U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 AM

8,388 posts, read 9,134,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Do not like AARp politics so cannot get on board, even if it is free
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yeah, it sucks that they oppose cuts to Social Security and Medicare
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
I said nothing of the sort
Then what politics of AARP do you object to ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 AM

687 posts, read 157,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus, they already send me so much junk, I wouldn't do anything to encourage that.
Wow, that is so true, I canít believe the amount of junk mail I get from AARP EVERY SINGLE WEEK, yes I am shouting!

And what is up with sending it to me at age 50? That isnít old! Thatís a baby!

Old 11-23-2018, 05:31 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,606,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Wow, that is so true, I canít believe the amount of junk mail I get from AARP EVERY SINGLE WEEK, yes I am shouting!

And what is up with sending it to me at age 50? That isnít old! Thatís a baby!
50 is the beginning age for AARP membership.

I/we get FAR LESS mail from them by BEING a member than before we joined.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:58 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
Well I like AARP politics, but then I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:35 AM

5,020 posts, read 3,209,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have just joined AARP taking advantage of their Black Friday offer of $20 for 2 years.

AARP offers many membership benefits but the main ones I am interested in are travel discounts. I may consider AARP insurance offers later on.

I am likely to use AARP hotel discount since we are no longer AAA members. I found out few months ago that it only costs us few dollars a year to add road service to our Safeco car insurance so we decided not to renew our AAA memberships after being with them for over 30 years!
I had discussed this with State Farm for dead battery calls also. They'll cancel it after 4 uses in a 12 month period. They don't WANT to pay for your using the service. AAA does as that's what they are for. The car insurance is BS for adding something they'd remove at their discretion, not yours.

As for the barf group (AARP) they took monthly dues from my mother promising to help the "Notch" babies with SS payments. She died believing that BS. No barf group for me.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:14 AM

6,565 posts, read 8,094,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not a fan. Too political.
Agree. they refused to listen to a majority of retirees a few years ago, they offer me nothing I can not get elsewhere and do so. I keep AAA. I carry a portable charger and compressor for tires but use AAA sometimes when my charger is not charged up or for convenience depending upon how I am energy wise. One of my biggest routine worries as my spouse and I age is changing a flat tire. I keep AAA for that eventuality which has not happened yet but it keeps me from worrying about what would we do if.

I worried about this tire flat changing earlier than when I retired but drove fairly new luxury cars which had a road rescue service included during the warranty period I believe. Now I have two of the flawless luxury cars we have down but keep them much much longer due to low mileage we drive now each year. They will last me another 10 years perhaps now, which has all kinds of financial benefits

Old 11-23-2018, 08:50 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Comments on AARP:

1) I do not like the politics and do not read all of the e-mails and mail from them.
2) I have never actually paid for membership as my DW uses her Walgreen's points.
3) I have received SUBSTANTIAL discounts from the membership including:

60% discount on my eyeglasses from Visionworks saving $200 from the lowest price from other places.
Free meals at Denny's
Discounts from Budget RAC in Canada that was about C$150 less than other places.
Discounts from Wyndham that were $10 cheaper night than the Wyndham's "best rates" or the AAA rate.

I am not going to give up the discounts.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 2,272,799 times
AARP? just another dishonest lobbying group convincing people they have their best interests at heart. I wouldn't give them a dime.

Old 11-23-2018, 09:46 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Comments on AARP:
3) I have received SUBSTANTIAL discounts from the membership including:

60% discount on my eyeglasses from Visionworks saving $200 from the lowest price from other places.
Free meals at Denny's
Discounts from Budget RAC in Canada that was about C$150 less than other places.
Discounts from Wyndham that were $10 cheaper night than the Wyndham's "best rates" or the AAA rate.

I am not going to give up the discounts.
Here is a moneytalksnews article on whether aarp worth the cost

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/aarp-worth-the-cost/

To me, $10/year for 2 persons is dirt cheap.

It's interesting to learn that people younger than 55 can join the AARP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerma.../#66341d6e70f5

Regarding MMoB's post about towing being counted as a claim with car insurance company, I did a search on the subject. Below are what I found

https://sayinsurance.com/blog/does-g...urance-premium

https://www.collinginsurance.com/blo...our-insurance/

Summary:

1. A tow is counted as a claim
2. Getting A Few Tows Is Not A Problem
3. Too Many Tows (5 or 6) Can Affect Your Insurance
4. Illegal Actions Are The Biggest Problem Here

In all my driving life, I have used road side service only 4 times (got locked out of a car once, ran out of fuel once, and dead battery twice). So I am not going to worry that our switch from AAA to car insurance travel service may affect our insurance rate.

When we were with AAA (for over 40 years), we did use their travel services (ordering TripTiks, maps and tour books). Now with the internet and GPS at our fingertips, we hardly use these items. I probably would have stayed with AAA if their premium is at least half of their current rate. I don't remember exactly how much we paid to AAA last year but it was probably ~ $100 for our basic membership (7 miles towing).

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/aaa-worth-the-cost/

Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 AM

129 posts, read 59,347 times
Older people are increasingly invisible and marginalized. And unless they have a younger person to advocate for them (in my mother's case, that would be me) can be adrift in the modern world of Medicare insurances, computerized medical records, ways of getting along at home as one ages, solving care issues when one no longer drives, the elderly as targets for fraud and identity theft, and staying ahead of inflation. AARP helps keep awareness on the issues facing this massive and growing segment of the population. I can't think of any other group that is focused on older people. If they must help finance themselves through marketing, who cares? Make a phone call and opt out of that part.

In a few years, I will be of Medicare age. Having my mother as a template has educated me in everything I will be facing as I age. I want any and all tips and tricks that I can get. A free breakfast at Denny's would be a bonus.

Soon I expect we'll be hearing more about a chained CPI for social security. (They may have already implemented it for a future year; I haven't kept up). I would bet that AARP will be a voice against this as it will be a grave disservice to their members. The chained CPI kind of boils down to: If beef is too expensive, you'll substitute chicken; if chicken is too expensive you'll substitute cat food; hence there is no inflation and social security checks will barely budge each year.

If AARP lobbies on behalf of older people, they get my $10/yr membership.

I keep AAA also because it is a bundle of useful services (tows, maps, passport photos, car registration, etc) that makes life easier at a reasonable price.

Last edited by wildflowers27; 11-23-2018 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: to add info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or