Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 12:11 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times

Advertisements

I have just joined AARP taking advantage of their Black Friday offer of $20 for 2 years.

AARP offers many membership benefits but the main ones I am interested in are travel discounts. I may consider AARP insurance offers later on.

I am likely to use AARP hotel discount since we are no longer AAA members. I found out few months ago that it only costs us few dollars a year to add road service to our Safeco car insurance so we decided not to renew our AAA memberships after being with them for over 30 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,777 times
I looked into AARP a number of times. However, for us, the AAA discounts, the military discounts, the senior citizens discounts all were the same or better than AARP.

I like staying a member of AAA because I get those tour books and other things beside roadside service.

Sending best wishes for much use and enjoyment with your AARP membership.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM

810 posts, read 870,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have just joined AARP taking advantage of their Black Friday offer of $20 for 2 years.
I renewed my AARP membership out to 2025 earlier this year. Like you, I took advantage of a discount offer as I plan to keep renewing it. Discounts on car rental and hotels, and there is usually something useful in each issue of the magazine. When the time comes, will enroll in the AARP/United Healthcare Medicare supplement (G plan).

When I first signed up, read the fine print and there is a number to call to opt out of the marketing mail from other companies. Did this, and it worked.

If AARP even lobbies a little bit on behalf of older people, count me in.

Last edited by volosong; 11-21-2018 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: added missing close quote hypertag

Old 11-21-2018, 03:26 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
I am likely to use AARP hotel discount since we are no longer AAA members. I found out few months ago that it only costs us few dollars a year to add road service to our Safeco car insurance so we decided not to renew our AAA memberships after being with them for over 30 years!
Be careful with that. I did that too with my State Farm policy and learned after the fact that State Farm considers using that aspect of the policy to call for a tow truck or other roadside assistance to be the same as a claim as if you were involved in a car accident. A claim is a claim is a claim....

After we used them a couple of times one year for tows after flat tires, I received a nasty little "friendly" letter in the mail informing me that we had made "a lot" of claims recently and warning me that if we kept it up, we'd be in danger of having our policy cancelled. Now, admittedly, this was also after my wife had been involved in a car accident about 18 months earlier that was our first "real" claim against the policy in about 30 years. So instead of considering us as having 1 claim in 30 years, they looked at it as us having 3 claims in a little over one year.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:40 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
I

No more maps or tour books for you!

will Safeco give you a 200 mile tow at no additional charge? Do they offer DMV services? Travel planing/agent and travel insurance? My guess is no. Gosh, not having to go to DMV alone is worth it!

We dropped our towing coverage on our two cars and RV policies. The savings equal half of our AAA membership.

Last edited by Mr5150; 11-21-2018 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times
We’re into the third year of a 5 year sign up withAARP, I keep telling my wife to dump them, seeing that we reap no benefit from being a member with the exception of countless advertising for insurance and plenty of robo calls, I’m sure they pass along your personal info.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:18 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
AARP was $4 a year back when I dumped them. They simply don't speak for me and I never had use for their discounts.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I lent an AARP magazine to a neighbor recently and she said she's joining just for the magazine.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:04 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
If you are looking at hotels, car rental and/or airlfare, the AARP "Travel Benefits" are no benefit at all. I've compared prices and, with just a few exceptions, the AARP price has higher. But for $20 there are some other perks.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:15 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
I haven't renewed my AARP membership in at least 5 years. They still send the magazine and newsletter. You can check out their website for free. I think when I got my AARP sponsored drug plan I had to join for a year. But since then I have not renewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement