U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:25 AM

11,096 posts, read 12,481,863 times

Advertisements

Nope, I live in the middle of no where so there's no point in decorating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 08:31 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,803,182 times
Nope sure don't never had a tree or decorations growing up and neither do we . My kids don't have any either they don't like the mess and the fuss and they married people who did not like Christmas or any holidays either and for that I am grateful .I live in a pretty big house and don't really want to store crap for the year .

Old 11-23-2018, 08:48 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,367,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And then the "have you seen my xyz" questions. Where would I even know where your xyz is? I never touched his stuff. I had my own tools until it came to the point that he would lose his xyz's and start using mine, so then I just gave up on having my own stuff and no longer do household repair type things.

Just to be funny when he would ask me if I had seen his xyz, I would say no, but have you seen my tampons?
Haha. I have lost my own "personal" pliers, my own steel tape, my own tack hammer, my own scissors that cut everything, you name it. I guess they will appear some day in his box of tools that I'm not supposed to get into. I finally put my foot down when he started borrowing my cloth tapes (well, actually I bought him another steel tape at Home Depot last Tuesday, to be added to "his" pile of clutter.)

Old 11-23-2018, 08:53 AM

6,323 posts, read 5,064,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Haha. I have lost my own "personal" pliers, my own steel tape, my own tack hammer, my own scissors that cut everything, you name it. I guess they will appear some day in his box of tools that I'm not supposed to get into. I finally put my foot down when he started borrowing my cloth tapes (well, actually I bought him another steel tape at Home Depot last Tuesday, to be added to "his" pile of clutter.)
I don't understand the cluttered toolbox. He spent years in the aircraft division of an air force base. Keeping track of your tools is very important. If one isn't returned to the tool box, no one leaves until it is found.

I was also in a maintenance unit. Our tools were set up the same way

My kitchen "junk drawer" was so beautiful. All it was missing was the outlines for the tools. Then he started getting into it. Now its just one big jumble - one day I will fix it but now I just dont' care -

Old 11-23-2018, 09:08 AM

2,617 posts, read 1,367,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't understand the cluttered toolbox. He spent years in the aircraft division of an air force base. Keeping track of your tools is very important. If one isn't returned to the tool box, no one leaves until it is found.

I was also in a maintenance unit. Our tools were set up the same way

My kitchen "junk drawer" was so beautiful. All it was missing was the outlines for the tools. Then he started getting into it. Now its just one big jumble - one day I will fix it but now I just dont' care -
I can TOTALLY relate!

Old 11-23-2018, 09:54 AM

31,696 posts, read 19,992,457 times
We do the same. It just gets done earlier now, because we have more time. Before I would procrastinate it until the last minute.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 11-23-2018, 09:57 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,918,284 times
Usually I put white lights on a tall houseplant...used to be a large Norfolk Island Pine. now just to have a little something. Live outside of town so no one to see any decorations...

Old 11-23-2018, 10:02 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,851,233 times
It depends on whether the grandkids/family will be at our place or if we have event/s planned here. Otherwise, we've gotten away from extensive decorating for ourselves.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:43 AM

1,662 posts, read 572,349 times
My tree history has been one of evolving from:

(a) 6-foot live tree in childhood. As for other decorations, just a door wreath and my mom's plastic creche.

(b) huge 10 ft live tree at then-husband's insistence, loaded with so much tinsel that you could hardly see the ornaments. My job was to decorate and un-decorate the whole thing and honestly I dreaded the second part because I got zero help with that and it was a major pain. Garland and other decorations all over the house. Then-husband put up outdoor lights on Thanksgiving weekend but it was always my job to take them down in frigid January.

(c) 6-foot white unlit (just ornaments) artifical tree for three years after breakup, which I chucked when it started yellowing. No tinsel. I did put lights over some of the foundation planting shrubs.

(d) 8-foot pre-lit artificial tree for abouit 10 years when it was just me and teen/college age son. The lights eventually failed in two of the sections, and it was a pain to bring the boxes out of storage because I don't do well on ladders. Hung a large pre-lit wreath on the front porch wall; easy-up, easy-down, hung it in the garage during off season. Put the tree out for trash in 2013 and gave son the big wreath for his own house. I still have 3 boxes of Hallmark ornaments though.

(e) For the past five years I've had just a small 3-foot fiber optic tree that I enjoy even though I can't put ornaments on it. No other decorations or lights. I really don't want to get involved with another tree (for storage etc reasons) but son and DIL just had a baby and I am thinking maybe I should have a tree again soon because of that. However, I really am not inclined to start with the tree thing again.

I've thought about getting one of these ornament-display trees but I honestly don't know if I'd like it once up.

https://www.hammacher.com/product/6-...t-display-tree

It certainly would be easy and of course no worries about having to put it within a certain distance of an outlet (no lights)... but then again, it's kind of a bummer that there are no lights, LOL

Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 AM

3,697 posts, read 1,873,794 times
I have a five year old Costco lighted wreath for the front door. That is my Xmas decoration. I swap out the Costco fall wreath for the Xmas one and it stays up until 12/26.... The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or