U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 02:15 AM

17,447 posts, read 21,283,365 times

Advertisements

Living in a mobile home (920SF) I just don't have the space for a tree, but I just went wild this late afternoon putting up 10 long strings of lights outside, and tomorrow I'll put up 2 strings of lights on the other side of my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 03:24 AM

5,974 posts, read 5,324,230 times
Got rid of everything last month. This will be the first year without a tree.

Old 11-23-2018, 04:34 AM

117 posts, read 48,280 times
Short answer: Much less as I age.

Long answer: Christmas has joined every other event which is relentlessly promoted, advertised, hailed, marketed and forcefully shoved into my face in a full-on barrage by advertisers. It has joined Valentine's, the Super Bowl, the World Series and NASCAR in reaching the point I've withdrawn from it for my own peace of mind.

What were once tasteful family assembled displays have in my neighborhood, gone to professionally planned and installed extravaganzas featuring everything from giant inflatable figures* to actual running electric trains and even neon displays. It's as though they're all trying show they care enough to spend the very most.

And I'm sick of it. So, just a tree in the back den for us, not even visible from the street. Nothing else. My house looks just like it does the rest of the year.

*Neighbor has 6 of them in his yard at last count. Some two stories high. All the inflation fans make a roar I can hear at night.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 AM

5,811 posts, read 4,859,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm not religious, but I like the light it gives off. Mine will probably go up next week. If I had my way, it would be a "winter tree" that keeps the lights on until the time changes back again.
Why don't you have your way? It's your house. If you want a tree up for 6 months, do it. If it makes you happy, who cares what others think.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 AM

5,811 posts, read 4,859,778 times
We usually decorate and have a tree. This year we're going to be away for a few nights on the actual holiday, so we won't put up the tree, but will still do some of the other table arrangements and the wreath on the door. I won't do outdoor lights this year either I think. When we do the outdoor lights, it's usually just a string around the door way and mesh blankets of lights on the four or five ball shaped shrubs near the doorway. Our neighborhood doesn't really do much decorations.

I used to love to put up the lights all along the eaves of the house. In my old neighborhood they had one night about a week before Christmas, when everyone would do luminarias along the sidewalk and up the driveways. The whole town got together and did a kooky lighted vehicle parade with Santa on a horse-drawn wagon full of carolers as the finale of the parade. They would decorate just about any vehicle with lights, everything from VW bugs to fire trucks and even a houseboat on a trailer, all covered with Christmas lights. The parade would wind through every major street in the neighborhood so everyone would put out lawn chairs and serve hot cocoa while we waited for the parade to come to our street. And we'd tour the neighborhood to look at everyone's lights. One year we got some battery operated Christmas lights and decorated our motorcycles and ourselves and drove in the parade for the fun of it. I miss that.

We moved away from there to an area where the properties were large and the homes weren't even visible from the street, so no more lights except around the doorway after that.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:40 AM

37,164 posts, read 45,724,245 times
Last year we skipped the tree and most of the decorations. It made me a bit sad, so this year Iíll start today, and go little by little. There is still a discussion about whether to get a real tree or use a small fake one.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:47 AM

19,905 posts, read 18,914,045 times
Back in the day I always had a real tree and I would place pretty candles, evergreen boughs, garlands--you name it--all over the house. I would even cut some greenery and make a wreath.

Now it's just a small fake tabletop tree with lights, an little old wooden sleigh with a colorful Santa, and probably a pretty glass bowl filled with shining Christmas tree ornaments.

One thing, it's a whole lot easier to clean up after Christmas is over!

Old 11-23-2018, 07:08 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,124,289 times
We have not put up anything christmas related since moving to North Texas from Houston 8 years ago.

We are religious but think practicality has to dominate as we age. Christmas is not about a tree or shopping so those are not things we need or worth using our dwindling energy reserves.

We continue to make more adjustments to simplify life but did not downsize, we are in a larger home than during our working years. We are home bodies and enjoy this newer place but have adjusted in going out, travel, doing work around the house etc.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 11-23-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 07:29 AM

37,164 posts, read 45,724,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Back in the day I always had a real tree and I would place pretty candles, evergreen boughs, garlands--you name it--all over the house. I would even cut some greenery and make a wreath.

Now it's just a small fake tabletop tree with lights, an little old wooden sleigh with a colorful Santa, and probably a pretty glass bowl filled with shining Christmas tree ornaments.

One thing, it's a whole lot easier to clean up after Christmas is over!
When I had evergreens and holly in my yard, I used it all over the house. Here in the south, there is holly but not many fir trees. If I get a live wreath here itís crispy a week later.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:33 AM

2,626 posts, read 1,374,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes - my other half/roommate loved to decorate, but he was a pain about it. Always asking questions, telling me to get him this or that.

I figure, if you are going to take on a task - be prepared to do it all. Have all your parts ready to go, have a plan.

I don't understand - he was military and civil service - sheesh - I guess he didn't learn anything after 40 some years of military type service.

I refused to be his gopher.
Wow! This resonated with me, as I have always resented the fact that my projects I did myself; his projects became "our" projects, with me getting stuff, holding things, etc. It's still that way after decades, so I guess I should have put up or shut up long before now. (Guess I shut up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or