U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM

144 posts, read 60,403 times

Advertisements

Before I retired, I would send cards to people I worked with, along with my family and friends. Now I only send cards to my family and friends. I love sending and receiving holiday cards. There's something special about receiving mail during holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM

23,780 posts, read 8,268,851 times
NO NO AND NO.....it's my age, I could care less about throwing more cards away.

A friend sent me a special card, not xmas in nature, but she says serves as holiday card...I'll save it.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:25 PM

144 posts, read 60,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I send Christmas cards, not holiday cards! I still send and receive about 20 and among our friends, sending a digital card went out of fashion years ago, when the novelty wore off.

Perhaps it is less of a trend in the US, but Facebook here is increasingly unpopular. I still have my account but do not post any longer. Only two of my friends still post occasionally. It still seems to be popular with my husband's Italian relatives who seem to use it to network their businesses.

I do not mind getting Christmas letters with the cards. Sometimes you do not see people nearly enough to keep up with what they are doing. I saw a friend last week who lives interstate. She could only stay a couple of hours and after she left I realised there was so much we had not discussed. I do find texting has replaced a lot of phone calls these days. But I would not text Chrismas greetings.
I love giving and receiving all kinds of cards. When I say holiday cards, I am referring to Halloween, Thanksgiving, Birthday, etc.....the list goes on. As one gets older it's nice to send and receive these cards. My family and friends enjoy it as well.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:28 PM

207 posts, read 31,888 times
I have always been hit or miss with sending out Holiday cards. In the last few years, I have sent out to family and a few friends (ones I always get from) and church friends. This has been a tough year with moving for a new job and DH still in previous state - youngest kids are now out of the house - I just don't have the energy.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:59 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,333,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
NO NO AND NO.....it's my age, I could care less about throwing more cards away.
Yikes

Old 12-13-2018, 07:27 AM

34 posts, read 22,683 times
I send about 40 cards a year (2 books of stamps) to friends and family. I enjoy this ritual. I write newsy notes to relatives I rarely see; folks I see often maybe get a one-line sentiment. :-) We only receive about a dozen cards from family and friends, but I don't mind. Everyone has their own way of enjoying the season, and I enjoy sending holiday cheer!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:46 AM

673 posts, read 2,028,978 times
My mum sent out a lot of cards, just like everyone else. I inherited the trait when I got married, but now I'm tired of it. I also noticed, like some other people on here, that I only got cards from some people after I had sent them one. I decided not to send a card to them until they send one to me. I have some special people on my list, who live miles away in Europe and Canada, and so cards to them are a must. Otherwise I'm over it.

My SIL is very crafty. She sent me a beautiful birthday card, with all sorts of things glued on, and even some cross stitching. It was lovely. But what do I do with it? I would feel terrible throwing it in the trash, so I just put it in a drawer. I wish people would not put me in this dilemma.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 AM

1,090 posts, read 490,434 times
We send about 25 cards a year, mostly to out-of-town family and some other far away friends we don't see as much (or at all) anymore.

I always make the photo cards with pics of our family. I like receiving these kinds of cards as well, I enjoy seeing how people's kids (and maybe the adults too, lol) have grown and evolved. There is one couple that is really into films, so they always do a green-screen photo of themselves against a movie backdrop (this year it was Jurassic Park) with corresponding holiday wishes. I have to admit I get a kick out of those.

I'm not a huge fan of the newsletters, since they tend to come from braggy types and are of the 2-page single spaced variety as mentioned above. And they aren't usually written in page-turner fashion either. Thankfully we don't get many of those.

Also, +1 for discontinuing sending cards to people who don't return the favor for many years (with the exception of some close relatives where that is understandable). I pared down my recipient list that way several years ago.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM

3,444 posts, read 1,535,055 times
I used to enjoy sending cards but I like to write, and I know that is a chore for many. I would write personal stuff to each recipient, tailored to them. But, not that many.

We are off the hook for any of that now, since there is no mail service here. I consider that a bonus, overall. It is sad to see some of these long-standing traditions die off, though...

Old 12-13-2018, 12:19 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,333,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
My SIL is very crafty. She sent me a beautiful birthday card, with all sorts of things glued on, and even some cross stitching. It was lovely. But what do I do with it? I would feel terrible throwing it in the trash, so I just put it in a drawer. I wish people would not put me in this dilemma.
As long as the sender doesn't know, I say throw it out with no regrets after you have enjoyed it. She already got her enjoyment out of it from making it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or