U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:19 AM

31,739 posts, read 20,026,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Be careful with that. I did that too with my State Farm policy and learned after the fact that State Farm considers using that aspect of the policy to call for a tow truck or other roadside assistance to be the same as a claim as if you were involved in a car accident. A claim is a claim is a claim....

After we used them a couple of times one year for tows after flat tires, I received a nasty little "friendly" letter in the mail informing me that we had made "a lot" of claims recently and warning me that if we kept it up, we'd be in danger of having our policy cancelled. Now, admittedly, this was also after my wife had been involved in a car accident about 18 months earlier that was our first "real" claim against the policy in about 30 years. So instead of considering us as having 1 claim in 30 years, they looked at it as us having 3 claims in a little over one year.
Wow. That's good to know - thanks for sharing!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM

31,739 posts, read 20,026,274 times
I looked at AARP but didn't see anything we were interested in, or couldn't get elsewhere.

Plus, they already send me so much junk, I wouldn't do anything to encourage that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 AM

5,270 posts, read 3,032,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
AARP will apso save you up to 15% at restaurants, and sometimes freebies at restaurants too.

For example: Denny's...you get 15 % off your check, and even on the 55+ plus menu.

Outback is 10% off your bill with your card.

Ask any restaurant about AARP discounts with your card.
Some restaurants just have a senior discount for thise as low as 55, up to required to be age 70 to participate instead. Be sure to ask. Often if you ask fir tte AARP discount they will point you to tge 55+ ( or whatever age) menu even if you arent yet 55, or 60, or 62 or ehatever age is minimum.

Ive worked hotels. They often Jack up the rate then give you tye AARP discount, you CAN end up paying more than their best available rate!!! So get your rate and when you stop to pay your bill on tge way out THEN ask what the AARP discount is.

We both have AARP, and we do get our moneys worth in discounts with the card. It costs us $16 for a one year membership.

I can get many of those with my veterans card.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:44 AM

7,265 posts, read 8,665,734 times
AARP has nothing I need that I don't already get in other ways. I don't need their magazine and the discounts offered can be gotten through AAA or other affiliations. So... pass.

Old 11-22-2018, 04:57 PM

3,588 posts, read 1,399,728 times
1. we like the magazine, or any magazine, to read in the Throne Room.
2. we do not like AARP's politics. not a member. they send the mag anyway.
3. what additional benefits they offer are not enough for us.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:02 PM

605 posts, read 189,703 times
Do not like AARp politics so cannot get on board, even if it is free

Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 PM

8,409 posts, read 9,160,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Do not like AARp politics so cannot get on board, even if it is free
Yeah, it sucks that they oppose cuts to Social Security and Medicare

Old 11-22-2018, 06:46 PM

605 posts, read 189,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yeah, it sucks that they oppose cuts to Social Security and Medicare
I said nothing of the sort

Old 11-22-2018, 09:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 939,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have just joined AARP taking advantage of their Black Friday offer of $20 for 2 years.

AARP offers many membership benefits but the main ones I am interested in are travel discounts. I may consider AARP insurance offers later on.

I am likely to use AARP hotel discount since we are no longer AAA members. I found out few months ago that it only costs us few dollars a year to add road service to our Safeco car insurance so we decided not to renew our AAA memberships after being with them for over 30 years!
AARP does offer discounts on some things,however I cannot support them as a matter of conscience because of some of the causes they support. To each his own.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:20 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,624,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I can get many of those with my veterans card.
Yeah, well the military wont/didnt/wouldnt take all of us.

I passed the entrance exams/placement tests with flying colors for the Air Force. No pun intended.

Then we sat down with the paperwork. One question he asked was "you dont take any meds do you"?

I said " yes i have an inhaler for asthma" (not that bad).
The recruiter said " thats it, we are done".

That was the extent of my military career.

Not everyone was or rather is a vet.
Not everyone can be a vet.

For the rest of us theres AARP.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or