U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:11 PM

215 posts, read 77,891 times

Advertisements

I gave up on cards years ago. I did e-cards for awhile. Now, just cards to family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM

1,687 posts, read 585,570 times
A question for those of you who stopped sending cards, even to those from whom you were still receiving them: Did you give people a heads-up beforehand or did you simply stop sending?

If you did give them a heads-up, what did you say? Did you give any particular reason, explanation, apology, or whatever?

Old 12-14-2018, 04:59 PM

13,371 posts, read 6,390,348 times
No heads up here. I figure I sent our couple years and received no response is a good enough reason for me. For my immediate relatives, I did send one year on purpose and received no complaints but thanks, so that’s a good enough cues for me.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:34 AM

6,642 posts, read 3,696,925 times
I send out about 35 cards. I live 1000 miles from family so I make an effort to stay connected. Some are pointless because we are connected on Facebook anyway. I especially try to stay connected to my late wifeís family that way...it works reasonably well (Her cousins visited this year). I get maybe about 20 cards each year... most with notes or newsletters. I started doing a one-page newsletter years ago and now the wifeís family expects it and mentions it on occasion so I have to keep it up even though it is pretty dull reading.

My family is noncommicative for the most part. Iíve sent Christmas Cards to dead aunts and uncles for years because no one bothered to let me know they died.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
No heads up here. I figure I sent our couple years and received no response is a good enough reason for me. For my immediate relatives, I did NOTsend one year on purpose and received no complaints but thanks, so thatís a good enough cues for me.
Fixed, I left out the NOT.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I send out about 35 cards. I live 1000 miles from family so I make an effort to stay connected. Some are pointless because we are connected on Facebook anyway. I especially try to stay connected to my late wifeís family that way...it works reasonably well (Her cousins visited this year). I get maybe about 20 cards each year... most with notes or newsletters. I started doing a one-page newsletter years ago and now the wifeís family expects it and mentions it on occasion so I have to keep it up even though it is pretty dull reading.

My family is noncommicative for the most part. Iíve sent Christmas Cards to dead aunts and uncles for years because no one bothered to let me know they died.
This is rude behavior. My husband sent Christmas cards to his ex-boss/friend to his ex for years, until one year he replied back with a card heís currently engaged. Maybe the ex-wife didnít want to open those cards assuming theyíre married.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:52 PM

19,915 posts, read 18,921,677 times
Final card went out today. If I get anymore cards, I'm not sening one. It did turn out to be kinda fun getting cards though. I hope people had fun getting mine too.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:16 AM

2,171 posts, read 742,560 times
So far the ones I've gotten have been the ones with family pictures- no notes but I do enjoy seeing people's kids grow up. Still can't see much of a purpose to a card with nothing but a signature.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 AM
JRR

3,689 posts, read 2,235,454 times
We still get notes on some of the cards we receive and we enjoy reading them. Last week, we got one from my in her late 80s aunt who lives outside of Rome, NY. She said that it had snowed several inches and the snow was so wet that it clogged up her snowblower, so she had to shovel her 100 ft driveway by hand. That earns her a tip of my hat.

Last edited by JRR; 12-16-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 AM

151 posts, read 62,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
My mum sent out a lot of cards, just like everyone else. I inherited the trait when I got married, but now I'm tired of it. I also noticed, like some other people on here, that I only got cards from some people after I had sent them one. I decided not to send a card to them until they send one to me. I have some special people on my list, who live miles away in Europe and Canada, and so cards to them are a must. Otherwise I'm over it.

My SIL is very crafty. She sent me a beautiful birthday card, with all sorts of things glued on, and even some cross stitching. It was lovely. But what do I do with it? I would feel terrible throwing it in the trash, so I just put it in a drawer. I wish people would not put me in this dilemma.

I was just thinking of sending "hand-made" cards out as something different next year but, after seeing your post, i probably won't. After reading these posts, I'm seeing that sending cards are becoming a thing of the past. I wish holiday gifts would go by the wayside as well. I have so many useless gifts that people have given me over the years, and don't feel comfortable getting rid of them. Anyway, that's a different post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or