Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I'm not sure " finding happiness" and "finding true love" are the same thing.
Generally speaking, love is about the past and happiness is about the present. If my wife and I split, I will still always love her and I think she will always love me but we will likely split because we aren't happy. Love is from our history together; happiness that we shared in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 08:29 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I know some people who are happy being miserable. I know some people who are happy hearing from and about people who love being miserable.

Takes all kinds.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I thought about this thread when I read this tabloid.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/77919...ton-love-life/

Lewis Hamilton, Formula One race driver, despite his millions and chiseled good looks, he can’t find happiness.

Old 11-24-2018, 11:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I know some people who are happy being miserable. I know some people who are happy hearing from and about people who love being miserable.

Takes all kinds.
I remember many years ago I met some divorced ladies - downstairs neighbors in my apartment complex.

I was single and would sit and listen to them talk. All had bad or they perceived bad divorces.

One even said that you were not a real woman unless you had "suffered"! I said - no thanks.

That is why I don't understand how my one friend is just dragging on this breakup. Over five years in the making. Back and forth. Gee - they are almost 60 years old!

Old 11-24-2018, 11:59 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I remember many years ago I met some divorced ladies - downstairs neighbors in my apartment complex.

I was single and would sit and listen to them talk. All had bad or they perceived bad divorces.

One even said that you were not a real woman unless you had "suffered"! I said - no thanks.

That is why I don't understand how my one friend is just dragging on this breakup. Over five years in the making. Back and forth. Gee - they are almost 60 years old!

I think in some cases they stay together out of fear of being alone, not having anyone, etc.

I get the part about being lonely and wishing you had someone in your life but not to the point the rest of your life is ruined. But it seems there a lot of people who choose to stay in miserable situations.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:51 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
There's a scene from the 1983 movie "Tender Mercies" that somewhat echoes what you're saying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REs5htonJ8E

I myself pretty much gave up on relationships as a young man over thirty-five years ago, maybe that's why Duvall's scene stuck with me at the time. I learned some hard lessons about how not to act when you supposedly love someone, with no subsequent opportunity to apply the lessons; life can be ironic that way.
That movie has always been one of my most favorite and moving ever. One of the few that (I think) actually showed how a relationship works.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:05 PM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Takes all kinds.
I think I know more people who are vocal in being miserable them people who are truly happy.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:42 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
Not surprising. Look at all the crabby posts here; they outnumber humorous ones 3000:1

Oops; did I say that out loud???

Old 11-25-2018, 10:37 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Exactly, you need to take Zantac or whatever the name of the drug is after reading some of these posts. It’s best to put some on ignore list for your own mental health.

Old 11-25-2018, 01:28 PM

703 posts, read 612,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Exactly, you need to take Zantac or whatever the name of the drug is after reading some of these posts. It’s best to put some on ignore list for your own mental health.
Zantac? Is that the anti-depression drug or the one for upset stomach...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement