U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:33 AM

2,454 posts, read 931,170 times

Advertisements

I really don't want a tree or to decorate anymore but my wife still does. So I, against my will, climb the ladder and hang up whatever she tells me too and we find a cut your own tree farm and bring home a tree to decorate. But if it was up to me, I wouldn't. Happy wife, happy life lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 09:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 654,987 times
I miss what we used to do. We used to put the icicle lights all across the front of the house. But all that ladder work is a bit much for us now. I put little white lights along the bushes across the front. And the pinecone wreath on the door.

Inside is the 4' tabletop tree, the nativity set, a couple Christmas stockings on the mantle. The Christmas tablecloth, the green snowman afghan on the couch, a couple Christmas hand towels and pot holders. A little centerpiece on the table.

The big village I used to assemble on the plant shelf with hills and snow and all the accessories - since that was up and down the ladder, that stuff all went to charity.

I miss all the pretty stuff we used to do. Mostly I miss the energy I used to have to do it all.Now I'm annoyed that I never could get hubby to join in. He likes me to do it and encourages me to keep the tree up as long as possible as the lights brighten the dark days of winter...but he never actually does any of it. For 25 years I've done it all, except some of the icicle lights when we used to do those. If I had it to do over again, I'd make sure whoever I married was enthusiastic about holidays, at least more than sitting down to eat the prepared meal!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:04 PM

39,592 posts, read 47,862,313 times
Since it's only the 2 of us the spouse likes to put up a decorated small 4' artificial table top tree and some xmas trinkets around the dining table area.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 669,613 times
Yes, we put up a 7' tree although now it is a nice artificial one. I always swore I would never do that but the live trees are so heavy to drag in plus the fragrance seems diminished (cut too early?). Mailbox and sometimes lampposts decorated, too.

I enjoy getting out the ornaments, especially the past creations of the "kids" and other ornaments gifted to us from family over the years. We also collect ornaments wherever we travel.

There will be wreaths on each front window and doors plus candles in the windows. So much easier now with LED bulbs and batteries instead of extension cords.

I wait until the beginning of December, though, as I am just not ready to decorate in November.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,787,258 times
Reading this make me want some heavily spiked Egg Nog

Old 11-27-2018, 02:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 669,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Reading this make me want some heavily spiked Egg Nog
Dislike egg nog but we do keep the Irish coffee flowing!

Old 11-28-2018, 06:46 PM

13,378 posts, read 6,397,928 times
Just drove around our neighborhood to see one street with beautiful Xmas decorations, that makes me think, I too need to step up with more decorations and not less. It’s lifted my spirit up in a dark cold day, almost rain here. I have to think of it as cheap therapy. So we will be buying more decorations, especially more lights in the next few days.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:36 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,599,667 times
I just can't imagine anything more pathetic than me alone in my apartment with a sad little Christmas tree blinking away in the corner.

It would be like putting up "Happy Birthday" festooning & signs for myself.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:52 PM

2,226 posts, read 942,516 times
We still decorate the inside of the house, but have stopped putting lights outside. Just decorated two Christmas trees tonight in fact. At least one more to go!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:50 AM

5,254 posts, read 3,655,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
We downsized and donated our a 6 ft. artificial tree and the boxes of ornaments/decorations. Now we just have a 15 inch Pre-Lit Hand-Painted Ceramic Tabletop tree and I did keep my wreath to put on our front door and that's all we do now. I generally put out out little tree and wreath on Thanksgiving day.

Do you do decorate a lot or do you do less now?
Hang a wreath on the front door and that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or