U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:17 AM

72,291 posts, read 72,222,083 times

Advertisements

and many pay the price for that lack of interest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:24 AM

2,453 posts, read 2,086,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
and many pay the price for that lack of interest
Even more pay a stiffer price that don't save for retirement. There are a lot more out there than one would think.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:29 AM

427 posts, read 191,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardii622 View Post
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this kind of help but I am trying to complete my retirement fund paperwork for my job and I have no idea what to invest in. I am 30 years old. I want to take out 4% of my paycheck but I do not know which account to put it in. I was told the 4% goes in an interest account and out of that I can put percentages into separate account investment funds such as; equity funds, asset allocation funds, fixed income funds, real estate fund, retirement funds and balanced funds. Please I need help I do not know we’re to start! I was told that I should do a retirement fund for 2050 and I also saw something online saying I should do a small cap equity index fund? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
It is the right forum.
Your problem is a simple one. Put 100% into index fund, and forget about it for the next 10 years.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:30 AM

72,291 posts, read 72,222,083 times
easy to do , but for most hard to impossible to execute . their investor behavior is the biggest factor not what they invest in . they need the pucker factor to stay the course or it is a bad decision .

Old 12-05-2018, 06:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 794,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
It is the right forum.
Your problem is a simple one. Put 100% into index fund, and forget about it for the next 10 years.
That's what I did, only in my case, it was the next 20 years.

I don't think this strategy requires a high tolerance for risk. I actually try to avoid risk-taking behavior. What it does require is faith in the long-term rise of the stock market. I have that faith.

I'll admit that the lost decade (2000-2009) was very good to me, as I was maxing out my deferred compensation and Roth IRA contributions. However, how many people were selling low during that time, not because they needed the money for retirement, but because they lacked faith?

How much faith do you need? I like to say you need the kind of faith where if you saw Jesus on the cross and he invited you to Arby's after church on Sunday, you would show up and expect to see Him there.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM

1,333 posts, read 2,709,077 times
I might be missing something here, but isn't this a 401K situation, where he wouldn't really have control over the fees, other than choosing the funds etc, there isn't much control.

I'm seeing a lot of discussion about broker fees and choosing the right ones etc. Great information, but for the OP, I don't think he is there yet.

The best advise I ever got, was to make sure you put in enough % to get the company match (assuming there is one) and then add a little bit more. In some cases that little bit adds up to a couple lunches a week, that expensive coffee on the way to work etc. You will be glad you did this now vs later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement