U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:38 AM

215 posts, read 70,183 times

Advertisements

As I get older, I keep it simple. Tree, nativity, Christmas banner, wreath on the front door. Gone are the days of scaling the roof & stapling the lights on, decorating the bushes, putting the snowmen around the elm tree, and hauling out the reindeer from the rafters of the garage, and then figuring out what to hook up with what to which outlet to get the whole thing to light up. I loved doing it at the time; the kids liked the end result, and back in the day, ladders and rooftops were not a problem. Nowadays, a mishap on either will result in a hospitalization or worse.

I have acquaintances in FL who keep their tree up year round in their house and decorate it monthly to coincide with holidays. In August, with no holiday, it has a flamingo motif. I love it!

Driving/walking about and admiring people's creativity and Christmas displays remains an enjoyment of mine and reinforces what a magical time of year it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 AM

508 posts, read 303,162 times
Less the past 10 or so years. I do have a small 3 footer with lights already on it. I add a few more ornaments and lights to round it out. It goes well on a lamp table in the corner of the living room

Last edited by fallstaff; 11-23-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 07:54 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,312,212 times
How much we decorate depends on where, and how long, we spend Christmas. This year we will be out of town during the holiday week, but we will have guests here for New Years. So we won’t do quite as much decorating. We purchased some beautiful poinsettias from a neighbors son (band fundraiser). We will put out our Black Forest carved angels and hang some special ornaments from on our childhood trees. We have a metal sculptural tree (that is not shaped like a Christmas tree) which is up all year. I enjoy Christmas scented candles-so we will probably light some a few times.

Christmas decorations are one thing that we did downsize when we retired. I prefer to decorate with natural elements, and generally they need to be gathered or purchased each year. The plus side is that they are biodegradable and there is no need for storage.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 AM

2,598 posts, read 1,357,733 times
Yah - we have degenerated from a huge tree with the house full of Xmas stuff, down to a little 1 foot tree that I bought in the dollar store and decorated with mini lights and mini decorations, plus a little garland around here and there.

I was very sentimental about all the decorations, the tiny villages, and so forth, but when I offered them to our daughter she wasn't interested. So they went into the junk pile (tree) and charity shop (decorations, etc.). I still miss them but it's not so much fun when you're the only one interested in the whole idea.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:02 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I used to have a closet full of just Christmas decorations

One year I just put them all out on the curb. They were picked up in five minutes!

We still have lots of stuff up in the attic

I could probably do that here too. It's amazing how much stuff we collect over the years.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:10 AM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
We downsized and donated our a 6 ft. artificial tree and the boxes of ornaments/decorations. Now we just have a 15 inch Pre-Lit Hand-Painted Ceramic Tabletop tree and I did keep my wreath to put on our front door and that's all we do now. I generally put out out little tree and wreath on Thanksgiving day.

Do you do decorate a lot or do you do less now?
I'm 62 and several years from retirement. I would not even consider not putting up a tree.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:11 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
Yes every year, we buy fresh tree and still decorate. I think as we age, we will get smaller tree. My husband can still lift and strap a 6 ft tree on our roof, when he canít then it will be much smaller tree.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM

32,058 posts, read 13,085,230 times
I always think, nope not gonna do it, then as Xmas gets closer I usually end up with some small decorations, only because my brother and SIL come over on Xmas day. Granddaughter isn't close (CA) and since my Mom died, I just haven't done much and no little kids. My Dad 89 comes over, he doesn't care one way or another.

I have a small fiber optic tree and some decorations, I'll probably do it.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:19 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Wow! This resonated with me, as I have always resented the fact that my projects I did myself; his projects became "our" projects, with me getting stuff, holding things, etc. It's still that way after decades, so I guess I should have put up or shut up long before now. (Guess I shut up).
And then the "have you seen my xyz" questions. Where would I even know where your xyz is? I never touched his stuff. I had my own tools until it came to the point that he would lose his xyz's and start using mine, so then I just gave up on having my own stuff and no longer do household repair type things.

Just to be funny when he would ask me if I had seen his xyz, I would say no, but have you seen my tampons?

Old 11-23-2018, 08:21 AM

6,048 posts, read 3,869,242 times
We have a decorated Christmas stick (with its own stand) that we have put up for the past few years. It has become a tradition of its own and we look forward to getting it ready each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or