U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,766,106 times

Advertisements

I haven't for years, but as soon as I have a place of my own, I'm getting a small tree again for Christmas. I still have tons of Hallmark ornaments I can hang on the tree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 08:05 PM

13,321 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Never did, unpleasant early memories of the rancor between my Jewish father and Catholic mother, and have no desire to have a tree. I did just notice a lit-up tree across the way and it's very pretty but I think we should have lights all winter, as the original premise of winter lights could prevail.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,138,691 times
My wife still goes at it "whole hog". Outside decorations. Lights on the windows. Every sort of Christmas decoration known to man on the inside of our house. I wouldn't do any decoration if it were up to me. She decorates for every holiday. It is exhausting.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:28 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,671,079 times
We started decorating today. DH was humming as he was pulling boxes out of the back closet instead of going up the rung ladder to the attic to bring them down like he did for >30 years. That makes him ridiculously happy along with putting lights on the outside of the house in shorts and a tee shirt instead of being bundled up.

I got a text asking if we needed any help, the grandkids wanted to come over. They have their favorite ornaments and were digging through to find them. I prefer not to do it that way, I’m more organized, but I enjoyed watching them discover what they were looking for and finding ones they had forgotten about.

The last ten years before my Dad died, my parents told me every year they were not putting up a tree anymore. And each year they put up a tree because they missed it. Will I be putting up a tree when I’m ninety? If I’m around, maybe. It won’t likely be what I do today though.

When our son was at home, we drove to the Catskills to cut down a white spruce tree at a tree farm in the mountains and made a day of it. I made cranberry/popcorn string garlands, gingerbread men to hang on the tree and used real candy canes to put on the branches.

Now the tree is artificial with no day trip needed to find the perfect tree. After owning a dog who took bites out of the popcorn/cranberry strings and left only the heads of the gingerbread men, I saw the folly of that. I switched to wood beads and plastic candy canes. Christmas has always been what I’ve made it, and part of that had been being able to change with it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 11-24-2018 at 08:39 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 08:10 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,480,530 times
Over the years, I went from decorating with outdoor lights, full-size (although artificial) tree with the trimmings, and complete interior decorating (putting away year-round knick-knacks and putting out Christmas ones). A couple of years ago, I downsized to a 3-foot tabletop tree. Last year, I did outdoor lights and a couple of knick-knacks (no tree). This year, probably a few lights on the bushes and a few knick-knacks.

I'm not yet retired (getting close though) but kids are grown and young grandchildren don't come to my house on Christmas (we meet at my daughter's place). I don't know if I'll ever stop doing the exterior lights but I definitely will be keeping them at ground level and not on the house.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:28 AM

3,977 posts, read 1,116,597 times
We have a beautiful Alberta spruce in our side yard, visible from the street. We decorate it every year. We have the lights on a timer and they turn on about 5 pm and go off at midnight or so. It's a nice looking tree all the time, but it's really pretty with lights on it. When it occasionally snows it is gorgeous with the lights shining through the snow.

I've been retired since 2011, but we've always had some kind of tree. I really love our little spruce. It grows pretty slowly, so I don't expect it to be too big to decorate anytime soon.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:34 AM

8,795 posts, read 7,710,113 times
Yes. We live to celebrate the birth of the Savior.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,799,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yeah well since my friend lari died in January Christmas is not the same and it wont ever be again and little did I know that last Christmas would truly be her last Christmas . She kept her dx from everyone and it was ovarian cancer and it was 8 weeks from dx until her funeral , I just don't have it in me anymore . The sooner it is over the better .

This and not having trees or decorations as a kid ever . and my kids never had one either because

Old 11-25-2018, 11:10 AM

8,980 posts, read 7,749,631 times
Yesterday I put up a Red Ribbon on my mailbox post. Decorating done.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
i spend much of Saturday outside putting up lights and other decorations outside, and most of Sunday resting up from it. We do it mostly for the grandkids, it's definitely more like work than fun now. Normally I'll wait until it's at least December, but we had a rare dry day, and it's supposed to rain for the foreseeable future. We will get the tree next weekend when it's December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or