while on the computer (one-sided; cray cray?????)
NOPE , not cray cray.

I pet the urn and talk to him just as though he were here when i come home, before i go to bed, or whenever i feel like it.

Hs sits on top the electric fireplace tv stand, next to his sister's urn, a laying down cat, while his is sitting up. I pet his urn between the ears , just like i did before bed.

Hes home and my "separation anxiety " is gone.

I feel much better.

We can keep this thread going, but unless i report back to say we got tye lockets, ill just read along and enjoy your stories.

And hopefully the nurse will come through with the male black rescue kitten we are wanting.

Ill let you know that, too.

Tomorrow its off to the shelter to LQQK.

We'll see what happens next....

Old 11-29-2018, 01:26 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,696,398 times
Quote:
NOPE , not cray cray.

I pet the urn and talk to him just as though he were here when i come home, before i go to bed, or whenever i feel like it.

Hs sits on top the electric fireplace tv stand, next to his sister's urn, a laying down cat, while his is sitting up. I pet his urn between the ears , just like i did before bed.

Hes home and my "separation anxiety " is gone.

I feel much better.

We can keep this thread going, but unless i report back to say we got tye lockets, ill just read along and enjoy your stories.

And hopefully the nurse will come through with the male black rescue kitten we are wanting.

Ill let you know that, too.

Tomorrow its off to the shelter to LQQK.

We'll see what happens next....

I get what you mean about "separation anxiety" waiting for your pet's ashes to get back to you. I went through that too. Thought it was 'odd' but I was happy to finally get them back home with me.

Dakota has been gone 8 months now, and I've thought many times about new cats, but can't bring myself to do it just yet. I will, eventually, and it'll likely be two who need to be kept together and older. I'd love to have kittens again but they can be a handful! Need to preserve what's left of my furniture! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or