U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 06:15 PM

1,169 posts, read 971,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This series is great!

And, yes, it's about two older male friends, so prostate issues are important to the scrip. Danny Devito as the urologist was hilarious!!!!

Danny Devito was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:40 PM

9,377 posts, read 6,257,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Danny Devito was great!
I'm just glad he isn't my doc.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM

15,774 posts, read 15,008,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Arkin is a master! I'm so happy to see him in this very important role. Seeing Michael Douglas as an old man kind of hurts
Seeing either one of them! Alan Arkin was 33 when he did "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn, and some of us tend to think of Douglas as not much older than he was in his roles in "Wall Street" or "Romancing the Stone." It IS kind of a shock.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:04 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Seeing either one of them! Alan Arkin was 33 when he did "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn, and some of us tend to think of Douglas as not much older than he was in his roles in "Wall Street" or "Romancing the Stone." It IS kind of a shock.
With some hair dye and a good shave, Michael Douglas could still pull off a late middle age role. He has some good genes; Kirk is still around at 101. Kirk is in kind of rough shape - wheel chair bound and has trouble speaking. But what he says does sound like his thinking is still reasonably clear.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:51 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,079,067 times
I enjoyed the first few episodes more than the last ones. It kinda dragged for me toward the end. Maybe because I watched the whole thing together. And Michael Douglas, my goodness. He is getting a little old isn't he. Maybe it was makeup. LOL

Old 11-25-2018, 11:12 AM

8,965 posts, read 7,737,941 times
Watched the first 3 episodes. Hysterical but also a somber look at aging. I love it.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:03 PM

563 posts, read 266,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Possible TMI about the bathroom issues...
Spoiler
I went through pretty much the whole series of steps. It does make you think a lot about aging and mortality. Waiting for a biopsy report didn't just make me a little anxious; i was terrified. The TMI is that while they did spend a fair amount of time on it, that was actually the condensed version. There were accidents at times in situations where it is incredibly embarrassing. There were times when having to say "no, I mean right now" was almost as embarrassing as the accidents, especially in a professional setting. The bleeding is not particularly humorous. Carrying spare pants and underwear is a pain and also embarrassing. One of the worst parts is wondering if the rest of your life is going to be like this. The drugs are not 100% effective.
My husband had prostrate cancer. His forever lasting side effect is when he has to go, HE HAS TO GO. He can't hold it, so much so that he got out jury duty because of it. He's had very few accidents but it did happen in the beginning. We do keep a spare of jeans and underwear in the back of the SUV.

* I hope I don't get in trouble for getting off topic.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:25 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,762,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am about a half generation behind Michael Douglas, but it is still spooky to see him and others playing parts that are based on their advanced age.
I was barely out of high school when I was watching Michael Douglas on The Streets of San Francisco (which, by the way, was based on a really good book). If you can ever catch a few of those shows, kid you not, he looks like he's about 16. What does that say about me? Wait - don't answer that.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Well, I wish Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin many more active years so they can continue doing this show. There's so much potential material to work with.

I'd watch either one reading the Manhattan phone book aloud. And maybe Harrison Ford, if he'll do that lopsided grin.

Who's on your "Manhattan phone book" list?

Old 12-03-2018, 01:22 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,762,134 times
It's funny you should mention that. There are a few actors who have actually done full length audio books. The only one I can think of offhand is Keith Szarabajka (starred in the old Equalizer series). He's done an audio book of Rising Sun by Michael Crichton. I know there's others. Maybe your favorite actor has actually done something like this and you can buy the book and let yourself get lulled to sleep.

I'd have to think about who I'd want to read me to sleep at night, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or