U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 09:48 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,414,613 times

Advertisements

Not a fan. Too political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 PM

7,233 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not a fan. Too political.
Too political and their views are totally opposite of mine. At least they finally stopped bombarding me with solicitations.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:12 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
I recently had a HORRIBLE experience with AARP/The Hartford renters insurance. They tried to deny almost everything, then lowball everything else. And, then they tried to tell me that my full replacement policy meant that they would only pay me the depreciated amount for everything, and if I wanted actual full replacement amounts, I would have to buy new things out of pocket, but only within a budget that they would approve, and I'd have to be assigned to a different person who I could submit all of my receipts to, who would then decide whether or not to approve each item I just had to buy out of pocket to replace all of my things. I mean, really. Who on earth who has a renters insurance policy has enough cash on hand to buy new items before getting reimburse by their insurance company? They were selling a more expensive policy that they were calling a full replacement policy - but then actually only treating it like an actual value policy when there was a claim (which only pay a depreciated amount). Total scam and totally illegal.

So, uh, no. That's not what they promised me on their website and all of their advertising, etc., etc., and the policy wasn't even clear on all of the above. So, when I tried to negotiate with them to get what they should give me, and they wouldn't deal with me fairly - I filed a small claims court lawsuit. And, I subpoenaed all of the recordings of my conversations with their phone reps who assured me everything was covered, blah blah. I told them I thought a judge would see things my way, as far as what they had promised, etc.

Well, 2 days before our court date, they sent me a check that was basically what I told them I wanted in my lawsuit.

AARP fooled me by saying they had vetted insurance companies to find me the best one, so I could just trust their decision without doing my own research. Well, after my problems, I checked the insurance commissioner website for CA and discovered that The Hartford is 48th out of the 50 as far as the worst insurance companies to deal with. In other words, AARP had 47 better choices.

It turns out the CA insurance commissioner website gives a very high rating for Farmers Insurance, so I switched to Farmers, and it's also much cheaper.

AARP is a ripoff. They are an advertising/marketing machine. That's it.

You can find better deals with better ratings and customer service elsewhere. Why pay them dues to rip you off?

Old 11-22-2018, 05:33 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,533,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I looked into AARP a number of times. However, for us, the AAA discounts, the military discounts, the senior citizens discounts all were the same or better than AARP.

I like staying a member of AAA because I get those tour books and other things beside roadside service.

Sending best wishes for much use and enjoyment with your AARP membership.
Like you, I looked into AARP. I didn't see anything there that I didn't already get through different avenues.

And based on the amount of junk mail we receive from AARP, and assuming we're not the only ones receiving all this mail, I've got to think that a fair percentage of their expenditures goes to this kind of advertising, and not to benefits for their members.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:56 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times
AARP is a business and it exists to make money. They are not there helping seniors out of the goodness of their hearts. They make millions selling insurance which is their primary goal. All that other stuff they have in their magazine is just fluff to hook you in.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:48 AM

364 posts, read 125,596 times
I also dumped my AARP membership. First, it was too political and too liberal. Second, it glorified Hollywood celebs exclusively, never presented someone conservative. Third, it seemed to expound ageist viewpoints. Like, always telling us to act young, look young, try to get along with Milennials, keep up with technology, blah blah blah. I don't really feel the magazines support the viewpoints of the average lower-class retiree. Maybe the higher income ones or the liberal ones but not the rest of us.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
AARP will apso save you up to 15% at restaurants, and sometimes freebies at restaurants too.

For example: Denny's...you get 15 % off your check, and even on the 55+ plus menu.

Outback is 10% off your bill with your card.

Ask any restaurant about AARP discounts with your card.
Some restaurants just have a senior discount for thise as low as 55, up to required to be age 70 to participate instead. Be sure to ask. Often if you ask fir tte AARP discount they will point you to tge 55+ ( or whatever age) menu even if you arent yet 55, or 60, or 62 or ehatever age is minimum.

Ive worked hotels. They often Jack up the rate then give you tye AARP discount, you CAN end up paying more than their best available rate!!! So get your rate and when you stop to pay your bill on tge way out THEN ask what the AARP discount is.

We both have AARP, and we do get our moneys worth in discounts with the card. It costs us $16 for a one year membership.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:28 AM

2,744 posts, read 987,380 times
It has its benefits for a low cost

Old 11-22-2018, 09:10 AM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
I get a better discount at hotels with my employer badge (gov't/state). I don't eat out much so restaurant discounts are of no interest to either. I've been a member of AAA for 27 years - it's been well worth the cost.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 AM

12,289 posts, read 15,181,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I also dumped my AARP membership. First, it was too political and too liberal. Second, it glorified Hollywood celebs exclusively, never presented someone conservative. Third, it seemed to expound ageist viewpoints. Like, always telling us to act young, look young, try to get along with Milennials, keep up with technology, blah blah blah. I don't really feel the magazines support the viewpoints of the average lower-class retiree. Maybe the higher income ones or the liberal ones but not the rest of us.
True, that is one thing I don't like. Celebrities should be vilified, not glorified. But I like the rest of the magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or