U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 3,047,994 times

Advertisements

I haven't put up a live tree myself though grew up with them. I appreciate the tradition, the idea, the scent, memories of going out with my Dad to pick one as a kid, but always struggle with killing a living tree just for a few weeks' pleasure. Seeing all the discarded dead trees on the curb or the rejects left on the tree lots after the holiday really gutted me. Fakes haven't gotten to the point I particularly like them either. Sometimes I'll put lights on a live tree in the yard if I can see it from windows. I am lucky enough to live where there are lots of snow-decorated native conifers to enjoy instead.

As for decorating, maybe one string of lights in a view window. I've usually had pet birds who can't be trusted around decorations so don't put many out. Haven't collected or bought many, just keep a few sentimental favorites. I have a 125+ year old Regina crank-wind music box with quite a few carol tune disks that gets a lot of use. Just a beautiful ringing old voice everyone loves to hear. In most places I've lived that music box has become an expected "guest" at local holiday events. Because each tune only lasts about 1 minute and the old mechanism is a bit persnickety, it demands attention. I can sit quietly being a DJ instead of keeping up with all the social banter which suits me. If I don't volunteer to bring it people ask where it is. Unfortunately the thing weighs about 70 lbs and the disk collection another 50! The Victorians built stuff to last forever...in other words HEAVY!

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-22-2018 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 PM

6,743 posts, read 3,745,344 times
Nothing outside, usually. Nobody would see it.
I do a small tree and put out a few wreaths and seasonal decorations. If I'm having guests from out of town I might do a little more. My wife collected Santa's so I put a few out.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 5,134,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I never won any prizes but I used to always have a nice tree and decorate for Christmas, the day after Thanksgiving. And THEN one year I had a kitten that could destruct an entire house if not restrained and I decided I was NOT going to fight her every day over a tree! So I didn't do it that year and it really felt kind of nice. Just skipping all the set up and then the clean up was nice. It's been years now since I did a tree or anything and I don't miss it. Every year I say I really should just donate all that 'stuff' but I never do so it sits in the garage gathering dust.
I used to have a closet full of just Christmas decorations

One year I just put them all out on the curb. They were picked up in five minutes!

We still have lots of stuff up in the attic

Old 11-23-2018, 12:08 AM

1,137 posts, read 575,311 times
Yes, every year. We just love the season, though we don't do shopping for gifts more than $20 each per year. I have always enjoyed the lights, and snow.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:40 AM

4,483 posts, read 2,655,078 times
We have a choice. A 6.5' tree, 4' tree, a 3' revolving tree, or a 2' tree.

Probably the 3' revolving tree will go up this year, as it did last year. On a table top near the liveseat.

There really is no room in our living room for the 6.5' tree, even though is a narrow tree.

Usually, while the turkey is cooking, we put up the tree. But the past few years we have had Thanksgiving with family and friends. But i do cook a small Turkey for us, so this weekend itll likely go up.

The wreath on the door changes from spring/sumner flowers to winter evergreens.

The tree stays up until jan 8. Mostly because we enjoy it.

I would put up outside lights but it seems every year either health or weather happens before i get them up. This year both a very bad knee preventing ladder climbing and a 14" nor'Easter happened.

Hmm i have very BIG Christmas light bulbs, maybe ill just hang from the porch.

Old 11-23-2018, 12:44 AM

1,245 posts, read 374,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq38 View Post
I don't want to decorate anymore, but my husband still likes to. Ditto for our adult kids. I told them, "Bah, humbug!"
Yes, my husband likes having a tree. I wouldn't bother. I would put out a couple table top evergreen and Holly type arrangements and call it good.

Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,340,138 times
My family didn't decorate for Christmas when I was growing up and I still don't. No tree, no lights, no nothing. I have nothing against Christmas at all, it's just some old habits never die.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:05 AM

16,438 posts, read 10,416,185 times
Actually more now than when I worked.

Outside, only a wreath on the fence by the drive.
In the windows, 2 angels, and 2 burlap trees. Not sure if they're visible but I know they're there.
Inside, mostly for me, my many sets of tiny Nativities. Tallest is about 3 inches, most only an inch or so.

makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:10 AM

16,466 posts, read 5,392,281 times
I love the scent of a fresh Christmas tree, so I usually get a small one (3 or 4 feet) which goes on top of a table in front of the living room window. From outside, it looks like a full-sized tree. I cover the table with a round red and green plaid tablecloth that serves as tree skirt. Presents go on the table or underneath the table.

The tree is decorated it with small antique ornaments that belonged to Mr. Bay's grandparents, supplemented with some modern ornaments that are the same size. The bigger ornaments are boxed up gathering dust in the garage, along with much of the other tchochkes that I don't bother with any more.

As to feeling guilty for cutting down a live tree, I don't think that is necessary. Tree farms exist specifically for this purpose; it's not like they're raping the forests. Our refuse company takes discarded trees and responsibly recycles them, so they don't go to waste.

Old 11-23-2018, 02:11 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,686,594 times
We still do the tree, and it stays up until we get tired of seeing it; some years that has been the end of February!

A string or two of outdoor lights get tossed on the bushes, and a wreath on the door. Nutcrackers on the mantel. Then, we're done!

Twenty years ago we had ceramic villages, snowmen statues, garlands for the stairs, etc. It was christmas overload for a few years there! Gave all that away when we moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or